Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Closed  (Read 1850 times)
atomium (OP)
Donator

Activity: 406
Merit: 252

Study the past, if you would divine the future.

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 08:41:38 PM
Last edit: January 24, 2019, 05:03:10 PM by atomium

Closed

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2013, 08:46:46 PM

The speculators are always hovering in the shadows, same as in any market. They just don't have a lot to do at the moment; they are biding their time. Possibly. The timing of the next bitcoin boom or crash is anybody's guess.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 08:54:29 PM

Seems like the price has been stable for the past months after the major crash from 260, good for merchants, bad for investors.

Is now the time to take it mainstream since the risk isn't high anymore?

No.

The price went to $2 after that. There is no stability in Bitcoin, it's only preparing for a massive move, and the longer and tighter it becomes, the sooner and more violent.
pirateat4O

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2013, 09:02:52 PM

You guys are asking for trouble.
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 09:23:53 PM

What makes you say that the speculators are gone? We're just not in the run-up to bubble anymore. Lots of speculators holding (......who will later capitulate).
nobbynobbynoob

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2013, 09:27:49 PM

What makes you say that the speculators are gone? We're just not in the run-up to bubble anymore. Lots of speculators holding (......who will later capitulate).

They will buy on lower prices, not sell. Why sell lower when you could've sold higher?

BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 09:31:03 PM

They will buy on lower prices, not sell. Why sell lower when you could've sold higher?
Tell that to the people who sold at 20, 10, 5, 2 in 2011 on the long way down from 32.
nobbynobbynoob

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2013, 09:36:43 PM

Quote from: nobbynobbynoob
Tell that to the people who sold at 20, 10, 5, 2 in 2011 on the long way down from 32.

The 10-30 segment of that runup was an obvious bubble so those who sold above $10, especially if they rebought later, look smart with hindsight.

But this isn't 2011 so we can't say the pattern will repeat itself exactly like that. When the April bubble popped, a low of 80% below the peak was already well tested. And $10 to $250 isn't the same as 50c to $30 in any case. 2011 was a pure bubble. Now, the situation on most counts is very different, including the market and the inflation rate. So drawing parallels to 2011 isn't a strong basis for a bear case.

A lot of the panic selling has already happened. If the price falls markedly over the next few weeks that'll be a good opportunity to buy, if one has spare fiat. And if people are short of spare fiat with which to buy bitcoin, then that would explain the falling prices. Smiley I've noticed a bit of coïncidence between price troughs and personal fiat shortages, and maybe it isn't generally just a coïncidence. If people don't have the cash to keep pumping in to buy, then the price needs to fall...

MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 09:45:59 PM

That's really easy to say in hindsight, isn't it?

Why would I sell at 100 when I could have sold at 260? Why would I sell at 50 when I could have sold at 100? Because I didn't sell, and I fear the price will go lower yet and I will lose even more value. Ergo, panic. That's the capitulation mindset... and you just assume it won't happen. That's fine, but if you're 100% BTC right now, I suggest rethinking that.

A lot of panic selling has happened, yes. Point still remains.
atomium (OP)
Donator

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 09:51:17 PM

Why would I sell at 100 when I could have sold at 260? Why would I sell at 50 when I could have sold at 100? Because I didn't sell, and I fear the price will go lower yet and I will lose even more value. Ergo, panic. That's the capitulation mindset... and you just assume it won't happen. That's fine, but if you're 100% BTC right now, I suggest rethinking that.

I agree with you here, many people that sell fear that the price will drop and bitcoin will become non-existant while others just hold on the longest they can until they can either make a profit or breakeven.

Will getting big investors really make btc increase in value or getting the general public to adopt bitcoin make it shoot up.
atomium (OP)
Donator

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 09:54:17 PM

The speculators are always hovering in the shadows, same as in any market. They just don't have a lot to do at the moment; they are biding their time. Possibly. The timing of the next bitcoin boom or crash is anybody's guess.

Yea I think the biggest crashed has already happened, only if the early adopters or bitcoin enthusiasts decide to cashout will it become a disaster. But then again was bitcoin really made to make people rich or to provide a way of moving money faster and a small cost.
Frozenlock

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 10:05:41 PM

There's also the bulls buying at a "cheap" price, realizing that it wasn't so cheap after all.

$260 ---> $100
"Woohoo! Cheap coins! I'll load the truck!"

$100 ---> $80
"Man, I wish I had some fiat left to buy and average down! I'm in for the long term anyway."

$80 ----> $70
"Er... this is weird... is there some bad news I should know?"

$70 ---> $60
"Ok, we are in a downtrend... if I sell now I can accumulate more coins for the future..."
d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 6216

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 10:31:16 PM

I expect the price to stay in the ~90 - ~135 zone the next 4-5 months.  I only see it breaking out of this zone with major news (positive or negative).

Reasons:
- Interest in Bitcoin stays higher than in February and has stabilized at the mid-march level. See Google trends for "bitcoin" and even more clearly for "buy bitcoins" and "sell bitcoins" That means a relatively high influx of new Bitcoiners, but not enough to move price upwards. (Indicating stability)
- No major downward move after last bad news (Cease-and-desist letter, MtGox holding USD) (slightly bullish)
- New better exchanges about to come (BTC Global, Kraken), MtGox about to deliver new trading engne (slightly bullish)
- Price after the MtGox-Coinlab dip in the seventies never stood for a long time in the ~90 area. That indicates that speculators see this price as "cheap". (indicating stability)
- Oscillators indicate we are neither overbought nor oversold (indicating stability)
- On the other hand, we have no reasons for a major upward move. Not many good news last month. (slightly bearish)
- Bitstamp wall stays high and will make it difficult to surpass $130-$135. (slightly bearish)
- Finally: Almost equal distribution of bears and bulls in the forum. (indicating stability)

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 11:05:58 PM

Seems like the price has been stable for the past months after the major crash from 260, good for merchants, bad for investors.

Is now the time to take it mainstream since the risk isn't high anymore?

What makes you think there isn't high risk anymore?  With great risk comes great reward, as we have seen, but that pendulum can swing both ways.  We are still very much in a risky period.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 11:49:21 PM

Speculators gone? Pshh
Speculators never leave a financial market

RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 11:54:52 PM

There's also the bulls buying at a "cheap" price, realizing that it wasn't so cheap after all.

$260 ---> $100
"Woohoo! Cheap coins! I'll load the truck!"

$100 ---> $80
"Man, I wish I had some fiat left to buy and average down! I'm in for the long term anyway."

$80 ----> $70
"Er... this is weird... is there some bad news I should know?"

$70 ---> $60
"Ok, we are in a downtrend... if I sell now I can accumulate more coins for the future..."

This exactly! Sure panic already happened, but there are trades every day that may become overvalued and cause panic. There are hundreds of thousands of coins that were bought on the way down, and will be during the next panic. There will never be any shortage of panic sellers.

byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 06:18:19 AM

Speculators gone? Pshh

In utopias they do.

naima53

Activity: 616
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 06:43:41 AM

Maximum of 2011, has not been tested, a maximum of 2013 (50) was tested only once. Traders don`t have enough confidence in the growth without retesting the previous highs. The fact that we see the last 2 weeks is a major player in an attempt to go against the market (single spikes at the market price once every few days). Perhaps this is a major investor is trying to protect their investment (he does not want to wait a long time and wants to solve the ascending triangle break up). But we must realize that thousands and thousands of old coins lie unused, run the parser independently and see for yourself what is in blockchain.

https://github.com/znort987/blockparser

Donate me) 16f6iWHHkVEnDReeBQPT9GwCNwUfPTXrp2
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 07:18:03 AM

Speculators gone? Pshh

In utopias they do.

The word comes from the Greek: oὐ ("not") and τόπoς ("place") and means "no place".

So... never.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
atomium (OP)
Donator

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 11:29:49 PM

now that mtgox can operate in the US price should start to shoot up, no?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: