Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:23:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there a good "recipie" for spending from a P2SH-P2PK address in bitcoin-qt?  (Read 968 times)
kokansei (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 07:24:18 PM

Hey guys.

I'm trying to claim some bgold coins that were sent to a P2SH-P2PK change address that armory created before the fork when I sent come coins to an exchange using the same address format (I am assuming, since their address also started with a 3).

I have access to the private key and address and all the raw transaction / address information that Armory provides. My question is: is there a straightforward way to use this information and the bitcoin-qt console to create a one-time transaction that I can then broadcast to transfer the forked coins?

I'm not afraid to tinker around with the console, but after hours of googling it seems like there is no obvious solution to this problem =(

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 07:26:48 PM

There's no easy way around it. It would be cheaper to just implement the fork replay protection in Armory.

kokansei (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 07:34:21 PM

Well at least now I know for sure that this is way out of my depth and I can give up for the time being.

I don't suppose there would be a way of putting up a bounty to get armory working with the bgold version of bitcoin-qt? Is it a realistic possibility?
goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 08:06:26 PM

Well at least now I know for sure that this is way out of my depth and I can give up for the time being.

I don't suppose there would be a way of putting up a bounty to get armory working with the bgold version of bitcoin-qt? Is it a realistic possibility?

I've looked at their signer code, that part is easy, basically already done in Armory since it copies the BCH replay protection as is. Couldn't find anything about their new address format or any of their other changes, so I'd have to actually crawl through their changeset to get this done, and well... what's in it for me? Realistically, BTG is a 1% bump for maybe a week of work, mostly spent trying to figure wtf they changed in there, with the added risk of fiddling with signer and address code?

Bottom line, the reward doesn't justify the risk.

Casimir1904

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 02:57:34 PM

I've looked at their signer code, that part is easy, basically already done in Armory since it copies the BCH replay protection as is. Couldn't find anything about their new address format or any of their other changes, so I'd have to actually crawl through their changeset to get this done, and well... what's in it for me? Realistically, BTG is a 1% bump for maybe a week of work, mostly spent trying to figure wtf they changed in there, with the added risk of fiddling with signer and address code?

And by the end of the week its even less worth.
Users lost already a lot with claiming Scamgold.
Probably better to just forget about and if there are splits/forks in the future you could always create a signer for them if they have longer term value.
Users could always move coins to P2PKH addresses before a fork/split and can easier split them that way if they want to.
Armory is also open source so if a decent dev team is creating a fork/split they could probably also submit a PR what goatpig could check and commit then or create a separated release or whatever.
If I would create a fork I would make sure that most wallets support it but most just want to get rich quick by creating forks without investing time and money into development.

R A D I X   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   The Decentralized Finance Protocol
█████████ GET TOKENS █████████    Facebook      Telegram      Twitter
The Radix DeFi Protocol is    SCALABLE SECURE COMMUNITY DRIVEN
goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 03:03:48 PM

Armory is also open source so if a decent dev team is creating a fork/split they could probably also submit a PR

Same as with BCH, no one from their team bothered to even email me to announce their fork. Really all it would have taken for me to provide support would have been to send me an email at worst a month prior to the fork with the list of commits that touch address format and signer changes, as well as access to their testnet. But neither did they bother doing that, like BCH they turned on their testnet AFTER their forked.

You'd imagine a sensible fork project would actually go out of its way to invite wallet and service providers to review their implementation for replay protection, but who am I kidding?

Casimir1904

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 09:01:29 PM

Armory is also open source so if a decent dev team is creating a fork/split they could probably also submit a PR

Same as with BCH, no one from their team bothered to even email me to announce their fork. Really all it would have taken for me to provide support would have been to send me an email at worst a month prior to the fork with the list of commits that touch address format and signer changes, as well as access to their testnet. But neither did they bother doing that, like BCH they turned on their testnet AFTER their forked.

You'd imagine a sensible fork project would actually go out of its way to invite wallet and service providers to review their implementation for replay protection, but who am I kidding?

BCH was rushed in to avoid Segwit on that chain so maybe a bit understandable at least.
Original plan for the UAHF was called off with BIP91 in the end it was the right step to continue as BIP91 had no consensus anymore after Segwit was activated so now at least those who want bigger blocks have them and those who don't want them have Segwit ( I still think increasing Blocksize on BTC would have avoid all the mess and wont have stopped development for other solutions but ok ).
Now we all have to deal with the mess and probably 100000000 more coming forks/splits.

From big blocker perspective it would've been better to not do BIP91 and just Fork much earlier with longer and better planning, even the momentum was much bigger for Big blocks before BIP91.

donut

Activity: 248
Merit: 252

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 04:44:41 PM
Last edit: November 22, 2017, 04:58:02 PM by donut

Well - it is currently a 3% bump. For some, that means nice Christmas gifts. Pretty please?

Could this be what you're looking for?

https://github.com/BTCGPU/BTCGPU/commit/4bdf8a8287b011d67658079da44e2ac1703b0d4b
goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 06:11:19 PM

It is but I've had other stuff thrown on my lap these past couple days which need my immediate attention. So, no guarantees.

gangtraet

Activity: 159

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 08:30:28 AM

It is but I've had other stuff thrown on my lap these past couple days which need my immediate attention. So, no guarantees.

I also have some BTG in my wallet, but I can fully understand if goatpig does not want to touch that "project" with a ten foot pole.

Bitcoin Gold is heavily premined, and would have been ignored if they had not generated interest by airdropping the coin to all BTC holders.  They have a history of linking to key-stealing wallets from their web page, wallets that steal both the BTG and the BTC when an unsuspecting user tries to split the coins (both a "web wallet" which asked you to type in the seed, and then promptly took all funds; and 'Electron Gold' which is a fork of Electrum claiming to be from the same developer as Electron Cash, but said developer is very busy warning against it on Reddit, and has posted documentation claiming that it transmits the private keys).

It stinks of scam.  I guess the only reason the price is still high is that the developers try to pump it - which of course is an argument for dumping as much BTG as possible :-)
Casimir1904

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 12:04:43 PM

I also have some BTG in my wallet, but I can fully understand if goatpig does not want to touch that "project" with a ten foot pole.

Bitcoin Gold is heavily premined, and would have been ignored if they had not generated interest by airdropping the coin to all BTC holders.  They have a history of linking to key-stealing wallets from their web page, wallets that steal both the BTG and the BTC when an unsuspecting user tries to split the coins (both a "web wallet" which asked you to type in the seed, and then promptly took all funds; and 'Electron Gold' which is a fork of Electrum claiming to be from the same developer as Electron Cash, but said developer is very busy warning against it on Reddit, and has posted documentation claiming that it transmits the private keys).

It stinks of scam.  I guess the only reason the price is still high is that the developers try to pump it - which of course is an argument for dumping as much BTG as possible :-)

Dumped already everything i had in p2pkh addresses, I give nothing about the coins in p2sh type addresses, if there will be ever a signer then ok, i would dump them as well, if not then also ok for me.
Probably more value in not wasting much time on this BS and working on other things.

kokansei (OP)

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 09:32:03 AM

<meme>So you're saying... there's a chance.</meme>

I respect that this will take up a lot of your valuable time, goatpig, and despite our differences RE: the scaling debate I have tremendous respect for your dedication to the Armory project. You are a great asset to bitcoin.

Since I suspect there are more than just a few people who would like to take advantage of the airdrop but currently can't, I would like to pledge 20 BTG as "gratitude money" for a version of Armory that works with bitcoin gold's bitcoin-qt client, to be paid in BTC or any other crypto of your choice. I wish there was more I could do, but with my skill set all I can offer is a modest sum of money as a token of my appreciation.

On the one hand I would personally like to be able to access my stuck coins, and on the other hand I think that enabling seamless fork arbitrage is important to the overall health and growth of the ecosystem.
goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 03:18:12 PM

<meme>So you're saying... there's a chance.</meme>

Yeah, definitely. It's mostly a matter of schedule and effort.

Since I suspect there are more than just a few people who would like to take advantage of the airdrop but currently can't, I would like to pledge 20 BTG as "gratitude money" for a version of Armory that works with bitcoin gold's bitcoin-qt client, to be paid in BTC or any other crypto of your choice.

I would rather you put together a bounty for someone to do the work so that I just have to review a PR. I don't need your money, I'd be getting an airdrop as well if I was to implement BTG support.

On the one hand I would personally like to be able to access my stuck coins, and on the other hand I think that enabling seamless fork arbitrage is important to the overall health and growth of the ecosystem.

I'm a solo act and can't afford to support every fork under the sky under the guise of airdropped $$$. The airdrop part is a dangerous enough precedent as it is. Unless these forks demonstrate some form of resilience, I won't be looking at them.

Not to mention that the effort to support BTG is like 3x that of BCH and this falls at a bad time on my schedule too. At any rate, I can't deal with BTG until my new SSD is delivered, as I'm out of free space (too many copies of the blockchain =O)

kokansei (OP)

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 03:48:58 PM

I'm out of free space (too many copies of the blockchain =O)

LOL, I can sympathize. Got way too many copies myself.

I would rather you put together a bounty for someone to do the work so that I just have to review a PR.

That is certainly understandable. I will look into it, but I'm not sure where I should advertise the bounty. Is there anywhere in particular with good prospects? 
goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 05:11:23 PM

That is certainly understandable. I will look into it, but I'm not sure where I should advertise the bounty. Is there anywhere in particular with good prospects? 

I guess start it here and link it on whatever forum/subreddit the BTG crowd hangs in.

Casimir1904

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 05:13:31 PM

And now another scamcoin comes... Bitcoin Diamond...

Easy solution for those who want to claim those scam coins:

Setup Online/Offline wallet with electrum, move your coins to a new electrum wallet before the fork block.
After the fork block move your coins back to armory.
Once the scamcoin releases a wallet you can import the empty btc privkeys into it and dump the scamcoin.

Or just move them to a tmp armory wallet into a p2pkh address and export the base58 key after you moved the BTC back to your normal wallet after the fork block.

I guess there will be several 100 or 1000 forks in the future, no way to support them all in armory without getting a dedicated dev team just dealing with forks/airdrops/splits.

goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 05:32:06 PM

I guess there will be several 100 or 1000 forks in the future, no way to support them all in armory without getting a dedicated dev team just dealing with forks/airdrops/splits.

Depends on the valuation, those idiots may just be financing development at this rate =D

TierNolan
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1083

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 02:59:14 PM

Is there a way to get Armory to export the private keys for spent transactions?

The second question is that if there are risks associated with doing that.  I guess it would mean that loss of the chain code would mean all future Bitcoins addresses for that wallet are at risk?

1LxbG5cKXzTwZg9mjL3gaRE835uNQEteWF
goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 03:17:58 PM

Is there a way to get Armory to export the private keys for spent transactions?

When you export private keys you get the whole list, whether they hold coins or not.

The second question is that if there are risks associated with doing that.  I guess it would mean that loss of the chain code would mean all future Bitcoins addresses for that wallet are at risk?

You would expose the entire private chain, just like a BIP32 wallet. The proper approach is this: if you've exposed a single private key, consider the wallet compromised and move all of its holdings to a fresh wallet.

TierNolan
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1083

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 04:09:45 PM

That is what I was thinking.

So optimal method for dealing with an air-drop.

- wait for fork (plus some blocks on both sides)

- move all Bitcoins to a new wallet
-- use an N in and 10+ output transactions to at least pretend that it is a coinjoin
-- large coins should be moved using 1 to 1 transactions (over a few days)

- wait for BTC to confirm into new wallet

Sync air-drop client
- export keys of interest from old wallet to new-coin-qt

1LxbG5cKXzTwZg9mjL3gaRE835uNQEteWF
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: