Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 02:48:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Coinbase be the biggest bank in 2020?  (Read 889 times)
Qunenin

Activity: 966
Merit: 506

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 01:57:11 PM

not the biggest "bank" but the biggest "bitcoin bank", which they already are. by definition you are giving up control over your money when you open an account with Coinbase and keep your bitcoins there and you get an account and some virtual numbers in return which Coinbase promises to guarantee their value.
the only difference is that they don't give profit on the money you give them (like your bank account does) and also they don't offer things like loans (which banks do). in any other sense they ARE a bank.
and being first and big, gives them that edge too. if they wanted they could become a huge company worth billions of dollars. of course being in US has its restrictions too...

I think it is already the biggest online wallet for bitcoins. Xapo is the second best but it is not as widely used as coinbase. Also previously coinbase transactions were free and there were no tx fee as coinbase paid the fee themselves. Later on when the bitcoin tx fee increased, they are still charging nominal fee from their clients.

.1xBit.com.
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
!
arpon11

Activity: 882
Merit: 282

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 03:05:20 PM

Given that all the major banks are so behind in the crypto-revolution do you think Coinbase will be the biggest bank in 2020?

https://hackernoon.com/will-coinbase-be-the-biggest-bank-in-the-world-5d147c9e6caa
I think this speculation may come through as many has said that coinbase is the largest coins bank in USA and some developed countries. I have been thinking that in 2025 most of the current bank will no longer be there as the blockchain technology will kick them out of business and some of them may revert to crypto currencies and build their bank business around it.
light22man

Activity: 311
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2017, 03:12:27 PM

It's can be true, considering how Coinbase grow since last year. It's already biggest cryptocurrency exchange,  and as bitcoin rise more and more users come to Coinbase. If bitcoin continue his rally, maybe we will see as Coinbase become biggest cryptocurrency bank by the end of 2019.

MINTER - WE MINT COINS AND CREATE THE INTERNET OF MONEY
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Telegram  |  Bip Wallet  |  Twitter
Kingofbitcoin12345

Activity: 462
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 03:22:09 PM

Given that all the major banks are so behind in the crypto-revolution do you think Coinbase will be the biggest bank in 2020?

https://hackernoon.com/will-coinbase-be-the-biggest-bank-in-the-world-5d147c9e6caa

Even do I agree that now they are the biggest exchange platform of all and much well-known,, it won’t be the case for the coming years.. I don’t even know why they’re not being condemned about the past fork(that has been cancelled)that they’ve support Segwit2x and even thinking to replace bitcoin core.. I’m hoping they’ve learned the hard way but in time they will try it again and again.. A Coinbase Banks sounds alarming and it will massively increases the move of centralisation..

____________yahoo62278 CAMPAIGN MANAGER________  ◥◥  The Best & Most Popular Manager  ◤◤  ____________
ICO Manager          Bounty Manager          Signature Campaign Manager          Twitter Campaign Manager
█████████████████████████   ADD "yahoo62278" on Telegram & Skype   █████████████████████████
aardvark15

Activity: 1008
Merit: 510

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 04:29:10 PM

Coinbase could be that big in 2020, but remember that cryptocurrencies don’t need banks to hold our money. Even though more people are jumping into this cryptocurrency market, that doesn’t mean they are holding their coins on an exchange. Lots of people may be keeping most of their coins in offline wallets.

It’s true that we need exchanges/banks like Coinbase to buy and cash out our Bitcoins, but that’s all I use them for. As soon as I buy, I move the coins off Coinbase and into a paper wallet where it will sit for years.
ajochems

Activity: 1305
Merit: 511

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 07:01:31 PM

not the biggest "bank" but the biggest "bitcoin bank", which they already are. by definition you are giving up control over your money when you open an account with Coinbase and keep your bitcoins there and you get an account and some virtual numbers in return which Coinbase promises to guarantee their value.
the only difference is that they don't give profit on the money you give them (like your bank account does) and also they don't offer things like loans (which banks do). in any other sense they ARE a bank.
and being first and big, gives them that edge too. if they wanted they could become a huge company worth billions of dollars. of course being in US has its restrictions too...

I think it is already the biggest online wallet for bitcoins. Xapo is the second best but it is not as widely used as coinbase. Also previously coinbase transactions were free and there were no tx fee as coinbase paid the fee themselves. Later on when the bitcoin tx fee increased, they are still charging nominal fee from their clients.

Ya it's true. Previously this service for transcation of bitcoin is free,now they charging, the transaction from coinbase to trading sites also make you some charges. If this continues, many will change the new bitcoin wallet address. We are facing some errors in this coin base. But it's safest as compared to other bitcoin wallet.

████▄██████████▄
███▄████████████
▄███▀
████
████
████
▀███▄
███▀████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██████████▄
████████████
███████████▀███▄
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
▀███▄███████████
████████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██▄█████████▄██▄
▀████▄█████▄████▀
▀████▄▄████▀
███████████
▄███▀█████▀███▄
█████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
▀███████████████▀

▄███████████████▄
█████████████████
████▀███▀██████▀
███████▄█████▀
████▄▄██████████▄
▀▀██████▀███████
▄██████▄███▄████
█████▀██████████
▀██▀███▀████████▀

████▄███████████
████████████████
▄███▀███████████
███████████████
██████████████
████████████████
███████████▄███▀
████████████
▀██████████▀
████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████
|
Listed
on
BINANCE
KUCOIN
Gate.io
|
coynedterm

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 06:18:44 AM

I don't think it will happen because a big thing that I know , may be few people will know about it if they got scammed indirectly by the coinbase .
If anyone here will be old user of the bitcoin who used ever btcjam then surely he knows that if you have coinbase account and have btcjam account with the same email id then if anyone will take loan from your account of btcjam then without need of any permission from the coin ASE account the btc will transfer into the loan taker perosn address , what is this ? , Only a type of scam Because I don't know how someone hacked my account , or it was the team of the btcjam who hacked my account and made withdrawal of the btc through the loan taking and approve from my own account that was backed by them/hacker and steal my 0.26btc , And when I asked them about this and aksed about the details of that person who take the bitcoin by mine account then they refused me to give any detail and help at all .
So here we can understand well that how the coinbase was in contact with the btcjam like stupid and fraud service , so we can understand that coinbase can make such things in future also .
Note: here I am not saying that coinbase is scam/bad service/anything wrong , but probably that should be responsiblities of the coinbase to merge Thier service with good and reputable thing , so here i will no more support coinbase , but no doubt that coinbase have really a better service to make buy and sell of the bitcoin in worldwide

▄▄█████▄▄
         ▄▄███████████▄▄
      ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
   ▄▄███████████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▀██▀       ▀▀████████
███████  ▄████  ███████▄  ███████
███████ █████  ██████████ ███████
███████ ██████████  █████ ███████
███████  ▀███████  ███▀   ███████
████████▄▄        ██   ▄▄████████
 ▀█████████████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████████████▀▀
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
         ▀▀███████████▀▀
            ▀▀█████▀▀

.THRIVING CRYPTOCURRENCY..
.MARKET WITH CRYPTOBONDS..

▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄  ▄▄▄▄
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

INITIAL COIN OFFERING
SEPTEMBER 30

██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
██████
         ▄▄████████▄▄
     ▄████████████████▄
   ▄███▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀███████▄
  █████ ███████ █▄▀███████
 ██████ ███████ ███▄▀██████
▐██████ ███████▄▄▄▄▄▄ █████▌
▐██████ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ █████▌
▐██████ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ █████▌
 ██████ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ █████
  █████ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ ████
   ▀███▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄██▀
     ▀████████████████▀
        ▀▀████████▀▀

...READ THE....
.WHITEPAPER.

▄▄████████▄▄
     ▄████████████████▄
   ▄████████████████████▄
  ███████████████▀▀  █████
 ████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
 ████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
  ████████████████▄▄██████
   ▀████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
        ▀▀████████▀▀
TWITTER
FACEBOOK
MEDIUM
REDDIT
GITHUB
SLACK
YouAintFunny

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 06:20:30 AM

probably not, sincerly I think that sooner or later coinbase will be shutted down by the US goverment.
Actually I don't know how it it didn't happen yet.
Bitcotalk

Activity: 966
Merit: 517

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 05:33:22 AM

She was one of the pioneers in the field but today we have many options of banks that are similar to or better than her in several aspects, public service, agility in negotiations and ease, cards that are more accessible and usable in other countries and also in the question rates. An example of this and the Xapo an excellent portfolio and that has grown every day more. Xapo already has a great differential that is to have Debit Card, we can use our Bitcoin balance to make purchases in any place that accepts VISA.

However CoinBase since its creation she proved to be very robust and safe, in the middle period several others fell for several reasons. I believe she has a very great potential to take the top spot.
Silberman
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1343

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 06:00:12 PM

Coinbase is already the largest commercial entity in the crypto market, which isn't exactly something I consider to be a good thing. If we look at their market dominance, it's safe to say that the market they operate in is pretty centralized, which makes Coinbase a very influential entity, and looking at how things go, they will only grow larger throughout the years. Everyone arounds me chooses to go with Coinbase because it's a wallet service, and an exchange at the same time -- for them it's an ultimate form of convenience. For that reason I welcome all other competitors to up their game to push Coinbase back a bit....
This is why not many people are going to use bitcoin as it was the original intention of satoshi, the idea is to be our own bank and yet many people choose to use online wallets or wallets from exchanges to store their wealth, so coinbase and similar services are banks by default and it is incredible people do not see this contradiction in their behavior.
nidacoinlove

Activity: 588
Merit: 254

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 06:53:59 PM

Coinbase is already the largest commercial entity in the crypto market, which isn't exactly something I consider to be a good thing. If we look at their market dominance, it's safe to say that the market they operate in is pretty centralized, which makes Coinbase a very influential entity, and looking at how things go, they will only grow larger throughout the years. Everyone arounds me chooses to go with Coinbase because it's a wallet service, and an exchange at the same time -- for them it's an ultimate form of convenience. For that reason I welcome all other competitors to up their game to push Coinbase back a bit....
This is why not many people are going to use bitcoin as it was the original intention of satoshi, the idea is to be our own bank and yet many people choose to use online wallets or wallets from exchanges to store their wealth, so coinbase and similar services are banks by default and it is incredible people do not see this contradiction in their behavior.
Yeah exactly, coinbase along with all other exchanges are the banks of bitcoin. Though coinbase is not originally an exchange with a vast cryptocurrency accounts but in case of bitcoin you sell and purchase through coinbase makes it exchange and ultimately a bitcoin bank.
No one here is still his own bank, the only difference coinbase makes from traditional banks is that it deals with a decentralized currency unlike the traditional system.
audaciousbeing

Activity: 1330
Merit: 569

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 07:01:19 PM

I don't see this happening not because I am limiting the amount of growth Coinbase could witness, but because of several factors which include:

1. Coinbase with its base in the US will have to compete with other big banks that have been in existence for centuries, they hold major positions in government, they donate to political parties, they have the capacity to lobby laws. The moment their positions is being threatened, then you see the big hand of the law coming.

2. I dont see myself using Coinbase not now, not in the future and a lot of other crypto users not in the United States because of the stiff KYC policies that they have in place.

3. The issue of banks originally negates one of the founding principles of bitcoin. Keep your fund yourself is the rule and who says Coinbase who will continue to a target for hackers. Hopefully it will remain stronger.
jimbo2000

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 07:06:50 PM

Firstly I don't really consider coin base to be a bank in the traditional sense and secondly no, some of the biggest banking operations are absolutely huge. About 1/3rd of all bitcoins market cap would have to considered in coin bases worth and that's just not realistic.

██████████████████████ ▀▄ Platio ▄▀ ██████████████████████
[TELEGRAM]│Smart Banking Ecosystem for crypto, fiat and│[FACEBOOK]
[TWITTER] │stocks, based on EOS blockchain technology │ [MEDIUM]
Drnice

Activity: 588
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 07:57:56 PM

First point is of coinbase will still be in functioning condition by that time, then if bitcoin becomes generally accepted by all countries, and coinbase starts supporting other countries. Then, coinbase might be able to be looked at.
BureauChef

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 08:07:09 PM

First point is of coinbase will still be in functioning condition by that time, then if bitcoin becomes generally accepted by all countries, and coinbase starts supporting other countries. Then, coinbase might be able to be looked at.

They're not a bank first, and they can never get banking license. USA government wanted coinbase to deliver all the user's ID and detailed personal information. This is a significant action for coinbase. They will go under USA government.
Wipro

Activity: 924
Merit: 512

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 08:30:41 PM

They're not a bank first, and they can never get banking license. USA government wanted coinbase to deliver all the user's ID and detailed personal information. This is a significant action for coinbase. They will go under USA government.

They have already implemented that bro. Last when tried to make the 500 USD transaction to the different person, its asked me to go with the any of personal identity to verify for proceeding the transaction. I have done that and then only the transaction moved further.
US government tried in 2015 to tied with the blockchain.info but they refused that was the news that time but Coinbase may take us to legal issues with having the bitcoins. Will that be happen!
Silberman
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1343

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 08:12:47 PM

Coinbase could be that big in 2020, but remember that cryptocurrencies don’t need banks to hold our money. Even though more people are jumping into this cryptocurrency market, that doesn’t mean they are holding their coins on an exchange. Lots of people may be keeping most of their coins in offline wallets.

It’s true that we need exchanges/banks like Coinbase to buy and cash out our Bitcoins, but that’s all I use them for. As soon as I buy, I move the coins off Coinbase and into a paper wallet where it will sit for years.
Most people in the forum are interested in trading and take active part on that which means that an important part of their bitcoin holdings needs to be in an exchange, this is worrying since exchanges can be seized or hacked and then you lose your coins with no hope of getting them back, and when we take into account that most traders are going to be losers in the long run then putting your money in an exchange makes even less sense.
goldade

Activity: 896
Merit: 104

The Standard Protocol - Solving Inflation

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 08:47:52 PM

Coinbase may be the biggest cryptocurrency bank by 2020 only if bitcoin remains relevant by then and bitcoin can only remain relevant if more transactions are executed using bitcoin. The only way for bitcoin to remain relevant is by having more people venturing to the bitcoin world.

Ayush rana

Activity: 476
Merit: 103

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 07:05:42 PM

There are many wallets for crypto currencies which act like a bank to them but coinbase is a different thing. If coinbase and bitcoin both will able to survive till 2020 then yes coinbase will become the largest crypto currency bank in the world.

Fatunad

Activity: 2254
Merit: 354

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 08:39:59 PM

There are many wallets for crypto currencies which act like a bank to them but coinbase is a different thing. If coinbase and bitcoin both will able to survive till 2020 then yes coinbase will become the largest crypto currency bank in the world.
There no need to bumped this thread since its already 3 months from the day on where the last person posted. For the sake of the topic, if we do talk about biggest bank inline with traditional banks then its an impossible thing but talking on a bank which do focus only on on crypto field then its possible and no one knows if this would able to attain such position.We do know that coinbase is under US regulations.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: