Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:01:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [WTS] Redeemed 2011 (error) 1BTC Casascius Coin/Round [Clean and Make Perfect!]  (Read 1166 times)
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 08:25:33 PM

Hi everybody,

I have liked to stockpile redeemed Casascius coins for some time. The offer permanently stands (until I say otherwise-unless I get hit by a rush and can't afford it-very unlikely): I will trade you $1 Face Value of pre-'65 US junk silver coins (I'll even to my best to accommodate whichever denomination(s) you want-dimes, quarters, or halves).

Anyways, I am offering this redeemed 2011 (error-had hologram misspelling...but not like you can distinguish anyway) 1BTC Casascius Coin/Round. It is a desirable collectible in and of itself. However, you can also reload it (I can provide you with materials and instructions if you want to do this).

You can use brass polish to get this coin looking perfect. Or, believe it or not, you can use ketchup. It does the trick-maybe not as well as brass polish, but pretty well. I'd clean it for you but I literally have no ketchup (if my girlfriend grocery shops and buys ketchup before I ship, I'll do it for you lol).

I'm not going to put a price on this piece of history...if you're interested, please post your offer here and if I find one I like, I'll PM you.

Thanks!

(its tough to make out the year...I promise its 2011 lol)

You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vitalemontea

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 08:27:31 PM

So why do exactly these piece of shit coins with SPELLING ERROR cost a lot?
I just keep seeing people buy these like hotcakes
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 09:11:53 AM

You must be new here.
vitalemontea

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 07:05:11 PM

You must be new here.
Enlighten me?
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 12:16:39 AM

You must be new here.
Enlighten me?
www.casascius.com

These coins were produced as early as 2011. There is no rival to Casascius coins. An unredeemed coin has a hologram on the back. When you peel off that hologram, there is a code, which you redeem online for a bitcoin (if its a 1BTC coin-he has .5, 1, 5, 10, 25 and even 100 BTC products). The 2011 (original) coins are rare and extremely valuable. They had a spelling error on the hologram; it said "Casacius" instead of "Casascius". To see just how valuable one of those is (unredeemed), do a search on eBay (its crazy). This is one of the original coins that was (unfortunately) redeemed-the hologram backing was taken off and the code was redeemed. I have my own tamper-proof holograms and like to reload these things with a bitcoin myself ("cold" or offline storage is probably the safest way to store your bitcoins). You can use redeemed coins to do that, or you can buy them simply as a collectible.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 04:09:42 PM

They are valuable because they are the original issue and are hard to get, and not really because there is a spelling error. The other difference is that the partial public key is printed on top of the hologram. Subsequent runs have used a different hologram.

I guess some people might assign value to the spelling error, but it is not really what a coin collector would consider to an error, which is an error in the manufacturing process.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 04:12:49 PM

... This is one of the original coins that was (unfortunately) redeemed-the hologram backing was taken off and the code was redeemed.

There is no way to know for sure if these are the original issues, because there are also 2011 coins that are series 2.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 09:20:46 PM

They are valuable because they are the original issue and are hard to get, and not really because there is a spelling error. The other difference is that the partial public key is printed on top of the hologram. Subsequent runs have used a different hologram.

I guess some people might assign value to the spelling error, but it is not really what a coin collector would consider to an error, which is an error in the manufacturing process.

Flaws make currency worth more.

http://www.banana-label.net/labelhistory/tof_01_2007.html
http://www.coinnews.net/tools/error-coin-price-guide-with-mint-error-photo-descriptions/
odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 08:25:54 AM

http://www.coinnews.net/tools/error-coin-price-guide-with-mint-error-photo-descriptions/

All of your examples are flaws in manufacturing. I don't think that is the same thing. Besides, the Series 1 coins would be just as valuable even if there weren't a misspelling.

johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 10:25:47 AM

All of your examples are flaws in manufacturing. I don't think that is the same thing. Besides, the Series 1 coins would be just as valuable even if there weren't a misspelling.

In the coin/paper note collecting world, a spelling error is a HUGE error, and would make the piece worth A LOT.
odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 08:40:41 PM

In the coin/paper note collecting world, a spelling error is a HUGE error, and would make the piece worth A LOT.

Imagine there were two batches of the series 1 coin. 1% had the correct spelling and 99% had the misspelling. I believe that the coin with the correct spelling would be more valuable.

johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 09:56:23 AM
Last edit: June 29, 2013, 10:09:47 AM by johnniewalker

Imagine there were two batches of the series 1 coin. 1% had the correct spelling and 99% had the misspelling. I believe that the coin with the correct spelling would be more valuable.
Obviously, yes. I'm saying that the very nature of any currency w/a spelling error IS its rarity. Not sure what you're trying to say. Yes, rarity is the cause of everything. ECON 101: Economics is about managing scarce resources for as many people as possible (something like that.)

BTW: the last post (quoted) is about the most useless one I've ever seen.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: