Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 11:20:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin-qt over ssh  (Read 2888 times)
glowkeeper (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2013, 01:31:19 PM

I am trying to run bitcoin-qt from my from ubuntu server onto my windows 7 machine. How do you do that?

I have cygwin, and have started the X server. But when I run ssh -X user@ubuntu machine, bitcoin-qt says it cannot connect to my X server.

I also have putty, with X11 forwarding enabled. That doesn't work either (same error).

Any help greatly appreciated.....
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 02:06:47 PM

I am trying to run bitcoin-qt from my from ubuntu server onto my windows 7 machine. How do you do that?
You can't use bitcoin-qt as a RPC client.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
glowkeeper (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2013, 02:37:31 PM

Oh. so the only way to run it is by being sat on the local machine?
SnitraM

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 02:38:37 PM

I have cygwin, and have started the X server. But when I run ssh -X user@ubuntu machine, bitcoin-qt says it cannot connect to my X server.

I also have putty, with X11 forwarding enabled. That doesn't work either (same error).

Any help greatly appreciated.....

Unless you have an X server running i WINDOWS, it doesn't matter how much forwarding you have.
SnitraM

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 02:41:11 PM

Unless you have an X server running i WINDOWS, it doesn't matter how much forwarding you have.

I missed that cygwin has an X server. Sorry. I haven't looked at cygwin in a long time and at that time I
didn't see any X server.
glowkeeper (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2013, 03:01:17 PM

I missed that cygwin has an X server. Sorry. I haven't looked at cygwin in a long time and at that time I
didn't see any X server.

I've also tried with Xming.

Perhaps I'm not setting DISPLAY properly before running bitcoin-qt? I've tried a number of things and I'm not certain which it should be....
domob
Legendary

Activity: 1135
Merit: 1166

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 06:25:56 AM

didn't see any X server.

I've also tried with Xming.

Perhaps I'm not setting DISPLAY properly before running bitcoin-qt? I've tried a number of things and I'm not certain which it should be....

I think ssh -X sets the DISPLAY at the host for you.  When I last used cygwin (in 2007 I think) it worked like a charm to do X forwarding.

Note however that in any case you should be able to use the command-line bitcoind RPC calls.  I do this from time to time (although GNU/Linux to GNU/Linux) and it works without any problems or caring about X.

Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/
Donations: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS | GPG 0xA7330737
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 07:59:07 AM

Sorry to hijack the topic, grue, are you aware then of a bitcoin RPC client that could connect to a bitcoind running on a distant machine? It seems it exists for android, what about windows and linux?

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
SnitraM

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 12:44:05 PM

Sorry to hijack the topic, grue, are you aware then of a bitcoin RPC client that could connect to a bitcoind running on a distant machine? It seems it exists for android, what about windows and linux?

bitcoind. Look at e. g. -rpcconnect=<ip>. (I haven't actually tried this.)

binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 12:47:15 PM

Ok, if it's possible good to know. However having bitcoin-qt or any other software with a GUI doing the same would be useful. 

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
SnitraM

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 08:42:26 AM

Ok, if it's possible good to know. However having bitcoin-qt or any other software with a GUI doing the same would be useful. 

Just use the tools that are there. Tunnel with ssh if you really need this. Something like

"ssh -NL localhost:6666:your.machine.with.bitcoind.you.want.to.talk.to:8332 your.user@your.machine.with.bitcoind.you.want.to.talk.to"

and then run "bitcoin-qt -rpcport=6666 -rpcuser=whatever.on.your.machine.with.bitcoind.you.want.to.talk.to -rpcpassword=xxx.on.your.machine.with.bitcoind.you.want.to.talk.to"

Again, I haven't tried this (with bitcoin-qt). I have tunnelled with ssh.
glowkeeper (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2013, 05:46:56 PM

How? Like you show above? That's tunneling, isn't it?
glowkeeper (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2013, 06:09:17 PM

"ssh -NL localhost:6666:your.machine.with.bitcoind.you.want.to.talk.to:8332 your.user@your.machine.with.bitcoind.you.want.to.talk.to"

and then run "bitcoin-qt -rpcport=6666 -rpcuser=whatever.on.your.machine.with.bitcoind.you.want.to.talk.to -rpcpassword=xxx.on.your.machine.with.bitcoind.you.want.to.talk.to"

That didn't work for me Sad Am I just being thick? I can't see where the port 8332 fits in the chain...
tiktoc

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 10:50:37 PM

port 8332 is the rpc port on the remote bitcoind you want to connect to through the tunnel.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: