Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 03:36:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC Online Manga Reader Site  (Read 2692 times)
kiba (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 24, 2010, 12:52:37 AM

I would like to reopen the discussion on the possibility of a manga reader site that directly pay authors for their work.

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=680.0

I think we have a Yen to BTC market now, in the form of btcex.com. This should make possible for manga artists to get paid in yen or bitcoins.

Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ColdHardMetal

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 24, 2010, 02:01:36 AM

Not sure if you want to continue this conversation here or in the original thread.

I have a friend who works as a manga translator. At least he did the last time I spoke with him. He's located in Australia now but spent maybe 8 years living in Japan. He might be a potential envoy to the content producers. He might also be unable to do that at all depending on what his work situation is like in terms of non-compete agreements etc.

I also have a friend living in Tokyo who I might be able to interest in taking care of the banking aspects. At the very least he would be able to tell me how feasible setting up online access is and would set up an account for me to use.

Further, I live in South Korea and there might be potential for a similar site using Korean produced material. I really have no connections to that community at all but it's something I could look into if anyone thinks it might be viable. I can tell you right now that the banking side would be pretty trivial to maintain. They have really easy domestic cash transfer systems here so paying the artists would be the easiest bit.

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 24, 2010, 05:08:05 AM

Hmm, we really don't have any Korean won to bitcoin exchange.

nanotube

Activity: 482
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2010, 05:27:38 AM

Hmm, we really don't have any Korean won to bitcoin exchange.

except bitcoin-otc. everything is possible on -otc. Smiley

Join #bitcoin-market on freenode for real-time market updates.
Join #bitcoin-otc - an over-the-counter trading market. http://bitcoin-otc.com
OTC web of trust: http://bitcoin-otc.com/trust.php
My trust rating: http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=nanotube
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 24, 2010, 04:39:09 PM

So we got a manga translator and a banker in Japan. However, who will seek out manga artists?

Also, there would be a need for somebody to program and operate the manga reader itself.

ColdHardMetal

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 24, 2010, 05:12:56 PM

What kind of fees are we looking at collecting? How much would a reader pay to view an issue of whatever? Having some idea of the potential revenue stream we are looking at would be helpful.

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 24, 2010, 05:28:25 PM

What kind of fees are we looking at collecting? How much would a reader pay to view an issue of whatever? Having some idea of the potential revenue stream we are looking at would be helpful.

We could earn money from the bitcoin ads marketplace(as soon it become operational). We could have a 30 pages sampling, than the content is locked behind a paywall. We could also sell merchandise that use the branding of the manga in question. Readers themsleves could tip the individual authors flatter style.

Lot of business model, I guess. My preference is ads fee to cover operational cost, and using merchandise to earn the bulk of the income.

Think of it as a magazine. A magazine's true customers are advertisers, rather than the readers themselves.

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 28, 2010, 12:45:05 AM

Is anybody interested in this kind of venture?

In fact, I would like to think about broadening the scope of the project.

How about the first bi-directional online manga reader site, where exports of cultural artifact occurs bidirectional. English comics get translated into Japanese, and vice versa, as well in different languages.

That would be an interesting experiment.

genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
December 28, 2010, 05:31:30 AM

You want people to invest time or money when you don't know any Japanese artists, are unsure of the market, no alpha software/site to show, no roadmap to follow and a highly specific plan for a market in which BTC uptake is low. Are readers of manga rich?

Not attacking you, just telling you how I see it. Doesn't look like a winner.
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 28, 2010, 05:38:09 AM

You want people to invest time or money when you don't know any Japanese artists, are unsure of the market, no alpha software/site to show, no roadmap to follow and a highly specific plan for a market in which BTC uptake is low. Are readers of manga rich?

Not attacking you, just telling you how I see it. Doesn't look like a winner.

You misunderstand, I am not the one who will run the site, make a business, etc.

However, I am curious about forming the first bitcoin microcompany without any force of law behind it. I'll be happy to risk some of my bitcoin to buy some share in this company, provided somebody have the ball to risk their reputation in this effort.(As well time and stuff)

I have projects of my own anyway. I can't invest time without taking away time from my other bitcoin money-making operation. (Soulplaying.com and the still incubating bitpredict site, as well as a freelance project)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: