Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 12:52:23 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to request more power from power company?  (Read 554 times)
vegascoiner (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 12:35:01 PM

If I was to start mining with 200+ Antminers and required about 2500 AMPs of power into my warehouse, is this something that a typical power company would be willing to provide?

I am in Las Vegas so would be dealing with NVEnergy. I don't have a lease or anything currently but am considering this venture and just figuring out if the logistics make sense.

The most I've seen here so far are 800 AMPS going into a warehouse.

Also how expensive would it be to get 2500 AMP's configured providing the power company would bring it in? Would it be cheaper to just rent multiple commercial units?
NvPahrump

Activity: 9

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 01:28:54 AM

That's an interesting upgrade. I would have thought Las Vegas is too hot in the summer for a mining operation.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 2603

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 01:44:47 AM

Providing the local substation and distribution lines can handle it the utility will supply ANY amount of power you want to a single location. Once certainty is that it will require a new service transformer.

1st place to start is contact the utility re: your power needs. They will want a shitton of info regarding nature of the load before even talking about what you will pay for them to upgrade service to the building.

After that, hire a commercial/industrial electrical firm to do the designs and permitting. A Licensed PE Stamp of approval is literally required on all changes to heavy power feeds.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 3NtFuzyWREGoDHWeMczeJzxFZpiLAFJXYr
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Jedie22

Activity: 434
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 04:58:26 AM

If I was to start mining with 200+ Antminers and required about 2500 AMPs of power into my warehouse, is this something that a typical power company would be willing to provide?

I am in Las Vegas so would be dealing with NVEnergy. I don't have a lease or anything currently but am considering this venture and just figuring out if the logistics make sense.

The most I've seen here so far are 800 AMPS going into a warehouse.

Also how expensive would it be to get 2500 AMP's configured providing the power company would bring it in? Would it be cheaper to just rent multiple commercial units?

Having a huge amount of power should provide a source directly to a transmission lines that fits on your amount of power you needed. Consultation to the electricians and electrical engineers should have to compute the certain wiring installation on the mining operation. Also, it should have a certain permits from your states or local government requesting a power from the electric company that you need that power needed for you mining.
big al

Activity: 140

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 05:55:08 AM

They likely will want to provide you with 3 phase power.   Tell them you should be able to balance the load across the 3 phases and have a high power factor (likely .95-.99). Ask about cheaper rates if you buy your own transformer.

I suggest doing some reading on the above.  If you don't have a site yet do some research on what voltages are available where. 
big al

Activity: 140

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 06:03:46 AM

What voltage are we talking at these amps?  1 phase or 3 phase?
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 12:44:59 AM

A lot of it depends on how the warehouse is already setup.

If the warehouse was ever used for industrial equipment I would think they already have 3 phase 480v coming into the building. You would hopefully just need a 500kva 480 to 208 transformer for what you want to do.

What you want to do is hire an electrical contractor to look over what you have available. They will be able to give you a clearer idea of what is involved. You arent asking for much power, so it shouldnt be too hard to get.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 08:25:13 PM

That's an interesting upgrade. I would have thought Las Vegas is too hot in the summer for a mining operation.

It's also dry, so inexpensive evaporative cooling would work during the hot parts of the days.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
vegascoiner (OP)

Activity: 10

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 07:54:36 AM

Thank you I will give some of these suggestions a try.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: