Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:59:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Neighbor says bitcoin is a ponzi scheme  (Read 4075 times)
SeanArce (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 01:21:28 AM

What exactly does he mean?

www.onefamous.org
https://soundcloud.com/naer-sri
15ZmN3d7WZDo4WbZwPFJMZcPMBDUkueGH7 - my  btc address

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 01:23:41 AM

He means he wants to buy your bitcoins off your cheap. Don't give in  Grin
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 01:24:05 AM

He means he calls anything he doesn't understand a ponzi scheme.

Bitcoin may be many things.  It may be horribly flawed, it may be naively optimistic, it may never gain more than a marginal niche, hell it may crash and burn spectacularly tomorrow but it certainly isn't a ponzi scheme.

Let him know the ECB (no friend to Bitcoin) said as much in their report on virtual currencies.  Actually no regulator, governmental agency, or consumer watchdog group has stated Bitcoin is a ponzi.
SeanArce (OP)

Activity: 182

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 02:05:51 AM

I still don't know what it means. I could use google, but for the sake of conversation, I'll wait for an answer here

www.onefamous.org
https://soundcloud.com/naer-sri
15ZmN3d7WZDo4WbZwPFJMZcPMBDUkueGH7 - my  btc address
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 02:09:06 AM

I still don't know what it means. I could use google, but for the sake of conversation, I'll wait for an answer here

really you googled "ponzi scheme" and nothing useful came up.  Like maybe wikipedia article explaining the concept of a ponzi scheme in the first post.

Maybe you don't know how to use google.  I rarely do this but LMGTFY

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ponzi+scheme
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 02:27:34 AM

really you googled "ponzi scheme" and nothing useful came up.  Like maybe wikipedia article explaining the concept of a ponzi scheme in the first post.

Maybe you don't know how to use google.  I rarely do this but LMGTFY

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ponzi+scheme

No, he said he doesn't want to google it because he wants someone to explain it to him.  To which, I would say search these forums for ponzi and post in one of the other 29 threads.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
rikur

Activity: 216

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 02:33:59 AM

PONZI = PERPETUAL ONLINE NON ZIMBABWEAN INCOME-GENERATOR

Knowing that you're lazy it simply means that if you send me your Bitcoins, the Bitcoin network will send you 10% of the amount back every day and you can make unlimited amount of money.

No really, google stuff and do some thinking yourself.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 02:37:16 AM

A Ponzi scheme is a fraudulent investment operation that pays returns to its investors from their own money or the money paid by subsequent investors, rather than from profit earned

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 02:37:59 AM

PONZI = PERPETUAL ONLINE NON ZIMBABWEAN INCOME-GENERATOR

Knowing that you're lazy it simply means that if you send me your Bitcoins, the Bitcoin network will send you 10% of the amount back every day and you can make unlimited amount of money.

No really, google stuff and do some thinking yourself.

go change your tampon sally, theres no need to be yelling at newbs. does it make you feel cool?

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 02:39:36 AM

Don't listen to them. They are just grumpy old men. I'll tell you what it is but first I have an investment idea for you. Since you seem new and I like helping out new people I'll give you the exclusive chance to double your money. Send me 5 Bitcoins today and I'll send you back .0001 Bitcoins a day in interest for a year and at the end of a year I'll send you 10 Bitcoins doubling your initial investment. Ok?

areebmajeed

Merit: 500

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 02:47:27 AM

Just slap him.
illpoet

Activity: 341
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 02:52:58 AM

pm pirate@40 here on the forum he will explain it for a small btc donation

Tym's Get Rich Slow scheme: plse send .00001 to
btc: 1DKRaNUnMQkeby6Dk1d8e6fRczSrTEhd8p ltc: LV4Udu7x9aLs28MoMCzsvVGKJbSmrHESnt
thank you.
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 02:55:13 AM

Bernard Madoff=Ponzi Scheme

Basically the thought is any investment where the early adopters get rich, the later adopters lose everything is the concept.

From the Bitcoin/Wiki Myth page:

In a Ponzi Scheme, the founders persuade investors that they’ll profit. Bitcoin does not make such a guarantee. There is no central entity, just individuals building an economy.

A ponzi scheme is a zero sum game. In a ponzi scheme, early adopters can only profit at the expense of late adopters, and the late adopters always lose. Bitcoin has an expected win-win outcome. Early and present adopters profit from the rise in value as Bitcoins become better understood and in turn demanded by the public at large. All adopters benefit from the usefulness of a reliable and widely-accepted decentralized peer-to-peer currency.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 03:00:16 AM

He could mean anything. But at best, he means that he believes early investors are profiting only from the investments of later investors and that there is no realistic prospect for any actual value to be produced and thus, on net, investors must necessarily lose money.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Diamondstarfall

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 03:03:10 AM

I believe there has been many many discussion on this particular topic already on this forum

Do a simple search of "ponzi scheme" on here and read it through if you have and decide for yourself.

rikur

Activity: 216

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 03:10:28 AM

go change your tampon sally, theres no need to be yelling at newbs. does it make you feel cool?

The newb in question clearly said that he didn't even google it because he is lazy. I was actually helping him by giving him an obvious BS answer so that he might do some critical thinking himself in the future. This is a must in the Bitcoin world, unfortunately.
BitBank

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 03:16:57 AM
Last edit: June 26, 2013, 03:32:16 AM by BitBank

The only correlation between bitcoin and a ponzi scheme is that one may argue that in both cases, early investors (or users) are better off than those who get involved later on. Even this analogy is based on the assumption that bitcoin will certainly be less valuable in the future than than they are today... anbd bitcoins are also a currency, not simply an investment.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 03:24:36 AM

The newb in question clearly said that he didn't even google it because he is lazy. I was actually helping him by giving him an obvious BS answer so that he might do some critical thinking himself in the future. This is a must in the Bitcoin world, unfortunately thankfully.

Herd behavior is how we wound up with the current financial system.  More critical thinking is needed at this point in time.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 03:29:21 AM

The newb in question clearly said that he didn't even google it because he is lazy. I was actually helping him by giving him an obvious BS answer so that he might do some critical thinking himself in the future. This is a must in the Bitcoin world, unfortunately thankfully.

Herd behavior is how we wound up with the current financial system.  More critical thinking is needed at this point in time.

You better hope the average dumbass can use Bitcoin or this really is a Ponzi scheme! Now apologize to the newbie and get him buying coins so mine are worth more. LOL

r3wt

Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 03:41:48 AM

The newb in question clearly said that he didn't even google it because he is lazy. I was actually helping him by giving him an obvious BS answer so that he might do some critical thinking himself in the future. This is a must in the Bitcoin world, unfortunately.
eh thats a valid point on the critical thinking but these are newbs here. its like a new car we gotta ease them in you know? the brain cant handle all this cutting edge technology.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: