Bitcoin Forum
September 06, 2024, 07:29:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: This miner for sale on my local classifieds  (Read 1695 times)
superbit (OP)

Activity: 763
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 02:43:47 AM

Below is and add posted locally where I live.  What is this miner worth?  Sorry I am a newb when it comes to hash rates, difficulty etc..  If we can get it for a good deal I am happy to invest in it with someone.

Here is the post:

After months of setup and hard work, my wife has finally pulled the plug on my little experiment. I held out for as long as I could but in the end, she insisted that I give up my creation. So here it is, a BitCoin-Miner-In-A-Box. It is a complete, ready to go system, with everything you need to mine bitcoins. All you need to do is plug it in a it starts mining. I spent months researching, ordering and perfecting the hardware and tweaking the software setup on this thing until it was working smoothly. It is currently running at around 2.0GH/s (giga-hash per second), which is a pretty impressive hashrate if you ask me. At 2 GH/s, that earns you almost 2 Bitcoins a month, which at $150 USD per Bitcoin, this miner will pay itself off in under 10 months.

My BitCoin-Miner is setup as follows:

- 3x ATI Radeon 7970 Video cards w/3GB RAM
- 2x server motherboards, CPUs and 2GB RAM each
- 1x 1050W Corsair Power Supply
- 1x 350W Dell Power Supply
- Integrated Power Bar
- Integrated Network Switch
- Various fans for heat control

All of this is setup and installed within a crate to maximize airflow and heat control. Check out the photos to see the setup.

The hardware alone cost me well over $3k to purchase, with over a month of my time spent on the rig setup and tweaking the settings for maximum stability/performance. As I said, the rig operates at around 2GH/s but with some additional tweaking and heat control, it could hit 2.4Gh/s without too much effort.

What do you need to run your own BitCoin miner?

- Stable internet connection
- Account on Slush's BTC pool (sign up here: https://mining.bitcoin.cz/)
- Bitcoin address (sign up here: https://mtgox.com/)
- Power. The miner pulls about 1000W when operational.

What about shipping?

I would really prefer to sell to someone local, as shipping this thing will be a chore. But if you are willing to cover the costs, I'm open to it.

How can you buy my BitCoin-Miner-In-A-Box?

Cash or BTC only. I am happy to demo the miner running for you in person so that you aren't taking a leap of faith on it. If you are prepared to purchase it, please come with your Slush account info and we can set it up on the spot to start mining to your account.

https://bitfinex.com/?refcode=UInJLQ5KpA <-- leveraged trading of BTCUSD, LTCUSD and LTCBTC (long and short) - 10% discount on fees for the first 30 days with the refcode
My feedback thread: Forum thread
regular

Activity: 297
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 02:48:16 AM

Nice job overestimating bitcoin value and discounting difficulty increases.
superbit (OP)

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 02:49:36 AM

Nice job overestimating bitcoin value and discounting difficulty increases.

That's what I saw right away.  So what is this thing worth, if anything?

https://bitfinex.com/?refcode=UInJLQ5KpA <-- leveraged trading of BTCUSD, LTCUSD and LTCBTC (long and short) - 10% discount on fees for the first 30 days with the refcode
adviceadam

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 03:08:33 AM

I used this mining calculator: http://btcinvest.net/bitcoin-mining-profit-calculator.php?diff=19339258.272387&dcosts=2000&diff_mincrease=10&blpbtc=25&dhsmhs=2000&btcusd_mincrease=10&btcusd=105.55&dpowcon=1000&dleadtime=0&pcost=0.25&calcweeks=48&action=calc

And that's at 10% difficulty increase/month, which is very very conservative in my opinion.  You probably shouldn't buy this. You'd be better off taking the money you were going to spend and converting them to BTC and then buying shares in a company like ASICMINER.
Diamondstarfall

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 03:25:38 AM

It is not worth it to purchase GPUs now to mine bitcoins.

My advice would be the same as adviceadam's below.

Instead of buying this miner, use the cash to buy bitcoins instead. Then either store it long term, or invest in the bitcoin market, however you must consider the risks before you venture in.
andrewsg

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 06:49:45 AM

As a BTC miner it's worthless but there is some resale value on the hardware - somewhere around $1.5k.

Buying it as a BTC miner is ridiculous - you can get the same hash rate from 6 Asicminer USB sticks at roughly $600 and save yourself another $1k on electricity over a year compared to this.

On the other hand, maybe you have a vision about the future of LTC and have cheap electricity where you live.

Bitcoin can be bad for your chi. Improve yours and mine by sending BTC to: 1N1zRYSwKQbZ8Kx1bKvTskrjGMNynVFEr1
superbit (OP)

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 04:22:30 PM

Well, I actually have free electricity as it's included in rent.  I'll put in a low ball offer.

jamesc760

Activity: 448

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 01:16:39 PM

Re-sell value of $1.5k??? Are you insane??? No one in his/her right mind would pay $1500 for it. The only thing of value in that pile of junk are the 3 gpus. Considering that the seller probably ran them hard, I'd only value each gpu at $100 at most. Thus, $300 would be my final offer. Even then, I'd rather buy 3 bitcoins directly with my $300.
melmo

Activity: 213

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 02:13:47 PM

Re-sell value of $1.5k??? Are you insane??? No one in his/her right mind would pay $1500 for it. The only thing of value in that pile of junk are the 3 gpus. Considering that the seller probably ran them hard, I'd only value each gpu at $100 at most. Thus, $300 would be my final offer. Even then, I'd rather buy 3 bitcoins directly with my $300.

No one is going to sell you a 7970 for $100.  Heck, if I could find them for $100 I'd buy em up and flip them on eBay Smiley
cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 05:36:57 PM

I used this mining calculator: http://btcinvest.net/bitcoin-mining-profit-calculator.php?diff=19339258.272387&dcosts=2000&diff_mincrease=10&blpbtc=25&dhsmhs=2000&btcusd_mincrease=10&btcusd=105.55&dpowcon=1000&dleadtime=0&pcost=0.25&calcweeks=48&action=calc

And that's at 10% difficulty increase/month, which is very very conservative in my opinion.  You probably shouldn't buy this. You'd be better off taking the money you were going to spend and converting them to BTC and then buying shares in a company like ASICMINER.

Thanks, I hadn't seen that calculator before -- I think I'll switch to that over excel.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
MRKLYE
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Designer - Developer

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 05:40:50 PM

Mining isn't good for cards. Most of them get abused via temperatures or incorrect settings.

I wouldn't touch a used GPU for anything more then 100$

▄▄███████████▄▄
▄████▀▀`````````▀▀████▄
███▀```````````````````▀███
███`````````````````````````███
██```````````██``██````````````██
██````````▄▄▄▄██▄▄██▄▄▄▄`````````██
██`````````▀██████████████▄````````██
██`````````````███`````▀████`````````██
▐█▌`````````````███`````▄███▀`````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███████████▄``````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███```````████````````▐█▌
██`````````````███`````▄▄████````````██
██`````````▄██████████████▀````````██
██````````▀▀▀▀██▀▀██▀▀▀▀`````````██
██```````````██``██````````````██
███`````````````````````````███
███▄```````````````````▄███
▀████▄▄`````````▄▄████▀
▀▀███████████▀▀
FREE
BITCOINS.com

`````````▄
````````▄█▄
``````▄█████▄
`````█████████
```▄███████████▄
``███████████████
`█████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
██▌▀███████████████
`██``▀████████████
``██▄```▀████████
```▀███▄▄`█████▀
``````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

FAUCET
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

``````````````````▄▄▄▄▄▄
``````````````````██████
``````````````````██████
``````````````````██████
``````````██████``██████
``````````██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████

██████████████████████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

XCHANGE
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

```````````▄
`````````▄██
```````▄████
`````▄██████████▄
`````▀███████████▄
```````▀████``▀████
█``````▄`▀██````▀██
██▄````██▄`▀``````█
████▄``████▄
`▀███████████▄
``▀██████████▀
```````████▀
```````██▀
```````▀

SWAP
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
jamesc760

Activity: 448

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 11:06:56 PM

No one is going to sell you a 7970 for $100.  Heck, if I could find them for $100 I'd buy em up and flip them on eBay Smiley

OP wants a mining rig to mine, he's not looking to flip it on eBay. I would NOT buy ANY used GPU's for over $100 unless the seller can guarantee with full money back.
melmo

Activity: 213

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 03:21:14 PM

OP wants a mining rig to mine, he's not looking to flip it on eBay. I would NOT buy ANY used GPU's for over $100 unless the seller can guarantee with full money back.

That's what you would pay, but have a look at the marketplace forum - folks will buy a 5850 for $100 and will pay much more for a 7970.  I bought two used 5970s and they have been mining just fine, non-stop, for 2 almost years.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: