Bitcoin Forum
June 04, 2024, 11:35:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Check for an ICO Hype  (Read 422 times)
esmkt (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 02:04:15 AM

With all these ICOs popping up like mushrooms all looking very similar, things can get overwhelmingly confusing.

One pattern I noticed was that the bigger the hype, the larger the return is.

How do you guys check an ICO's hype?

Personally, I do the following:

- Check bitcointalk announcement page
- Check ICO FB page and look at engagement (likes can be bought so not really useful)
- Check Youtube and filter by viewcount

Any other tips?
WhichIsGood

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Young, Dumb & Broke

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 02:17:10 AM

With all these ICOs popping up like mushrooms all looking very similar, things can get overwhelmingly confusing.

- Check ICO FB page and look at engagement (likes can be bought so not really useful)

Any other tips?

Include there the following:

-Read their WHITEPAPER
-See if they have Roadmaps
-Background Check the people behind it
-See if their product is promising

Research thoroughly before you participate in ICO's.

bribed

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 03:23:54 AM

Any other tips?

-Read their WHITEPAPER

All of these tips are legitimate and should be done before investing, but the topic creator asked about how to evaluate the hype of an ICO. I personally have made bad experiences with overhyped ICO's so I let them pass in general and look for the unhyped gems. Everyone his own.
nydiacaskey01
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1036

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 03:45:15 AM

Any other tips?

I agree with checking feedback in Bitcointalk announcement and also look at Reddit for any Subforum about the ICO, but for the Likes in the FB pages and Youtube, those likes can be bought to make it appear theres a lot of interest in the ICO.

-Read their WHITEPAPER

You hit the bulls eye on this those 4, white paper is a must. It should be written professionally and easy to understand. The 4th item is the first thing that would be investor should scrutinize, is the project promising or its just another project copied from another project with a little twist example are those debit cards.
esmkt (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 03:49:15 AM

Any other tips?

-Read their WHITEPAPER

All of these tips are legitimate and should be done before investing, but the topic creator asked about how to evaluate the hype of an ICO. I personally have made bad experiences with overhyped ICO's so I let them pass in general and look for the unhyped gems. Everyone his own.

Yes, correct.
which overhyped ICO did you buy?

Heard you can also check the viewcount of an ICO's webpage but I'm not sure how.

Can someone teach?
sltshp

Activity: 140
Merit: 10

EFFECT.AI▲Decentralized network for A.I&#965

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 03:51:14 AM

You can also join their telegram/slack. Monitor how active the chat is, its usually a good indicator of interest.

esmkt (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 04:03:09 AM

I agree with checking feedback in Bitcointalk announcement and also look at Reddit for any Subforum about the ICO, but for the Likes in the FB pages and Youtube, those likes can be bought to make it appear theres a lot of interest in the ICO.

Yeah, which is why I mentioned "engagement" and not likes - comments, youtube reviews, blogposts, etc.
esmkt (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 04:12:40 AM

You can also join their telegram/slack. Monitor how active the chat is, its usually a good indicator of interest.

sorry a bit new - can you please point me to where I join telegram/slack. thanks!  Grin
Teraboy

Activity: 2282
Merit: 505

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 04:45:37 AM

Any other tips?
The better thing than all of the thing that you have mentioned in your post, just like you can try to participate in the social group or chat just like slack or discord. It seems better than just analyze it through the facebook page. Many project don't own their facebook page. If you are seeing the latest successful project just like oracle.
Lorraine.alex

Activity: 9

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 04:53:40 AM

Check white paper
Verify that the team is real
Watch milestones
ivakar

Activity: 756
Merit: 507

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 05:00:47 AM

Any other tips?

I try to collect free airdrops only and that is all
so I never go into into ICO with real cash cause a lot of them looks like SCAM and it is real hard to understand if they are not scam
panjay

Activity: 1079
Merit: 352

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 05:04:15 AM

Use #(insert ico that you want to search) on twitter, look for feedback or OG tweets about them, but be careful some of them looks like legit but in reality it's just another shitcoin.
BaeNaNa

Activity: 286

Cryptics

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 05:14:51 AM

ICO with hype is bad usually so avoid them if you see them. I usually join their chat group, telegram / slack to see how many people in thechat room. If it's too much then i will avoid it, i also check youtube videos, if too many youtubers promote them it's bound to get overhyped.

apex944

Activity: 149

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 05:19:04 AM

Don't forget the telegram group and how they correspond with their supporters. The more proactive they are, the better. For example, cybermiles's telegram group grew from 200 members to almost 6000 members in a few weeks just based on how proactive their team is.
esmkt (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 05:21:44 AM

ICO with hype is bad usually so avoid them if you see them. I usually join their chat group, telegram / slack to see how many people in thechat room. If it's too much then i will avoid it, i also check youtube videos, if too many youtubers promote them it's bound to get overhyped.

why do you say so? i have always thought that hyped ICOs will get a larger exchange price bec of high demand vs supply.
KuromaYoichi

Activity: 756
Merit: 251

Sovryn - 300-500% APY on USDT Deposit

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 05:30:29 AM

why do you say so? i have always thought that hyped ICOs will get a larger exchange price bec of high demand vs supply.
From my experience, a lot of hype will generate a lot of demand of course, but the supply itself is very big because the project want to collect as much money as they can so it will even out in the end. And another cons is they attract a lot of people that are new to investment and flippers. If they decided to give bonus, people will sell it immediately causing the price below ico, not to mention bounty if there's any. Flippers want to sell immediately because they want to jump into another project making the supply > demand, and the panicing new investor will also sell theirs at loss for the final touch.

.The DeFi for Bitcoin Platform.            ███   ███
           ███   ███
          ███   ███
         ███   ███
        ███   ███
       ███   ███
      ███   ███
     ███   ███
    ███   ███
   ███   ███
  ███   ███
 ███   ███
███   ███
▄  ▄██████████████████████▄  ▄
 ▀▄ ▀████████████████████▀ ▄▀
  ▀█ ▀████▀ ▄▄            █▀
   ▀█▄ ▀█ ████████████▀ ▄█▀
     ██▄ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███  ██
      ███      ▀█▄ ▀ ▄██
       ███▄ ▀█████ ▄███
        ████ ▀██▀ ▄███
         ▀███▄  ▄███▀
          ▀███▄ ▀██▀
            ████▄ ▀
             ████▀
              ▀█▀
SOVRYN███   ███
 ███   ███
  ███   ███
   ███   ███
    ███   ███
     ███   ███
      ███   ███
       ███   ███
        ███   ███
         ███   ███
          ███   ███
           ███   ███
            ███   ███
.300% APY on USDT Deposits.
████████████████████████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
Svelto

Activity: 686
Merit: 257

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 05:31:28 AM

Check white paper
Verify that the team is real
Watch milestones

The above are what I usually do. But most of all, I will understand about their business model and think whether it make sense and is it worth to invest in this project.

bettle10

Activity: 4

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 05:57:52 AM

Any other tips?
I will check if that they have product release or not, is that product help trader or global users. For with product help trader, i will invest first because its price can grow fast. For product user by global users, i will keep 6months to 2 years.
bribed

Activity: 238

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 10:15:00 PM

Yes, correct.
which overhyped ICO did you buy?

Heard you can also check the viewcount of an ICO's webpage but I'm not sure how.

Can someone teach?

One example was Bancor, another was Status (not performing that bad though), and of course EOS. With those all waiting for exchanges and then buying would have been way more profitable. The viewcount thing is interesting but I also dont know how to do it.

I am also avoiding Telegram chats with 3k+ members, its usually a bad sign, at least I think so.

Don't forget the telegram group and how they correspond with their supporters. The more proactive they are, the better. For example, cybermiles's telegram group grew from 200 members to almost 6000 members in a few weeks just based on how proactive their team is.

Vouch for this! This is also my indicator number one for the evaluation of an ICO (after whitepaper etc). If the team in there is supportive and proactive its way more likely that hte project will have success. But the size of the group does not matter at all, because there are ways for ICO's nowadays to make telegram groups bigger than they would be by organic growth. They make airdrops for people to join, they lure people with some other tricks, there are even people who offer their "service" on bitcointalk to add strangers to your group for a little BTC. I saw it happen the other way around. I was added to a telegram group (before I turned off that people can invite me) that had 3k+ members, the team was proactive and I was like yeah ok why not lets see what happens and stayed in the group. Suddenly the group was closed (most likely because there were too many people reporting it as spam) and one week later or so the group reopened again, guess what: it shrinked from the 3k+ to little under 200 members. So they bought their groupmembers or used someones "add-service". Always be suspicious, thats what I learnt.
player12

Activity: 21

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 10:15:24 PM

Any other tips?
no tips
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: