Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:07:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Safest Wallet for Bitcoin Cash (BCH)  (Read 253 times)
curt0 (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 06:01:50 PM
Last edit: November 20, 2017, 08:53:14 PM by curt0

Which offline wallet is the safest for Bitcoin Cash?

Which wallet's source code has been audited?

I'm not a fan of hardware wallets because there is no assurance that a rogue employee cannot put in malware into the firmware.

I was using Electrum to store my BTC because its open source code was available for review for several years. Now I have BCH as well because of the fork. It's suggested that I move the BCH into Electron Cash. However, the instructions to run the source code for Mac is too complicated. Are there any step-by-step instructions on how to do this? Has Electron Cash's source code been reviewed and audited?

Are there any offline wallets that are safer than Electron Cash, where the source code has been reviewed or audited and where there are step-by-step instructions to compile and run the source, or there are step-by-step instructions to confirm that the binary is from the source code shown?

I’m trying to use Electron Cash’s source code on a Mac, but I cannot follow the instructions in the README.rst or RELEASE-NOTES files.

I’ve downloaded "Electron-Cash-2.9.4.tar.gz”.  What do I do next?  Do I simply run the following commands in the Mac terminal and then run the dmg file to install the binary?

Code:
    python setup-release.py py2app

hdiutil create -fs HFS+ -volname "Electron-Cash" -srcfolder dist/Electron-Cash.app dist/electron-cash-VERSION-macosx.dmg

I eventually want to create an offline wallet like I did with Electrum.  Can I do the same with Electron?
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 07:47:37 PM

Electron cash has a signature you can use to validate the binary versions of the file, you could try running them instead.

Also, the only other Linux wallet I know to support bitcoin cash is bitcoin ABC which is essentially the bitcoin core version for bch so you can still prune it and all. Try bitcoincash.org for alternatives though.
littlejoo

Activity: 24

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 07:52:09 PM

Nice treath for new inventors thank you
HashFace

Activity: 406
Merit: 114

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 07:52:17 PM

Bitcoin Cash is on Exodus, but it's not entirely open source.  Still, never had a problem with it or heard of anyone having a problem with it.
Zer0Sum
Legendary

Activity: 1588
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 08:14:47 PM
Last edit: November 20, 2017, 08:25:21 PM by Zer0Sum

I'm not a fan of hardware wallets because there is no assurance that a rogue employee cannot put in malware into the firmware.

Hardware wallets make me nervous...
The Ledger Reddit forum is full of issues, servers have been spotty for a month, too complicated, man...

Nano > firmware > PC > Chrome > Ledger Manager > Bitcoin/Shitcoin Wallet > Ledger Server > Nano

What could possibly go wrong? Have 2 Nano S but they make me really nervous.

Running a full BCH node on a separate machine you do not use for anything else...
Is probably safe enough... at least you have control and can even go air-gapped for ultra-security.

For Bitcoin Cash online I would go with Electron Cash...
It's dead simple and their servers have been very reliable the last month.

Most importantly DON'T  BE  A  FUCKING  EXHIBITIONIST.
Probablylikely

Activity: 560
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 08:37:04 PM

You might wanna check out these few listed below.
BitGo was the first one to introduce Bitcoin Cash wallet and remains by far the most popular service. Ever since such well-known companies like Coinbase refused to support Bitcoin Cash, BitGo benefited from enormous demand by integrating a user-friendly BCH interface.

Trezor is best known for its highly secure hardware. It also provides its users with the most advanced standards in cryptography and Bitcoin. It has an easy interface which has a quick set-up.

BTC.com launched Bitcoin Cash wallet platform on August 4, 2017. It developed a simple-to-use interface, and the platform itself is highly secure. For the users who created their Bitcoin wallets before the hard fork on the 1st of August, BTC.com has added Bitcoin Cash wallets automatically. The BCG wallet can be accessed within your same Bitcoin wallet.

Cheers!
curt0 (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 08:51:35 PM

The Ledger Reddit forum is full of issues, servers have been spotty for a month, too complicated, man...

Nano > firmware > PC > Chrome > Ledger Manager > Bitcoin/Shitcoin Wallet > Ledger Server > Nano

Running a full BCH node on a separate machine you do not use for anything else...
Is probably safe enough... at least you have control and can even go air-gapped for ultra-security.

Most importantly DON'T  BE  A  FUCKING  EXHIBITIONIST.

How does one be an exhibitionist?  I added the following to the OP.  Do you know the answers to these questions?  

I’m trying to use Electron Cash’s source code on a Mac, but I cannot follow the instructions in the README.rst or RELEASE-NOTES files.

I’ve downloaded "Electron-Cash-2.9.4.tar.gz”.  What do I do next?  Do I simply run the following commands in the Mac terminal and then run the dmg file to install the binary?

Code:

hdiutil create -fs HFS+ -volname "Electron-Cash" -srcfolder dist/Electron-Cash.app dist/electron-cash-VERSION-macosx.dmg

I eventually want to create an offline wallet like I did with Electrum.  Can I do the same with Electron?
abvhiael

Activity: 722
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 08:58:17 PM

i personally use a online wallet which is myetherwallet and i have heard about ofline wallets such as ledger nano is that what you are talking about.
crairezx20
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1046

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 09:27:04 PM

Most importantly DON'T  BE  A  FUCKING  EXHIBITIONIST.

How does one be an exhibitionist?  I added the following to the OP.  Do you know the answers to these questions?  

Code:

I think you can do the same as like electrum since electron cash is made by developers of electrum .

I searched that there are other people too are  having  error when installing electron cash in their mac i just found it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTylS6em-G0
I searched this one and maybe it can also help you out to install electron cash in your mac here check it. https://github.com/electron/electron/blob/master/docs/tutorial/mac-app-store-submission-guide.md
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 01:43:19 PM

dmg file is an executable. you dont need to run from source using that.

nerverd99

Activity: 210

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 02:07:00 PM

For me,Bitgo is the best one.Bitgo providing secure wallet solutions to corporations and businesses including several cryptocurrency exchanges.
Unfortunately Bitgo is not an open source solution,but there is an option to add even more security to the web wallet in the form of two-factor authentication
priyankg3

Activity: 224
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 03:29:22 PM

Trezor is best known for its highly secure hardware. It also provides its users with the most advanced standards in cryptography and Bitcoin. It has an easy interface which has a quick set-up.
cryptonianz

Activity: 196

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 03:30:52 PM

Hardware or Paper Wallet - that's your best chance!

curt0 (OP)

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 03:48:26 PM

I think you can do the same as like electrum since electron cash is made by developers of electrum .

I searched that there are other people too are  having  error when installing electron cash in their mac i just found it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTylS6em-G0
I searched this one and maybe it can also help you out to install electron cash in your mac here check it. https://github.com/electron/electron/blob/master/docs/tutorial/mac-app-store-submission-guide.md

Thanks for your links.  However, the second link explains the Mac app store submission process, which is unrelated.

I just posted a new topic:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2450068.0

It has questions about how to use Electron Cash.  If you can answer any of the questions, that would be great!  Thanks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: