Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 08:11:15 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is Palio diet and how effective is it for weight loss?  (Read 2404 times)
colino (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2013, 05:21:33 PM

I have started taking serious actions for losing weight, and recently I have read lot of stuff on the web space about palio diet. Can anyone tell me what exactly does it means and is it really useful for weight loss?
greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 06:15:58 PM

Paleo diet. It's a fad.

Wanna lose weight? Lift heavy, run hard, eat natural, sleep well, ignore Internet fads.
chipug

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

696B6111

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 06:34:00 PM

Does not look good for you at all.
Diets that limit food groups and ban certain foods like that just put the weight back on as soon as you start trying to eat them again anyways.
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 07:13:02 PM

It is not a fad... if you mean a high-fat low-carb diet.  That is the natural diet for humans. There is lots of science to support it.
The current status quo guidelines that say high-carb low-fat is best is based more on politics from the 70's than on science,
and look at how obesity and associated health problems like type-2 diabetes have sky-rocketed since then...  

Carbohydrates ( sugars; starches; grains ) are non-essential to human functioning ( the body can create the glucogens
it needs itself without us having to consume it directly ) and carbs create high insulin levels which keep fat from being
burned as a fuel and causes it to build up in the blood, and stored as body fat...  A high-fat low-carb diet ( with a
medium amount of protein ) doesn't limit 'essential' food groups and is therefore not unbalanced.  

Check out the book, The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living

A couple essays from their books:

The Sad Saga of Saturated Fat
http://artandscienceoflowcarb.com/the-sad-saga-of-saturated-fat

You Are Not What You Eat
http://artandscienceoflowcarb.com/you-are-not-what-you-eat

One can lose weight without depriving oneself of good tasting food or feeling hungry all the time...  

e.g.  Bacon!  

It works for me.  
Portnoy
Legendary

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 07:26:23 PM

Paleo diet. It's a fad.

Wanna lose weight? Lift heavy, run hard, eat natural, sleep well, ignore Internet fads.

High-fat/low-carb 'is' natural.  Look at the traditional diets of the Inuit ( fat from seal and caribou );
Plains Indian ( buffalo and deer fat made into pemmican* ) and West Coast Indians ( candle fish grease );
Masai ( Cow fat and cow blood ), and many other traditional cultures.
That is why it is called things like the Paleolithic/Caveman/Hunter-gatherer diet.      

* Like the Inuit(Eskimo) they gave most of the meat to their dogs, but dried some of it.  

Fat is where it is at.  We are not what we eat anymore than cars are made out of gasoline.   Wink
chipug

696B6111

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 07:45:54 PM

There is a lot of science to support many diets for humans, I agree. What works for some might not work for others.

I think it is a fad in that people only try them for a short while.  These branded diets are too specific and marketed for be a certain time length to encourage the dieters to do it by giving them a focus point...at the end of which a promise of being able to re-introduce the banned foods gradually, though inevitably the weight returns with bad habits as the diets fades away. A big part of large weight loss is morale to keep going and feeling they are cutting things out can get some folk really down...and back on the cakes with a vengeance!

People could live on 'ideal' diets but majority can't last and the quick loss and repeated gain takes its toll on health in itself.
Encouraging changing eating patterns, portion size and increasing activity needs to be looked at too imo.
greyhawk

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 08:23:41 PM

Paleo diet. It's a fad.

High-fat/low-carb 'is' natural.  Look at the traditional diets of the Inuit ( fat from seal and caribou );
Plains Indian ( buffalo and deer fat made into pemmican* ) and West Coast Indians ( candle fish grease );
That is why it is called things like the Paleolithic/Caveman/Hunter-gatherer diet.      

* Like the Inuit(Eskimo) they gave most of the meat to their dogs, but dried some of it.  

Fat is where it is at.  We are not what we eat anymore than cars are made out of gasoline.   Wink

I know the selective science going into paleo and its focus on native americans. It is completely ignoring the thousands of years maize/corn was a staple food of Woodland Indians and how they extensively farmed and cultivated maize and potatoes. It is also ignoring how this more stable food supply led to the Woodland Indians being more healthy and thus more "fruitful in multiplying."

I concur that the low-fat high-carb model as such is flawed and there is a dire need to generally reduce carb content especially in prepared foods (with HFCS being the main culprit).

The Paleo Diet however is just one of many variants of high protein high fat diets we have seen in the last two decades (from Atkins to Metabolic Diet to Anabolic Diet to I'm forgetting a lot of these). Paleo is currently "in", which is why I named it a "fad". In a year or two you will have another variant of high protein high fat being proposed under a new name. I've seen it happen often enough.
Portnoy
Legendary

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 08:25:28 PM
Last edit: June 25, 2013, 08:41:35 PM by Portnoy

There is a lot of science to support many diets for humans, I agree. What works for some might not work for others.

True. People need to find what works for them and not rely on one-size-fits-all type of guidelines.   In terms of the
science which suggest that high-carb is better than low-carb... Many of those studies were short-term and it has
been shown in other studies that it can take a month or more to adapt the body ( ketoadaption ) to start using
fat as fuel instead of sugar.  

I think it is a fad in that people only try them for a short while.  These branded diets are too specific and marketed for be a certain time length to encourage the dieters to do it by giving them a focus point...at the end of which a promise of being able to re-introduce the banned foods gradually, though inevitably the weight returns with bad habits as the diets fades away. A big part of large weight loss is morale to keep going and feeling they are cutting things out can get some folk really down...and back on the cakes with a vengeance!

Yes, and one must be careful not to blame a general diet for someones lack of being able to follow it, or a poorly formulated diet
( just to jump on the bandwagon and sell some books ) for the science that backs up the general theory.

There are many low-carb diets which are indeed of the faddish variety which leave out important things... for example a good
high-fat/low-carb diet needs to include an increase of salt intake because the kidneys tend to flush out salt instead of storing it...
salt of course is important and if one doesn't get enough of it one can feel light-headed ( and may even faint ) and feel lethargic ...
such symptoms are sometimes called 'the Atkins flue'.  One must also make sure they get enough magnesium to avoid muscle cramping,
as one may not get enough magnesium under a poorly designed high-fat/low-carb diet.  But it is easy to make sure one gets enough
salt and magnesium and to drink more water then they perhaps did before... so I wouldn't say that is enough to throw the baby
out with the bathwater especially when there is so much health to gain and body fat to lose.  

People could live on 'ideal' diets but majority can't last and the quick loss and repeated gain takes its toll on health in itself.
Encouraging changing eating patterns, portion size and increasing activity needs to be looked at too imo.

The great thing about a proper high-fat/low-carb diet is that one can feel satisfied with the foods that are available and so
it is less likely that one will quit and go back to a sugars to satisfy themselves.  

Of course I am not telling anyone what to eat.  One can look into the studies and science behind these various things...
and/or try different things for themselves...  One can even not bother checking things out and just go with official
nutritional guidelines...  I am sure the government wouldn't lead anyone astray ( they even have many
universities - which depend on government funding - to back them up.   Wink  I am not saying it is some big conspiracy
but it wouldn't be the first time some well known and highly paid researcher didn't accept new findings and admitted
they were wrong... )
greyhawk

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 08:36:12 PM

I am not saying it is some big conspiracy but it wouldn't be the first time some well known and highly paid researcher didn't accept new findings and admittedthey were wrong... )

Oh, it absolutely a conspiracy. Only it's out in the open. The Dietary Guidelines for Americans are pretty much written directly by scientists employed by the agricultural industry lobbies.

There's some great documentation on that out there. I'll go see if I can find that again.
Portnoy
Legendary

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 08:41:00 PM

Paleo diet. It's a fad.

Fat is where it is at.  We are not what we eat anymore than cars are made out of gasoline.   Wink

I know the selective science going into paleo and its focus on native americans. It is completely ignoring the thousands of years maize/corn was a staple food of Woodland Indians and how they extensively farmed and cultivated maize and potatoes. It is also ignoring how this more stable food supply led to the Woodland Indians being more healthy and thus more "fruitful in multiplying."

I concur that the low-fat high-carb model as such is flawed and there is a dire need to generally reduce carb content especially in prepared foods (with HFCS being the main culprit).

The Paleo Diet however is just one of many variants of high protein high fat diets we have seen in the last two decades (from Atkins to Metabolic Diet to Anabolic Diet to I'm forgetting a lot of these). Paleo is currently "in", which is why I named it a "fad". In a year or two you will have another variant of high protein high fat being proposed under a new name. I've seen it happen often enough.

Well I don't know about the Paleo Diet in particular. I am talking about high-fat/low-carb in general.

Of course one can use grains etc. to give one sugars to fuel ones body, but it may not be ideal for everyone and high-fat/low-carb may be better for many if not most people. The fact that the body doesn't seem to be designed to store much sugars as fuel ( which is why marathon runners and other high performance athletes need to keep taking it to avoid slamming into the wall ) and that the body readily stores fat that it doesn't immediately burn seems to suggest it is the bodies preferred fuel source. Even an athlete with a lean body ( ~ 10% body fat ) still has lots of fat stores to maintain high performance over a long period of time. More and more very high performance athletes ( e.g. ultra-marathoners ) seem to be getting into high-fat/low-carb diets.

About agriculture and what it has done for our health over time... here is another article worth pondering:

Breeding the Nutrition Out of Our Food
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/26/opinion/sunday/breeding-the-nutrition-out-of-our-food.html  

And again let me reiterate my point from my last post, that I am not suggesting what is the right diet for anyone else.
Like with money ( to perhaps bring in a bit of topical relevance for what this forum is about   Wink )
I feel it is best for each person to take responsibility and action for ones own well-being.  
Portnoy
Legendary

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 08:44:44 PM

I am not saying it is some big conspiracy but it wouldn't be the first time some well known and highly paid researcher didn't accept new findings and admittedthey were wrong... )

Oh, it absolutely a conspiracy. Only it's out in the open. The Dietary Guidelines for Americans are pretty much written directly by scientists employed by the agricultural industry lobbies.

There's some great documentation on that out there. I'll go see if I can find that again.

Yes I am sure there is a lot to that...  I just haven't looked too much into all that myself.  I am more interested in finding what works for me and following that. 
Portnoy
Legendary

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 08:51:20 PM

I haven't read it yet but I heard this book gets into a lot of that:

Good Calories, Bad Calories: Challenging the Conventional Wisdom on Diet, Weight Control, and Disease

While also seemingly backing up the science in the 'Art and Science of Low Carb' book I already mentioned:

Quote from: Gary Taubes in Good Calories, Bad Calories
In this groundbreaking book, the result of seven years of research in every science connected with the impact of nutrition on health, award-winning science writer Gary Taubes shows us that almost everything we believe about the nature of a healthy diet is wrong.

For decades we have been taught that fat is bad for us, carbohydrates better, and that the key to a healthy weight is eating less and exercising more. Yet with more and more people acting on this advice, we have seen unprecedented epidemics of obesity and diabetes. Taubes argues persuasively that the problem lies in refined carbohydrates (white flour, sugar, easily digested starches) and sugars–via their dramatic and longterm effects on insulin, the hormone that regulates fat accumulation–and that the key to good health is the kind of calories we take in, not the number. There are good calories, and bad ones.

Good Calories
These are from foods without easily digestible carbohydrates and sugars. These foods can be eaten without restraint.
Meat, fish, fowl, cheese, eggs, butter, and non-starchy vegetables.
chipug

696B6111

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 08:52:24 PM

Well I don't know about the Paleo Diet in particular. I am talking about high-fat/low-carb in general.

I'm pretty sure OP was asking about Paleo diet in particular

Yes I am sure there is a lot to that...  I just haven't looked too much into all that myself.  I am more interested in finding what works for me and following that. 

...and asking advice....
greyhawk

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 08:53:52 PM

I haven't read it yet but I heard this book gets into a lot of that:

Good Calories, Bad Calories: Challenging the Conventional Wisdom on Diet, Weight Control, and Disease

Not a bad book, if a bit on the light side for my taste. I like my stuff to be "more fat" in academic content. I'll go have a look for what I'm thinking of tomorrow when I can access my databases again.
Portnoy
Legendary

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 08:56:41 PM

I'm pretty sure OP was asking about Paleo diet in particular

...and asking advice....

I am sure he will find much to chew on with the information I and greyhawk presented.   Wink
bitcoinscanada

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 09:49:55 PM

Paleo diet. It's a fad.

I don't think it's a fad. I think it's how we ate during our evolution to get us where we are today.

Meat, veggies, fruit, nuts, eggs, plus anything else we could easily find.

High in vitamins and minerals to help fight disease.
rawspe

Activity: 24

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 01:39:13 AM

If you are just trying to lose weight, the best thing to do is to just eat less. This might sound simple but it's actually very hard to practice. Sure exercise helps but changes to your diet is where 80% of your weight loss come from. Many things suggest eating less calories under a certain threshold. I've found that if you drink a lot of beverages like juices and soda, then you can possibly lose about 500-1k calories just by switching to pure water. Fruit juices and smoothies sound good and healthy but they actually tend to take away the fiber that you would normally get from the fruit itself. So eat less calories and drink water is your easy key to weight loss. Replacing unhealthy food for healthy food also helps as well.
ohegarty

Activity: 4

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 01:18:12 PM

Check out Dr. Terry Wahl's work on Minding Your Mitochondria.

Also, why not just try it for 6 weeks? Your body will let you know. Go heavy on the fresh veggies.
akeetlebeetle

Activity: 221

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 05:19:35 PM

Better than paleo is keto: http://www.reddit.com/r/keto

Works wonders for diabetes, high blood pressure, weight, acne, pretty much all diseases of civilization.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 05:22:36 PM

Stop eating trash food, start eating health food, do not eat TONS of food and start do something. Problem solved without alien "diets" or whatelse

Yes you have to eat less. No, having a breakfast with eggs and bacon and butter is not ok.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: