Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:27:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICQuest - Custom built mining appliance for BFL FPGA and ASIC  (Read 4445 times)
btcnoodle (OP)

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 04:40:04 PM
Last edit: June 25, 2013, 09:28:26 PM by btcnoodle

ASICQuest 0.1.1 alpha Released!

We are proud to announce the alpha release of our new bitcoin mining appliance. ASICQuest was developed out of our own need for a full featured bitcoin miner that was easy to setup and use. It is extremely resource efficient, using only the minimum system resources to achieve the desired performance. It was developed on SuseStudio for maximum flexibility of system design and future versions. Ease of use was the primary goal in developing this. Designed to run in appliance mode it is purpose built for one thing only, bitcoin mining! This version features cgminer 3.2.2. with support for Butterfly Labs FPGA and ASIC equipment.

Download (will require creating an account with SuseStudio);

http://susestudio.com/a/yy4ne1/asicquest0-1-1

If you are concerned about the security of a pre-built installation we would like to point out that all components of the appliance can be examined at SuseStudio.com. In order to download images you will need to create an account on SuseStudio. Once logged in you will be able to see the base build images used and see for yourself exactly what it contains.You can even build your own version if you want.

User Guide

In order to get started using your ASICQuest mining appliance you will need to first decide which platform is right for you and then download the related package. Windows users can extract the files using 7-zip  http://www.7-zip.org/download.html. Specific installation requirements will vary based on which platform you are using but the general installation procedure is the same across all platforms;

-Confirm that the appliance has DHCP network/internet access. It will attempt an auto configuration of the network settings on boot.
-Once the boot process is complete you should see a waiting command line interface. The first thing you will typically want to do is change the passwords for both the ‘root’ and ‘miner’ accounts. To do this first switch to the root account and change it: ‘su root’ then ‘passwd’ and enter your new password. Next do the same except for the ‘miner’ account: ‘su miner’ then ‘passwd’.
-type ‘sudo cgminer’ then enter the root password to launch the mining software, enter your pool information and you’re mining! Remember to save your cgminer settings so that you don’t have to enter the pool information each time. This is done with the key commands ‘S’ to enter settings, ‘W’ to write the config file (just hit enter to use the default file location), then any key to return to the main console.

That’s it! As an appliance there really aren't many other things you can do. There will be some adjustments needed based on your specific requirements but all of this should be easy if you are familiar with your network and host environment. For example, we prefer to run the virtual platform versions using NAT rather than bridged networking. Another example might be if you are using the Live CD you may have to make adjustments based on the host hardware such as display options. So far in our testing the default settings have generally worked fine.

This section will be expanded and revised as we gain more experience with the appliance. We encourage the community to help us test and refine.

If you find this useful please throw a btc donation our way. Future development will depend on the interest (funding) level.

16pXEerHmxHUfL9GH38dpsmJoXXbgcUJwS

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
btcnoodle (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 09:34:05 PM

0.1.1 released due to problem with running cgminer as default user. I'll be working on that. In the mean time I made a few changes that allow you to sudo it.
btcnoodle (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 07:06:35 PM

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me test this thing.
crazyearner
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 02:04:01 PM

1 too big 2 only bitcoin you need sotmhing that works everything or your not going to get many if any at all using. 100+ mb download in iso format what is this an OS designed for it based of linux?

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
Zanatos666

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Sometimes man, just sometimes.....

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 02:15:35 PM

This is a Live CD, versus an OS that runs off say a flash drive?  Thats not optimal if you ask me.  That would mean that every time you ran the disc (say after a power outage) I would have to reconfigure all of my settings, right?  Which also means I cannot simply just make my settings and then make an image of my drive and be able to duplicate it over to another drive and be back up and running in case of a failure.  And the constant spinning of an optical drive would wear down quickly versus a flash drive.

Please correct me if I have any of this wrong.

Squiggly letters, written really fast, with a couple of dots for good measure.
btcnoodle (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 02:28:05 PM

1 too big 2 only bitcoin you need sotmhing that works everything or your not going to get many if any at all using. 100+ mb download in iso format what is this an OS designed for it based of linux?
It is a small linux distro custom built with SuseStudio specifically for mining bitcoin. I should be able to add scrypt support easy enough in the next version. Thanks for the input! Yes, the file size is big compared to just the mining applications but this was really designed to be a quick path to getting up and running without having to manually configure everything while still being able to see (through SuseStudio) all the source code and scripting. One of the great things about SuseStudio is that it allows me to publish in different formats including iso, raw disk image, vmware, etc. In the future when I want to make updates it will be really easy to push the changes out to all the different install media. I use the virtualized versions but you might prefer a bootable usb install. Then you always have the live CD option that could be used to turn any machine into a miner fast.
btcnoodle (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 02:33:34 PM

This is a Live CD, versus an OS that runs off say a flash drive?  Thats not optimal if you ask me.  That would mean that every time you ran the disc (say after a power outage) I would have to reconfigure all of my settings, right?  Which also means I cannot simply just make my settings and then make an image of my drive and be able to duplicate it over to another drive and be back up and running in case of a failure.  And the constant spinning of an optical drive would wear down quickly versus a flash drive.

Please correct me if I have any of this wrong.

You can download several different formats:
- LiveCD, mainly for quickly getting any machine up and running
- USB disk image for making a bootable thumb drive option (this allows you to save the settings)
- VMware, Xen, Hyper-V options which let you do all the cool stuff virtualization allows, such as using the free vmware player to run this linux miner along side of your windows or mac desktop.

Again one of the nice things about SuseStudio is that it allows me to publish all of these formats easily. If you set up an account on SuseStudio you can also clone the image and customize it for your own needs. In the future when I need to make an update such as for example the latest version of cgminer, it's easy to publish the change to all versions.
crazyearner
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 10:35:51 PM

BTC,TRC,PPC and LTC,FTC, and a few others would be a good start to it and also Asic support to detect from network if you can do that on it that is whee it detects the rig or rigs connect by network and sends the units to work

=
  R E B E L L I O U S