Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 09:21:38 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: how can bitcoin survive with 26 USD transaction cost?  (Read 1418 times)
TheUltraElite
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1263

So anyway, I applied as a merit source :)

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2017, 08:19:11 AM

I was worried about this problem a long time ago. To me it seems that every blockchain which is not centralized in some way is headed down this path. Yet the absolute euphoria about Bitcoin's future and disruptiveness continues. What gives?

Mate you need to understand that you use wallets which allow custom fees like electrum and then leave the transactions going on. They will take time to confirm but that does not mean that they will forever be static in the blockchain. If you have a bunch of transactions going on everyday then its another question - use bulk transactions (send to many feature) for that.

This has nothing to do with blockchains being centralized or not. I dont know where you got that idea from. Care to share the source with us?

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
BlockchainGod

Activity: 322
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 08:29:03 AM

In fact, you pay a lot of money for the transaction speed. Recently I sent bitcoins for$ 3 Commission.

UAE Seasider

Activity: 700
Merit: 110

Helios Protocol https://discord.gg/cpzAEMB

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 08:50:02 AM

Great question and on small transactions it no longer makes sense to use Bitcoin but if it hits $10,000 and you want to transfer 1 BTC then essentially the fee will be 0.26% which is still pretty low comapred with alot of other service Smiley

HELIOS PROTOCOL ★ ✅[DAG]✅[BLOCKCHAIN]✅[PoS]✅[Masternodes] ✈✈✈[weekly Airdrop][join our discord to qualify]✈✈✈
 ▬▬  Mainnet Launched  |  Parallel Blockchain  ▬▬ 
 ▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ Website  |  Github  |  Bitcointalk  |  Bounties  |Discord  |  telegram▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐
meanwords

Activity: 1624
Merit: 163

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 09:13:20 AM

i have recently done 2 bitcoin transactions and i had to pay in total 52 usd in transaction costs,

how can bitcoin be used if it is more and more undividable, because smaller transactions arent worth it anymore?

introducing new forks and splits like bitcoin cash bitcoin gold decreases the trust and people start consider it a manipulated centralised pyramid system.

if someone buys himself a hamburger with bitcoin, he has to pay more than 14 other hamburgers for miners...

bitcoin becomes a currency for large transactions only (rich people), you could worthily transact the payment of a yacht or a building with bitcoin but not smaller things..

regards

I see your point in this one. I've been using an internet wallet for storing my Bitcoins and whenever I want to make a transaction, they always recommend the lowest transaction fee which is around 5-10 USD Dollars now. Not worth it when you just wan't to buy something cheap right?. Transacton fee is one of the problems of Bitcoin. If the developers didn't solve this, a lot of people would switch to altcoins that has low fee and faster than Bitcoin.
Golftech

Activity: 2128
Merit: 520

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 09:15:47 AM

Great question and on small transactions it no longer makes sense to use Bitcoin but if it hits $10,000 and you want to transfer 1 BTC then essentially the fee will be 0.26% which is still pretty low comapred with alot of other service Smiley
that's the point if you will use bitcoin in a larger venue then the transaction fee won't be feel that much, but if you use it with just a dust transaction
then the fee would really hurt us, it should be not outlook that bitcoin can possibly goes to the value that we all intend too.
Carlsen

Activity: 910
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 09:19:52 AM

The way I read this the transaction fees in your account settings are... lets say not in your favour. But I suppose you can change that manually.
26$ for a transactions is really too much, even with the current price we have and the number of miners migrationg to BCH.
Just look at how high the fees should be at sites that monitor the transactions and give propositions to the needed miner fees, and you will have a much cheaper transaction next time.
A few dollars, that should usually do the trick.

It's me!!!
CoinEraser
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1767

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 12:59:44 PM

The transaction fees are really to high at the moment. It costs a lot of money to transfer some bucks. Really painful. Hope for a better time with lowes fees.  Cool
aeternus

Activity: 686
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 07:26:43 PM

It is very disappointing to see such huge transaction fees now a days. It will become very difficult for the bitcoin users to stay with Btc if such high transaction fees remain to continue. Hard forks like BCH are providing much better services with quick transaction confirmation at very low fees as compared to BTC so obviously users will definately going to shifting on BCH if things remain unimproved.
Not many people are going to make the shift, to begin with where you can pay with bitcoin cash, and second why we are going to switch to a coin that is obviously being manipulated in order to keep the price that high, the illusion cannot be kept forever and when that happens many people are going to lose  a lot of money.
HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2017, 07:37:02 PM

i have recently done 2 bitcoin transactions and i had to pay in total 52 usd in transaction costs,

how can bitcoin be used if it is more and more undividable, because smaller transactions arent worth it anymore?

introducing new forks and splits like bitcoin cash bitcoin gold decreases the trust and people start consider it a manipulated centralised pyramid system.

if someone buys himself a hamburger with bitcoin, he has to pay more than 14 other hamburgers for miners...

bitcoin becomes a currency for large transactions only (rich people), you could worthily transact the payment of a yacht or a building with bitcoin but not smaller things..

regards

Share a picture or a link or it didnt happen.

I've made several transactions recently and all have had miniscule fees. Maybe a few dollars oer transactioon.

A 26$ transaction fee sounds like user error.
aoluain
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1282

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 07:43:05 PM

regards
That is without a doubt a big issue but is not as big as you make it out to be, bitcoin is not being used as much as a currency as it is used as an investment, so the problem with the fees is not as bad but when we get adoption by most people around the world then that will be an issue but I think that by that time bitcoin will be mature enough and will be able to process that huge load of transactions.

I agree, bitcoin has dominance in the amount of investment it has
abd there will be more and more players goi g to bitcoin.

I agree with aeternus' last post about bitcoin not being used as
a currency as much as it should. It is being used as a store of
wealth and as an investment.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
GreenBits
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 10:06:36 PM

regards

this is a result of the speculation on bitcoin, rather than actual adoption of bitcoin. using bitcoin is one thing. buying bitcoin to flip isnt adoption at all; there is no value introduced to the system through that person's participation (one could argue for liquidity). because we arent using this thing the way it was intended, the fees are out of sync with the value. adoption, to be proportionate with this price needs a much larger network of miners, so the competition drives the fees down.

too big for our britches, literally Smiley
KingScorpio (OP)

Activity: 1470
Merit: 325

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2017, 02:58:10 PM

steam stopped bitcoin as payment

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/6/16743220/valve-steam-bitcoin-game-store-payment-method-crypto-volatility

steam stopped bitcoin as payment method due to high transaction costs

_Mikasa_

Activity: 234
Merit: 15

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 03:58:18 PM

I think its much better to convert it into your own country currency and do the transactions you needed using the fiat system. Even steam stopped using bitcoin as way of payment because the transaction cost is ranging 20 USD or more.
IBGigglin
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1006

BCH Advocate.

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 04:39:34 PM

Hopefully this really pushes the Bitcoin core team to finally come to terms with a solution to scale. Sad to see sites like Steem and ALSO Steam no longer accepting Bitcoin because of the high transaction costs right now.

We need to see some real change in 2018!

Im baaaack! Looking for sig campaign. DM me if interested.
Vik87

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 04:04:16 AM

What wallet are you using for sending transactions? Maybe it does have something to do with and I'm thinking about xapo, I'm currently using blockchain.info and you know what the lowest sats per byte that I paid is only 15 sats. They are working on it and seems that many miners are now back to mine bitcoin. When I have a $20 fee for a transaction what I did is I cancelled it and just wait for the dust to be settled, that time is during the war against bitcoin cash. I let it calmed so now I have less than $1 to pay for each of my transaction.
trk

Activity: 228
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 05:13:19 AM

it is no longer a currency at this point, to expensive to be used as one. Bitcoin is the new gold, a speculative asset to be exact.
As the price keeps on increasing, so does the fee. More people are storing their bitcoin in exchange account rather than their won wallet to avoid this kind of fee. But if you have plenty of it, paying $25 to make sure your bitcoin secure is still necessary I suppose

Donn_Vader

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 08:59:19 AM

For now bitcoin become store of value not as currency anymore because the transaction fee is ridiculous. For transaction i suggest to use altcoin like eth or ltc
Dapper

Activity: 560
Merit: 260

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 09:04:50 AM

What it means is that the #2, 3, and 4 coins will become more and more transactional until they become investment grade.    The market is a wonderful thing.

sent from my X6
jinnyjinny

Activity: 280
Merit: 16

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 09:13:25 AM

I see bitcoin as a savings and investment tool, not  as a means of payment. Im holding my BTC on the wallet and don't care how high are fees now. Just look at the price ! You are already in the win with this price. Just don't make small transactions ,that could load the network and rise fees more.

DARKANGEL6415

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

ADAMANT — the most secure and anonymous messenger

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2017, 09:22:30 AM

Ok so yes we can all agree for the most part on the fact that current transaction fees are something that would make the bank fee system we once made fun of lick their lips like hungry cats. Now if you are a large whale that is buying lets say a house and are spending 20 bitcoins at once. Well then you wont care about a lousy 0.002 transaction fee. On ther other hand if you buying gasoline for you tiny car then spending 0.002 bitcoin makez no sense. That is why i like debit cards that converts bitcoin to cash asap and cheap. We really do need a upgrade to address  backlog and fees.

● ● ● ● ● ● ●   ADAMANT Messenger ● ● ● ● ● ● ●  
Try it now: Secure and Anonymous Messenger ║║ Whitepaper
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: