Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 02:01:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple Sucks! Arrg, why don't programs work on my old mac?  (Read 1639 times)
Peter Lambert (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 01:27:02 AM

So I keep running into this problem: I go to add a program to my computer or update an existing program and I find out it is no longer supported on my computer. Everything for OSX requires 10.6 or later, so I am basically screwed. Some things I can get an older version of the software, but that doesn't work for everything.

My mac was great when I first got it, nice and slick and easy to use and stuff, but now I am just getting angry at Apple. They want me to shell out another bunch of money to buy a new computer. Well, I say screw Apple, I am not gonna shell out money like that again just to have it decreed obsolete by some fat-cats in suits who want my money after just a few short years.

I am pretty sure my next computer will be running Linux of some sort. There is no way I am going back to Windows (that's what I had before my current computer).

So I guess to make this thread more useful for everybody rather than just me ranting against obnoxious corporations, what version of linux would you suggest? I am looking for something dependable and easy to use.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
Peter Lambert (OP)

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 01:38:16 AM

Why don't you just update to Mountain Lion it is like $20? For desktop linux I would use ubuntu.

I looked into that, and from what I read it looks like only MacBooks about a year newer than mine are capable of the upgrade.

AliceWonder

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 09:30:55 AM

Yup,

I was die hard MacAholic from the 512k fat mac on forward.
Use to be Macs had much longer usability than the PC counterparts. Not anymore.

Now the only way to get that kind of life out of a hardware purchase is to run Linux.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 11:19:50 AM

Never went to Apple, never will. Unless a sudden death of my gaming career.  Cheesy

raze

Activity: 182

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 02:05:54 AM

Apple does suck. I've had my iPod touch for a while now, got it as a present for the christmas before last. Anyway, I'd been running an old version of iTunes for ages without any issues. Then I made the mistake of upgrading to the newest version. The first problem I had was the horrible user interface, then it decided that I no longer wanted my current music library, so everything disappeared, including some awesome playlists. Thinking it might've been an isolated issue, I imported all my music etc. and made some new playlists. Then I had issues syncing my iPod. Then my whole library disappeared, again. So now I'm sick of playing around with it, I'm over Apple.

BTC --16FPbgyUZdTm1voAfi26VZ3RH7apTFGaPm
LTC -- Lhd3gmj84BWqx7kQgqUA7gyoogsLeJbCXb
PPC -- PRpKGjgjNLFv8eR7VVv7jBaP8aexDFqk4C
jeannie

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 02:09:14 AM

The worse was when Apple maps was started, I lost my way using their maps!

FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 02:13:43 AM

Android devices have similar problems. Life isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.
raze

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 02:28:54 AM

Android devices have similar problems. Life isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.

Oh, but it is. Android phones are so much more open than iPhones. It's not too difficult to develop for Android, whereas you have to jump through a few of Apple's hoops to get anything on iPhone. Of course, if you're not developing anything and you want an easy to use phone that works out of the box, then you might prefer an iPhone. It's just not for me Smiley

FirstAscent

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 02:49:33 AM

Oh, but it is. Android phones are so much more open than iPhones. It's not too difficult to develop for Android, whereas you have to jump through a few of Apple's hoops to get anything on iPhone. Of course, if you're not developing anything and you want an easy to use phone that works out of the box, then you might prefer an iPhone. It's just not for me Smiley

I learned 6502 Assembly language 30 years ago. I learned C 26 years ago. I know a lot of languages. So, I guess I qualify as someone who might be sympathetic to developers. And yet I can't claim to be sympathetic to your argument.

Most everyone is only an end user of a smartphone.
raze

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 05:12:32 AM

I learned 6502 Assembly language 30 years ago. I learned C 26 years ago. I know a lot of languages. So, I guess I qualify as someone who might be sympathetic to developers. And yet I can't claim to be sympathetic to your argument.

Okay, what about when I want to install something that isn't approved by Apple? I haven't jailbroken anything before, but I imagine you'd have to go down that route, no?

With Android, you can install anything you want just by enabling it in the options.

FirstAscent

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 05:17:52 AM

Okay, what about when I want to install something that isn't approved by Apple? I haven't jailbroken anything before, but I imagine you'd have to go down that route, no?

With Android, you can install anything you want just by enabling it in the options.

Sure. On my Android I can install any old crap I might be able to find. Unfortunately, I can't even find it. I drool over some of the stuff available for iPhones, specifically quality niche professional apps.
Peter Lambert (OP)

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 12:14:56 PM

Found another one: colloquy - an IRC client.

I am trying to download an older version, let's see if it works.

EDIT: Went to the archives and went back two versions, looks like it is working now.

hany103

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 12:21:32 PM

backward compatibility sucks in Mac
Peter Lambert (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 10:54:33 PM

So, my daughter (age 7) likes to play a game called Webkinz, an online game where you take care of a virtual stuffed animal pet. Today we went to their website and found out they require the latest version of flash. So we followed the link to the flash website to find the message "Your operating system does not support the latest version of Adobe Flash Player."

So we can't upgrade flash player, so we can't play the game, so now my daughter is bawling because she had been looking forward to playing the game all day, and she says these people are so mean she should call the police on them.

ikajud

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 12:19:45 AM

what version of OSX are you running?
Peter Lambert (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 02:00:27 AM

what version of OSX are you running?

So, I fired up Ubuntu on a virtual machine and was able to get my daughter the game the game she wanted, so it turned out OK after all.

AliceWonder

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 01:19:21 PM

Sure. On my Android I can install any old crap I might be able to find. Unfortunately, I can't even find it. I drool over some of the stuff available for iPhones, specifically quality niche professional apps.

Try installing a browser on iPhone that isn't webkit...

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
whiskers75

Activity: 658
Merit: 502

Doesn't use these forums that often.

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 06:30:41 PM

Instead of buying a new shiny iMac, go for something that will last: a nice big Ubuntu-powered System76 Sable Complete.

Elastic.pw Elastic - The Decentralized Supercomputer
ELASTIC ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD | ELASTIC SLACK | ELASTIC FORUM
Axios
Donator

Activity: 131

Axios Foundation

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2013, 08:11:41 PM

Instead of buying a new shiny iMac, go for something that will last: a nice big Ubuntu-powered System76 Sable Complete.

Screw ubuntu. I have a hackintosh = runs rock solid. $20 for OS is nothing.

Peter Lambert (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 08:14:33 PM

Screw ubuntu. I have a hackintosh = runs rock solid. $20 for OS is nothing.

Which OS do you run?

I had looked into installing a second OS on my mac, but there seems to be something wrong with the disk partitioning and it would not let me create a second partition for the install.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: