Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:35:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Define Well Connected  (Read 957 times)
deadserious (OP)

Activity: 121
Merit: 102

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 05:00:33 PM

From the FAQ:

"In general, selling things that are fairly cheap (like snacks, digital downloads etc) for zero confirmations will not pose a problem if you are running a well connected node."

What makes a node well connected? 

btw, I'm assuming Node means client based on the usage of the answer in question.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
zubatej

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 05:24:22 PM

Bitcoin client connected to some other peers via reliable network connection.
deadserious (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 07:06:38 PM

Bitcoin client connected to some other peers via reliable network connection.

I was hoping for a bit better explanation than that.

Is 2 client connections well connected?  How about 10?  30?  Is well connected the quality of the network connection or the quality of the peer network connection?  Or does it mean that the peers you are connecting to are trusted to be valid clients?

If I have a local network of 20 bitcoin clients running and all configured to connect to each other with one linking out to a single unknown external client, is any of those 20 well connected?  Does the answer change if the single external client is known to be a valid client?

kinlo

Activity: 263
Merit: 250

Pool operator of Triplemining.com

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 09:06:50 PM

As long as a payment is not mined in a block, they are just floating around in all active clients, so they can be incorporated in the next block.

Once a transaction is known by a client, this client will not allow another spending of that same money.   By well connected they mean a client that can broadcast those transactions to the other clients; so the money cannot be spent twice.

Let me explain by an example:

Imagine you have a bitcoin client, only connected to one other client, the client of the attacker.   Then the attacker can send the money, your client will show it as unconfirmed.  But as you are not connected to the rest of the network, the attacker can send another payment on the real network, for the same money.     The first transaction that is mined will become permanent, and as your transaction was not visible in the global network, it will never be mined and then dropped later on:  Clients will not accept double expenses.

Does this makes any sense?
deadserious (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 09:16:48 PM

It does make some sense and thanks for the detailed explanation.

I guess what I'm really trying to wrap my head around is that if I maintain a network of trusted clients that all have a connection to each other, is that better or worse "well connected" than clients that connect to random unknown clients.

But what I get from your post is that "well connected" might be better defined in fewest possible degrees of separation from miners... would that make sense?
kinlo

Activity: 263
Merit: 250

Pool operator of Triplemining.com

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 09:22:27 PM

that is correct.  You should just be connected to the miner that will mine the next block.  But as you don't know who that will be, just be connected to all Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: