Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 01:48:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost wallet password, no recovery file  (Read 611 times)
mattmaxx (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 04:00:31 PM

Okay, I am proving to be a real noob here. A year ago I created a bitcoin wallet just to try out. Not much funds in them. But with the current situation it became interesting to get them back into euro's. However I found out that I lost my wallet password. Also I created the wallet on a laptop I don't have anymore, so there was no keycard file to use. Basically I have understood that I am in the worst thinkable position. The only option (according to BitGo support) is to hire a hacking service to help me, and hope my pw is something logical or at least something based upon something I used before. I got in contact with the famous Dave, but he is too busy for me. Anyone been in this situation and got out of it succesfully? Any tips?

Feel free to call me stupid, but I know already that not writing down a password is not a smart thing to do. Any help welcome Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 6505

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2017, 04:29:56 PM

If you don't have any wallet files or your password, then there is nothing that you can do.

CryptoMonitorBot

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

Crypto Monitoring Bot is life =)

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2017, 11:13:27 PM

Do you have your wallet file ?
I like challenges, and that's a good opportunity to perform stress-tests against a wallet.

Send me a PM if you're interested.

CryptoMonitor.tech 🔹 Telegram Bot 🔹 Alerts 🔹 MultiConverter 🔹 BittrexTicker 🔹 Wallet checker
Fire Rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1267
Merit: 1000

BabelFish - FISH Token Sale at Sovryn

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 09:23:23 PM

Is it a online wallet or desktop wallet? If its a desktop wallet, it will have seed words. If you have seed words with you then you can recover your coins from the wallet even if you don't have password. Just download the electrum wallet software and install it. While installing , just select the option as to recover wallet. After that press enter and type your seed words and give a new password for your wallet. That's it .Your wallet will be restored.

.USD Stablecoin Aggregator.                                              ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀█
                                            ▄▀      ▄
              ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄      █        █
          ▄▄▀▀▀             ▀▀▄▄    ▀▀▄   ▄▀       █
  ▄     ▄▀ ▄▄▄▄         ▀▄      ▀▀▄▄   █  █       ▄
▀ ▀▄ ▄▀  █ ▄▄ █         ▀ ▄        ▀▀▄█▀▀        █
█ █▄ ▀ ▄█ ▀▄▄▄▄▀   █  ▄    ▀▄        ▄          ▄▄
█ ██               █  █     █   ▄▄▀▀▀ ▀▄          █
█ ▀ ▄▄            █   █   ██▀▀▀     ▄ █▀▀▄       █
 ▀▀   ▀▄       ▄▄▀  ▄█▄▄▀▀  ▀▀▄  ▄▀▀ █    █      ▀
         ▀█▄▄▄▄▀ ▄▄▄▀         ▄▀▀▀  ▄▀      ▀▄     █
               ▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▀          █    ▀
                                               ▀▀█▄▄▄█
.BabelFish.█▀▀▀▀▀▀
█      ▀
 █        █      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  █       ▀▄   ▄▀▀    ▄▄▀▀             ▀▀▀▄▄
  ▀▄       █  █   ▄▄▀▀      ▄▀         ▄▄▄▄ ▀▄     ▄
   █        ▀▀█▀▀        ▄ ▀         █ ▄▄ █  ▀▄ ▄▀ ▀
   ▀▄▄          ▄        ▄▀    ▄  █   ▀▄▄▄▄▀ █▄ ▀ ▄█ █
   █          ▄▀ ▀▀▀▄▄   █     █  █               ██ █
   █       ▄▀▀█ ▄     ▀▀▀██   █   █            ▄▀▄ ▀ █
  ▄█      █    █ ▀▀▄  ▄▀▀  ▀▀▄▄█▄  ▀▄▄       ▄▀   ▀
  █     ▄▀      ▀▄  ▀▀▀▄         ▀▄▄▄ ▀▄▄▄▄█▀
 ▄▀    █          ▀▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀
█▄▄▄█▀▀
.FISH token sale at Sovryn.████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
TechPriest

Activity: 377
Merit: 282

Finis coronat opus

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 10:16:46 PM

I have a question: Where do you create your account? Online wallet, core node, Electrum?
It's very hard to solve such problem because many service uses double hashing with "salt". So, as you can notice it will be hard to use (or create) so-called "rainbow dash" (time-memory trade off way. some kind of brute force).
some hackers using so-called "hacking dictionaries" for password which were created by humans. But it would hard to resolve too.

In science we trust!
pluMmet

Activity: 588
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 04:59:55 AM

I know, if passwords wallet no then it can be said lost everything in the wallet you
stallon

Activity: 23

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 01:17:40 PM

Sorry you have lost your money
mattmaxx (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 02:36:30 PM

Just to be clear: it is an online wallet. I assume the pw is based upon something I use more often, but I have probably made it too complicated. Help is still appreciated!
Flat.E

Activity: 50

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 03:20:33 PM

Check with passwords you already used elsewhere (at the time), check browser for saved passwords, I my case a lost pin/password just popped up in my brain after several days.
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2017, 04:20:39 PM

Just to be clear: it is an online wallet. I assume the pw is based upon something I use more often, but I have probably made it too complicated. Help is still appreciated!

You should have mentioned you are talking about an online wallet earlier..
The easiest way is to call the support. Did you already do this? What did they reply? Did BitGo (your wallet provider ??) reply with the suggestion to hire a hacking service ??
This is kind of confusing.

You can't just try to bruteforce a login into an online wallet. This is (in some circumstances) part of a penetration test.
And those are not legal without permission of the website owner.

Deddsq

Activity: 34

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 01:38:32 AM

Okay, I am proving to be a real noob here. A year ago I created a bitcoin wallet just to try out. Not much funds in them. But with the current situation it became interesting to get them back into euro's. However I found out that I lost my wallet password. Also I created the wallet on a laptop I don't have anymore, so there was no keycard file to use. Basically I have understood that I am in the worst thinkable position. The only option (according to BitGo support) is to hire a hacking service to help me, and hope my pw is something logical or at least something based upon something I used before. I got in contact with the famous Dave, but he is too busy for me. Anyone been in this situation and got out of it succesfully? Any tips?

Feel free to call me stupid, but I know already that not writing down a password is not a smart thing to do. Any help welcome Wink
Where do you find Dave's contacts?
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 09:58:00 AM

Where do you find Dave's contacts?
You can contact him on this page: https://walletrecoveryservices.com/contact/

Take a look at his website and follow his instructions exactly if you want to get prioritized and not thrown at the bottom of the list. He's issued a statement that he's currently overloaded due to all the requests he's receiving due to the recent price surge.
malikusama
Copper Member

Activity: 1050
Merit: 294

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 04:40:15 PM

Why we will call you stupid when many of us have already made many mistakes during the early days. Well there isn't any other way to recover your wallet, you don't have anything regarding your lost wallet so it will be impossible for your to recover unless you get help from wallet recovery services. Dave is hell busy during these days so you should need to wait in the queue because you don't have any other option.
yojodojo21

Activity: 420
Merit: 171

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 12:31:59 PM

Basically if a person needs help regarding to the problem he/she wanted to get helped , then He/she must state the full details. The lost password with no recovery file is not clarified if it is a desktop or web wallet. So how can somebody help OP's problem if the statement is confusing.  

If its a desktop wallet then it would be impossible, because you don't have the "Laptop" anymore.

If it is a web wallet then you can retrieve it through history or gmail/yahoo accounts.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: