Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 05:32:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are limit trades so slow on GDAX?  (Read 230 times)
Quektis (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 05:03:25 PM

I trade mostly with GDAX and for some reason doing a limit sell or buy takes ages most of the time. I'm talking 15/20 minutes in which I have to constantly cancel and re-instate the trade so that it stays at the last price. This is annoying because I try to come out just before a dip and by the time the transfer gets processed its usually too late and well into the dip. When I use Bittrex it usually takes seconds. Why are GDAX trades so slow? anyone else experiencing this? I trade in euros as the dollar wallet is not available here.
Serpens66
Legendary

Activity: 2926
Merit: 1131

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 07:00:31 PM

minutes does not sound right. Maybe simply set the price higher/lower? Or buy/sell with market order instead.

Mit Cointracking (10% Rabatt) behältst du die Übersicht über all deine Trades und Gewinne. Sogar ein Tool für die Steuer ist dabei Wink                          
Great Freeware Game: Clonk Rage
binance.com hat nun auch SEPA und EUR Paare! Mit dem RefLink bekommst du 5% Rabatt auf die Tradinggebühren!
Quektis (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 07:25:22 PM

There's a pretty hefty charge for market orders. I sell at the last available price, which should be the fastest. If I sold at lower then it would take longer as I would have to wait for the price to drop to sell.
HeRetiK
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 2092

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 08:20:34 PM

[...] If I sold at lower then it would take longer as I would have to wait for the price to drop to sell.

Is this your assumption or did you actually try to sell lower? Because that sentence doesn't make quite sense to me. If you place a sell order at a lower price than the latest trade you should actually be faster at finding a buyer since you're closer to the highest bid.
Quektis (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 08:32:41 PM

sorry I got it wrong, I meant 'higher'. Gdax won't let me sell at a lower price than the latest. I assumed that's normal?
illyiller

Activity: 697
Merit: 520

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 08:57:32 PM

I trade mostly with GDAX and for some reason doing a limit sell or buy takes ages most of the time. I'm talking 15/20 minutes in which I have to constantly cancel and re-instate the trade so that it stays at the last price.

It sounds like you're trying to set limit sell orders, but the price drops before they are filled. So you then find yourself chasing the price downwards. Is that correct?

This is annoying because I try to come out just before a dip and by the time the transfer gets processed its usually too late and well into the dip. When I use Bittrex it usually takes seconds. Why are GDAX trades so slow? anyone else experiencing this? I trade in euros as the dollar wallet is not available here.

You can't force anyone to fill your limit orders. They add order book liquidity for others to take, not the other way around. If you need to immediately sell, you should use a market order. But there is a reason that limit orders are free and market orders cost 0.25% last time I checked. GDAX needs the liquidity.

sorry I got it wrong, I meant 'higher'. Gdax won't let me sell at a lower price than the latest. I assumed that's normal?

With a limit ask, you can't sell lower than the highest bid. Otherwise it would be a market order and would dump into the highest bid(s).
Quektis (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 09:35:11 PM

Yea, usually the price drops before it is filled
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 09:53:04 PM

Yea, usually the price drops before it is filled

That's the risk you take with limit orders. It seems like you are waiting too long before you sell. E.g. the market is already dumping and then you put limit sells on the book above the spread. Meanwhile, the spread is dropping because the market is dumping.

Generally with limit asks, I am selling into strength. I'm selling when I've made a good profit, hit my target, and others are buying. If you wait until the market has already turned, then only small fish buyers will be left market buying, and chances are your orders won't be hit.

There's a pretty hefty charge for market orders. I sell at the last available price, which should be the fastest. If I sold at lower then it would take longer as I would have to wait for the price to drop to sell.

Yeah, GDAX market order fees are brutal. All the more reason why you should sell into strength with limit orders and reserve market orders for when you need to immediately exit the market.

Quektis (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 09:56:34 PM

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I'm going to have to change tactics  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: