Bitcoin Forum
July 07, 2024, 02:43:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it safe to download any QT Wallet from GitHub?  (Read 384 times)
BTCkur.com (OP)

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2017, 03:37:34 PM

Does GitHub or anyone checks those QT wallets before they`re being published?

Bitcoin Gold and so many other suspicious coins use QT wallet and now is the time to ask ourselves that if all QT wallets you download from GitHub are safe? Is it possible to hide some malicious code within those wallets you download from GitHub and damage your computer or other wallets somehow?

Can someone please give me some details about the security measures of GitHub?
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 04:11:30 PM

Bitcoin Gold and so many other suspicious coins use QT wallet and now is the time to ask ourselves that if all QT wallets you download from GitHub are safe? Is it possible to hide some malicious code within those wallets you download from GitHub and damage your computer or other wallets somehow?

Sure, it is possible that any compiled program is compromised and could be hosted on GitHub.

They way you trust a compiled software, is if it is cryptograpically signed by several trusteable people with PGP, or at least have some SHA256 checksum that you could use to verify, that hasn't been questioned by any of the developers.

You can always compile the program yourself, and if you can't be arsed to do that, get a secondary computer to install all these Bitcoin Gold Cash XT whatever wallets.
BTCkur.com (OP)

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2017, 11:24:53 PM

Sure, it is possible that any compiled program is compromised and could be hosted on GitHub.

They way you trust a compiled software, is if it is cryptograpically signed by several trusteable people with PGP, or at least have some SHA256 checksum that you could use to verify, that hasn't been questioned by any of the developers.

You can always compile the program yourself, and if you can't be arsed to do that, get a secondary computer to install all these Bitcoin Gold Cash XT whatever wallets.

Yeah I think It`s the best idea to install all shitcoin stuff in a separate computer.

Thanks for the info
vv181
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1273

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 12:27:02 PM

Github Did not check the publisher source code, but you can, it is the goal of open source project to make user can read the source and trust the program.

I haven't heard a malicious code inside QT wallet in the GitHub, but there is a possibility the solution is to read the source code or ask someone to check for it. The malicious code sometimes could be in the QT wallet source or could be in the 'Makefile'. references: https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/53999/is-compiling-source-code-from-github-a-big-security-risk

The safest way is to find a repository that has plenty of contributors.
hacker1001101001

Activity: 1288
Merit: 415

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 01:18:11 PM
Last edit: November 22, 2017, 05:29:30 AM by hacker1001101001

I don't think there is any problem in downloading QT wallet from GitHub as Github is a good development site and i don't think it will damage your wallet or coin or your PC. This wallets are good to hold coin and you can freely use them without any further problem.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: