Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 09:54:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to get an address?  (Read 263 times)
legend018 (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 01:17:13 AM

I'm checking out the bitcoin wallet on my android.  It has the options to request coins or send coins. Don't I need to sign up for a blockchain address?  Did I miss something. I keep scoring the forum and other resources.  I've even looked here: https://github.com/bitcoin-wallet/bitcoin-wallet

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitfort

Activity: 952
Merit: 339

invest trade and gamble wisely

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 01:44:20 AM
Last edit: November 20, 2017, 01:54:45 AM by Bitfort

I'm checking out the bitcoin wallet on my android.  It has the options to request coins or send coins. Don't I need to sign up for a blockchain address?  Did I miss something. I keep scoring the forum and other resources.  I've even looked here: https://github.com/bitcoin-wallet/bitcoin-wallet

Do not mix up blockchain and blockchain.info. First one is lets say a "technology" (publicly accessible ledger) second one is a company providing wallet service and blockchain explorer.
And no, you don't need to sign up anywhere. When you use the "request coins" in your wallet you basicaly create the address

P.S: in reality it's a bit more complicated but I'm sure when will try to explain it I make you even more confused so let's stick with this simple explanation for now. Learn more after you get some confidence in the basics.

MY HINTs
◄M► MINING
◄G► GAMBLING
◄E► EXCHANGE

◄E► (KCS) Kucoin-Staking, Auto-Lending, Trading-Bot
◄E► (BNB) Binance-Staking, Savings, 10% RefBack
◄E► (TRX) Poloniex-Staking, Lending, Fee Discount
◄E► (LEO) Bitfinex-Staking, Auto-Lending

◄G► Betfury-Faucet, Dividend Earnings (BFG holders, mine BFG by playing)
◄G► Bitvest -  Faucet, Bankroll Invest
◄G► CryptoGames-Faucet, Lotto
◄G► PrimeDice-Faucet

◄M► Prohashing (Multipool)-Payout in any coin, get 0.50% bonus for 30 days
◄M► MiningRigRentals (Marketplace)-buy hashrate or rent your miners
◄M► Viabtc  (Pool)-payout to Coinex (exchnage) without fees

legend018 (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 01:53:43 AM

oh ok.  So I'm reading all about a private address and an address like an email address that you need and so on.  Even discussions about storing your address in a safe. then I download that app and i can just (as you say) when I request coins, it will generate an address.
So a different address is stored each time? What is this super secret key that I keep hearing about that you should store on a piece of paper and lock it up somewhere super safe?
Bitfort

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 02:02:37 AM

oh ok.  So I'm reading all about a private address and an address like an email address that you need and so on.  Even discussions about storing your address in a safe. then I download that app and i can just (as you say) when I request coins, it will generate an address.

Yes, usualy the wallet  "generates" (or provides you with) the same address until is used. Then it will generate new one and so on. This is common.
Storing address safely is not necessary ( unless you don't want other people to know how much coins you have). Important is to store safely your private keys ( and master seeds, mnemonics ...)  

So a different address is stored each time? What is this super secret key that I keep hearing about that you should store on a piece of paper and lock it up somewhere super safe?

Once the address is use it should be ( but you can use it repeatedly there is no problem with that).
Thats the mnemonic phrase (or seed). And this is VERY IMPORTANT to store it safe as anybody who knows it HAS ACCESS TO YOUR WALLET (can spend funds from it).
From this seed are generated all your private keys ( which are keys to your funds ).

MY HINTs
◄M► MINING
◄G► GAMBLING
◄E► EXCHANGE

◄G► PrimeDice-Faucet

legend018 (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 02:08:02 AM

so do I basically get this mnemonic phrase when I buy my first coin or fraction of a coin? 
Bitfort

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 02:12:35 AM

so do I basically get this mnemonic phrase when I buy my first coin or fraction of a coin?  

No, you get it from the wallet software when you creating new wallet.
Most wallets are deterministic (HD wallet). Those gives you such seed (12,18,24 words).
If you already have a wallet and haven't stored your phrase then you should not use it (as you have no backup ... something happens to your phone and funds are gone).

May I ask which wallet you are using?

MY HINTs
◄M► MINING
◄G► GAMBLING
◄E► EXCHANGE

◄G► PrimeDice-Faucet

ruchi85

Activity: 140
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2017, 02:19:38 AM

There are predominantly two types of wallets. Wallets where you get to keep your private key, and wallets where you don't get to keep your private key. These wallets further break down to desktop wallets, online wallets hardware wallets and paper wallets. Needless to say that the safest are the ones where you get to keep your private key. This way you are responsible for your own wallet and nobody else. There are various wallets out there that are designed to store cryptocurrencies belonging to different blockchains. My Ether Wallet, Meta Mask, NEO to name but a few. You can very very easily register and get a public address with any of these wallets. 

▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ AMLT by Coinfirm ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ The Token of Compliance ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄ Facebook   ❱ ❱  Twitter   ❱ ❰  Telegram ▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
legend018 (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 02:28:06 AM

I downloaded the original bitcoin wallet. It said it was the original one so I thought that might be a good one to try. It's very basic. It is the orange circle with the dollar sign B inside.  I don't see anything about creating a new wallet or any private keys for me. It does have a menu with Safety under it and an option to backup wallet.  But it's not like I open the app and see a way to create a wallet and get this private key that I get to keep.    I should also mention it's on my Android phone.

Bitfort

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 02:37:26 AM

I downloaded the original bitcoin wallet. It said it was the original one so I thought that might be a good one to try. It's very basic. It is the orange circle with the dollar sign B inside.  I don't see anything about creating a new wallet or any private keys for me. It does have a menu with Safety under it and an option to backup wallet.  But it's not like I open the app and see a way to create a wallet and get this private key that I get to keep.   

Hmm I'm cant say which one is it. The only original BTC wallet is QT (and that one would not run on android). Proper wallets should give you big red warning to make a backup right after you start it (and create new wallet).
Problem is if this wallet is not deterministic you have to make backup everytime you generate new address. This is very unhandy.

I recommend you to make a new one. Here is nice overview: https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet   (im very happy with electrum and mycelium ... both are deterministic)

MY HINTs
◄M► MINING
◄G► GAMBLING
◄E► EXCHANGE

◄G► PrimeDice-Faucet

legend018 (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 02:44:19 AM

Hmm I'm cant say which one is it. The only original BTC wallet is QT (and that one would not run on android). Proper wallets should give you big red warning to make a backup right after you start it (and create new wallet).
Problem is if this wallet is not deterministic you have to make backup everytime you generate new address. This is very unhandy.

I recommend you to make a new one. Here is nice overview: https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet   (im very happy with electrum and mycelium ... both are deterministic)

I actually used that site to pick the one I picked. : ).  It's this one: https://bitcoin.org/en/wallets/mobile/android/bitcoinwallet/
I take it that is not a deterministic one?
Bitfort

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 02:56:03 AM

I actually used that site to pick the one I picked. : ).  It's this one: https://bitcoin.org/en/wallets/mobile/android/bitcoinwallet/
I take it that is not a deterministic one?

I have no experience with this one and can't find the specific note if is or not HD wallet.
When you click on backup. What's the output? Is it ask you to safe a file? Provides you with seed? Or anythig else?

MY HINTs
◄M► MINING
◄G► GAMBLING
◄E► EXCHANGE

◄G► PrimeDice-Faucet

legend018 (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 03:03:56 AM

I have no experience with this one and can't find the specific note if is or not HD wallet.
When you click on backup. What's the output? Is it ask you to safe a file? Provides you with seed? Or anythig else?

Under Safety is Backup Wallet. It says your backup will be encrypted with the chosen password and written to external storage. then when you
back it up it says it's been baked up to your device but that you should archive it somewhere externally basically (in so many words). Or if it's a removable SD card then the backup would be stored on that card.
Bitfort

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 03:12:13 AM

Under Safety is Backup Wallet. It says your backup will be encrypted with the chosen password and written to external storage. then when you
back it up it says it's been baked up to your device but that you should archive it somewhere externally basically (in so many words). Or if it's a removable SD card then the backup would be stored on that card.

Hmm, to me it seems it is not the HD type (but I could be wrong). I highly advise you to use some HD one ( for reasons stated above ).

MY HINTs
◄M► MINING
◄G► GAMBLING
◄E► EXCHANGE

◄G► PrimeDice-Faucet

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: