Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:28:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: do you have a 3d printer ?  (Read 1444 times)
zackclark70 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

ADT developer

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 09:59:19 PM
Last edit: June 26, 2013, 01:22:25 AM by zackclark70

i have a plastic sprocket approx dimensions are 10mm x 12mm does anyone have a 3d printer that can print one ?
( needs to be as strong as posable its a part for rc car that they havent made in 4 years so are very hard to get )
i can email picks and send the part to you

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
d3m0n1q_733rz

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 01:00:08 AM

You'll need it drafted if it is to print.  Teeth will be difficult if it's particularly small depending on the resolution of the printer.  You may need something specialized to handle small parts.  Something with 1/16th stepping enabled, and with a much smaller diameter print nozzle.  There are generally two different plastic types to work with.  You'll probably want ABS, but it will be difficult to shape the gear out of it depending on how small it is.

So, the parameters are thus:  Ensure a heat-bed is used, add some cooling (but not too much) for the gear teeth, make sure that the highest resolution possible is used (a stepper-motor driver capable of 1/16th microsteps) as well as a small print nozzle.  But drafting the part will be the most difficult.

Funroll_Loops, the theoretically quicker breakfast cereal!
Check out http://www.facebook.com/JupiterICT for all of your computing needs.  If you need it, we can get it.  We have solutions for your computing conundrums.  BTC accepted!  12HWUSguWXRCQKfkPeJygVR1ex5wbg3hAq
zackclark70 (OP)
Legendary

ADT developer

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 01:21:35 AM

You'll need it drafted if it is to print.  Teeth will be difficult if it's particularly small depending on the resolution of the printer.  You may need something specialized to handle small parts.  Something with 1/16th stepping enabled, and with a much smaller diameter print nozzle.  There are generally two different plastic types to work with.  You'll probably want ABS, but it will be difficult to shape the gear out of it depending on how small it is.

So, the parameters are thus:  Ensure a heat-bed is used, add some cooling (but not too much) for the gear teeth, make sure that the highest resolution possible is used (a stepper-motor driver capable of 1/16th microsteps) as well as a small print nozzle.  But drafting the part will be the most difficult.

thanks i have been looking for good info its anoying they stoped making the part over 4 years ago and people that are seling it are looking for over 200 gbp for a part that cost less than 3gbp when thay were making them  Angry

once i have 1 and have tested it to see if it works i would be looking for 100+per batch of them if the price is right

this is the part >http://www.hpieurope.com/showimage.php?imgSrc=/graphics/parts/72208/01.jpg

if it cant be 3d printed is there any other options ?

edit i would also need the part drafted

zackclark70 (OP)
Legendary

ADT developer

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 01:38:49 AM

i will have a look in the morning and get good picks and dimentions ( 2.31am here )

i took it to a shop and they wanted
10000gbp for them to make an injection mold and make 100 of them and thy keep the mold  Angry or
1500gbp for 10 made out of aluminuim still cheaper than buying the over priced plastic ones

any cheaper altenatives ? its no more than 15mm x 15mm i would be willing to send out one of the plastic ones so somone could get mesuremnts from it  Grin

hodginsa

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 12:16:13 PM

I can do the cad for you if you send me all the dimensions/pictures. I like doing this stuff and I'm currently on a co-op for designing automotive parts in CATIA. I will be able to provide you with a STP or STEP file, which any 3d printer or cnc machinist would be able to open.

Though I will tell you, I've had experience printing gears on a 3d printer(used a $17000 printer at my school) and if they're too small they just will not work at all without a pro who knows what they're doing. The teeth look bigger than what I was doing though.

Gears are not cheap. Let me know what you want to do. It would probably take me <1 hour to get you a cad file. As long as the tooth profile isn't overly complicated.
zackclark70 (OP)
Legendary

ADT developer

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 01:23:19 PM

thanks will pm you when i get a min  Smiley

BadBitcoin (James Sutton)
Donator

Activity: 452
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 06:39:13 PM

i have a plastic sprocket approx dimensions are 10mm x 12mm does anyone have a 3d printer that can print one ?
( needs to be as strong as posable its a part for rc car that they havent made in 4 years so are very hard to get )
i can email picks and send the part to you

my school has 5 3d printers we can use, if I remember correctly they charged 6 dollars per cubic inch, might do it if its worth my while, I can CAD it pretty quick.
danieldaniel

Activity: 854

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 09:51:27 PM

I could do it for $10 + shipping.  I'd have it shipped by Friday.  PM me if that sounds good for you.

MangoJ

Activity: 222
Merit: 100

BTCRaven.com Escrow & Advertising

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 06:42:14 AM

I have a 4 axis CNC mill and can do it in aluminum or steel!
Plastic breaks.

I have autoCAD, and visualmill premium!
I can CAD, CAM and Gcode like a boss.

Automated Escrow  For instant BTC transactions without waiting for a 3rd party.  http://BTCRaven.com
jeannie

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 06:46:21 AM

You need to take ten pictures from all angles and use cubify.com software to convert it to stl files and hope that it will work

riceberry

Activity: 491
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 10:16:39 AM

I can 3d model from a paper sketch if you want (specifically for 3d printing, kinda poor timing for me to actually print it this week as i brought my machine down for maintenance, am busy with other projects, but in the next few weeks I'll have it back up running and would be able to make high resolution ABS prints of parts.

Perhaps someone else is already doing it for you, but in case you need some help, let me know
zackclark70 (OP)
Legendary

ADT developer

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 10:52:27 AM

Plastic breaks.

what country are you in ? I would be able to send you the part that needs to be made

to everyone else I will get back to you if this falls threw 

thanks to everyone that has replied on this thread

MangoJ

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 10:49:52 PM

Plastic breaks.

what country are you in ? I would be able to send you the part that needs to be made

I live in the USA.  Grin
Yes you can send me the part.  Sounds small so it would be cheap.  If it was large or if you feel lazy I would say don't bother.
Just take a few pictures of it for me of all points of interest.  Then put some calipers on it to size it up.
Send me all the measurements and I could make a 3D model of it in any file format you can read, or show the model to you on youtube.

I think Aluminum would be best for this, light, and corrosion proof.

I already have scrap that would be big enough to cut down to this size.

How much are you willing to pay for this?

I just saw your picture for this gear, I will need to order an engraving bit for cutting the teeth depending on how you want this made.  (Something I need anyway)

Automated Escrow  For instant BTC transactions without waiting for a 3rd party.  http://BTCRaven.com
zackclark70 (OP)
Legendary

ADT developer

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 10:55:57 PM

Plastic breaks.

I live in Lynnwood, Washington, USA.
Yes you can send me the part.  Sounds small so it would be cheap.  If it was large or if you feel lazy I would say don't bother.
Just take a few pictures of it for me of all points of interest.  Then put some calipers on it to size it up.
Send me all the measurements and I could make a 3D model of it in any file format you can read, or show the model to you on youtube.

I think Aluminum would be best for this, light, and corrosion proof.

I already have scrap that would be big enough to cut down to this size.

How much are you willing to pay for this?
Do you need just one of these parts?

I think it would be best if I send you the part so its 100% the same ( I don't 100% trust my measuring lol )

I would me looking for one to start with as I would need to test it if it works well I will be looking for 100 in the 1st big batch

I will take some pictures and send them to you so you can see how it needs to be

once I have sent the picks and mesurements  u can give me a quote  Smiley it would need sending to the uk will I take picks in the morning when there is good light

thanks

zack

jeannie

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 11:56:43 PM

cubify.com has a service to print for you online known as cloud printing for 3d objects, but it is quite costly

MangoJ

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 12:26:50 AM

I think it would be best if I send you the part so its 100% the same ( I don't 100% trust my measuring lol )

I would me looking for one to start with as I would need to test it if it works well I will be looking for 100 in the 1st big batch

I will take some pictures and send them to you so you can see how it needs to be

once I have sent the picks and mesurements  u can give me a quote  Smiley it would need sending to the uk will I take picks in the morning when there is good light

thanks

zack

Sounds good.
So correct me if I am wrong.  You are in the UK, or you need dropshipping to the UK.
You will send pics and measurements first for a quote before you send the original?
But you do not trust your measurements and want to send the original for me to measure and make sure I have an exact clone.

Take your time, I will dust off the CNC and get everything together in anticipation of making some gear widgets for you!
=)
Making just one as a proof of concept is a perfect idea before making a bunch.

MangoJ

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 01:26:56 AM

This may be a lot tougher than you think.  From the looks of that image, the root of the gears may be on the order of 0.1 mm.   It's going to be tough to get a mill small enough in diameter to make the cuts, and long enough to do the full depth of the gear.  The surface finish of the teeth is critical so that you have a continuous contact surface.  If it's not right you will generate hot spots and the plastic will weld itself and tear locally.

It will be a good learning project... get yourself a reference on involute geometry so you know what you are trying to accomplish.

Disclosure:  I did quality assurance for a manufacturer of automatic transmission parts a lifetime ago.
I welcome friendly comments that are intended to be helpful.
You are correct, this would be a big pain for a noob. 
I do not speak all of the buzzwords of a textbook machinist, but I am not a student and I know what I am doing.   Grin
I would never attempt to cut this on 3 axis.
Cutting on a 3 axis would mean I would need such a small bit, with a flute length equal to the width of the gear.  Even peck drilling would make that... a slow and foolish way to do it.  4th axis all the way!!

A milling bit of 1/32 = 0.03125
1/16th = 0.0625

An engraving bit with a point of 30 degrees will be accurate to 0.001 with no effort.  (On a 4th axis cut)
The right engraving bit for the teeth of the gear will be something to figure out later.  Perhaps a custom cut HSS bit made just for this.

Plastic would be difficult and weaker than aluminum so I have urged the OP to allow me to make this with aluminum.
Perhaps Derlin.

I would not attempt to cut this on 3 axis.. but rather from a 4th axis to get the teeth cut smoothly and easily as the gear rotates around.

A 3 axis would take far too many passes with a much too thin bit.
With the 4th I can use a nice fat ANYTHING with a nice sharp point so long as it is the appropriate angle to cut those teeth.
Fewer passes too.

MangoJ

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 02:39:34 AM

Have fun with it.  I would build the mating gear and drive it with a variable speed drill to test.

Good idea to find any mistakes.  Cheesy

zackclark70 (OP)
Legendary

ADT developer

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 03:40:17 PM

here are some picks of the gear I took on my phone so they are not 100% http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/zackclark70/library/

I will measure it when I go around my friends later today

MangoJ

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2013, 09:56:12 PM

here are some picks of the gear I took on my phone so they are not 100% http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/zackclark70/library/

I will measure it when I go around my friends later today

Sounds good. 

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: