Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 11:24:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Would you buy this if it was Available?  (Voting closed: November 28, 2017, 06:48:42 PM)
Yes - 2 (8.7%)
Unsure - 0 (0%)
No - 21 (91.3%)
Total Voters: 23

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 24 GPU RIG  (Read 1717 times)
senseless

Activity: 1118
Merit: 541

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 09:55:06 PM

I cannot disclose actual component prices through distributor. But the GPU'sare AROUND the same price as yours but are liquid cooled and have more hashing power. Also the DL850,s are used. Rackmount frame? Enclosure? or you just setting on the floor or Home Depot plastic self? I don't deny that you can build it and profit from it. But you obviously know HOW to do that and do not care what it looks like as long as $$$ flow into your bank - agreed. I do not have that option. As I must use all new components, it needs to be clean, professional. There is a lot of cost to obtaining a mining system without the guts hanging out that someone can just unpack and setup in their garage.

Why not be fair? Use Amazon and NewEgg calculate everything in as we build it. Then look at the price in your cart and wonder how the hell we are not only building it but delivering it to your door step for that price? I'll tell you right now, using my exact components you will be withing $2k of that $29,999 without employees, packaging and shipping. Now, actually look at the quality of all the components and forget you are an expert and know how to build this yourself from ebay, tinfoil and plastic wrap. If you wanted to get into mining and did not want a ASIC that is worthless within 8 months, did not want or do not know how to build your own - am I not providing a fair priced service?

Really Senseless. Truly take the time to price and value that system. I will prepare another post myself using my exact parts (at least the main components) - all from Amazon and Newegg as well, not distributor prices (which it the only way it could be done)

Agreed, but for the $12,000 difference in price even a noob could hire an expert to put together the system I'm suggesting. And, it would cost them far less than the full $12,000.. Even though I don't mine with GPUs any more, maybe I should put together a how to so people can just follow my steps to get their system going. Hell, if someone wants to pay me $3,000, I'll send one of my employees to your location to assemble and setup the miners for you. Could put together a couple dozen of these things in just a few days.

When I had my warehouse I got like 200 steel industrial shelves off craigslist for $1000. IIRC they had a weight capacity of several thousand pounds.

If you want to earn a profit, the best way is to go used. You can get quality components for a tiny fraction of the price of used. The only thing you need to buy new are the GPUs. There's always someone going out of business or swapping out their gear. The shelves I bought were storage for a company that went out of business and would have cost a couple $10K new. Datacenter gear is cycled out every couple of years. Then you get mass hardware on ebay from universities, governments, datacenters, etc.. People buy the stuff by the pallet from GSA and the like then piece meal it out on ebay.

lunobird

Activity: 846
Merit: 115

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 10:11:46 PM

I would be willing to pay this if you offered cheap electric rates and hosting in a warehouse,  Would be nice if you can also cut cost down a bit more by 5k at least.

$800 1080ti msi seahawk gpu x 24 = $19200
other components  4x-T2 evga = $1640
The risers, hardrive, ram, frame, misc  = $1000

Total = $21840 if I were to do this myself with the highest components and paying full retail price. Would only take me 1 day to put this together.,  I would only charge $25k tops if i were to resell this.

Overall I would be willing to pay the premium assembly if you offered hosting service with cheap electricity.  That's what makes hashnest/genesis mining operate as a business.   I don't like genesis  hash rate slider, you don't own the hardware whereas hashnest you do own the miner when it's in stock.

So good hosting with GPU hardware ownership to the customers would be a great service I would be highly interested in.
NlaakStudios (OP)

Activity: 74
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2017, 10:50:58 PM
Last edit: November 21, 2017, 11:03:45 PM by NlaakStudios

24 @ $799 $19176   MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti DirectX 12 GTX 1080 Ti SEA HAWK X 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X PCI Express 3.0 x16
 6 @ $297    $ 1782   LEPA G1600-MA ATX12V 1600W Gold PSU
 1 @ $229    $  229   ASUS B250 MINING EXPERT LGA 1151 Intel B250 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard
 1 @ $262    $  262   Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80662I56600K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530
 1 @ $212    $  212   G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000)
 1 @ $149    $  149   SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)    
 4 @ $ 47    $  188   6-Pack MintCell VER 008S Multi-Power 16x to 1x Powered Riser Adapter Card 60cm USB 3.0 Extension Cable
 1 @ $ 17    $   17   PCI-E to PCI-E Adapter 1 Turn 4 PCI-E Slot 1-4 USB 3.0 Mining Special Riser Card
 2 @ $180    $  360   Aluminum Open Frame (T Slot) Mining Frame
 9 @ $  2    $   18   SODIAL 5Pcs N52 Disc Magnets Neodymium Rare Earth Magnet Magnetic 20x3mm with Hole 5mm
 2 @ $ 38    $   72   ABS Platic Sheets (Exterior, used in conjuction with magnets to just pop all panels on/off with no screws)
 1 @ $ 99    $   99   Windows Home OS
 1 @ $ 25    $   25   Orange Pi Controller with custom software (provides system info and control remotely through smartphone or website)
 1 @ $103    $  103   US 7" HDMI HD 1024x600 LED Screen Display Module
 6 @ $ 22    $   66   Custom build 120V/30A Relays (Used by Controller)
 1 @ $ 10    $   10   Push-On/Push-Off Power switch (turns on Controller which takes over complete control)
 1 @ $ 80    $     80   Triple wall heavy duty shipping box
 1 @ $ 52    $   52   Custom form packing Foam to fit system/box
 1 @ $ 90    $   90   Leather Document Holder - Medium - Saddleback Leather - Black (hold all Discs, Manuals, benchmarks, etc. Attached to back panel)
 1 @ $475    $  475   UPS Freight shipping (USA only)- Approximate, depends on destination zip. Also no insurance added as I have not shipped one yet.
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Total:      $23,465   Excluding US Employee labor costs
 Labor:      $ 1,040   ~$210/day Hr rate, plus, withholding taxes and insurance
 Cost:               $24,505   Cost for us to build
 Profit:           $ 5,494    Profit from consumer buying 1 each (lower for more units per order)
 Operation:   $ 2,018   Since manufacturing these will be 1/3 of our business revenue, calculate in 1/3 of the operation costs (calculated to 5 day period)
 Net Profit:        $ 3,476

Whats not calculated in here? All small hardware, ties, misc cables/adapters, etc. bought in bulk.
 Entire frame, panels are custom made from source materials for each system.
 Each Controller is custom built for each system.
 Goal is Quality, Performance and Lifespan.

So there you go. System exists and is stable. Build it yourself if you want - or don't.

[EDIT] Was wondering why it was coming up with $3.5k profit and the spreadsheet says ~$1800. The current in-house system does not have have the Orange Pi with display/relays that provides the remote control and system information. Developers started work on that in October and will not be done until end of January. I split the development cost, dedicated server, administrator and 3 support techs of evenly between 500 units. Net profit is $1815 USD.

Ok Enjoy.
wacko
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 11:10:09 PM

1 @ $ 90    $   90   Leather Document Holder - Medium - Saddleback Leather - Black (hold all Discs, Manuals, benchmarks, etc. Attached to back panel)
That's the reason for all the complaints here and why no one wants to buy your rigs. Smiley You're paying for things that are clearly excessive just because you think they're "cool". Just like that gaming 6600k CPU, gaming DDR4 3GHz ram (16gb no less), and 500gb ssd (out of which you'll never need more than 100gb) that have no place in a mining rig. And a piece of leather for $90 that holds useless crap. Oh, wait, you're not actually paying for them, you expect your customers to pay for them. Cheesy
lunobird

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 12:33:15 AM
Last edit: November 22, 2017, 12:48:22 AM by lunobird

Plus the Asus b250 mining is only $150 on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/B250-Motherboard-Cryptocurrency-MINING-EXPERT/dp/B075KFPJ6M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511310444&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+b250

ya $450 for shipping is crazy high, that's more expensive than shipping an engine,   I expect shipping to be closer to $200.

Also gold power supply's is so low class for such a high end build.  Should be platinum/titanium at least if im going to be paying $30k

I would also recommend going with server power supply units as those can do 2400 watts each and link up a bunch of gpu's.  That will save you money and also upgrade your efficiency to platinum. Also reducing weight and saving on shipping cost. You'll probably only need 3 of these vs your 6 heavy atx power supplys

Also not sure what that 120 volt/30 amp relay is.  But maybe consider those that want to use 240 volt for higher efficiency on powersupply, not sure if that matters for the relay or not.

Yes and like the above post said, Get rid of that 90 dollar leather case, Wasteful use of money, let the product speak for itself
senseless

Activity: 1118
Merit: 541

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 12:41:15 AM

And the system he built doesn't even have remote reboot functionality. If your miner crashes, you have to physically go to it. Using the parts I quoted, you can hard reset the machine from your phone with no additional parts or cost!

How many times have you guys had a miner offline for hours because you were out of the house and couldn't immediately tend to it?

When I had my GPUs, they must have had some sense of my physical location. They would ONLY crash when I left the house.

MantaMine

Activity: 301
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 02:30:43 AM

I've not been very impressed / swayed with these new mobos that support 12+ GPUs.  I see the upfront cost benefit of saving on CPU / RAM / SSD, but that doesn't outweigh the cost of 12+ GPUs going down vs 6 going down when a rig hangs.  Just my $0.02.
chiwalfrm

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 02:34:30 AM

you're building a rolls royce in a market for miners who want Hondas.  $30k will buy 150x GPU's albeit the cheaper kind like RX470 or 1060 GTX.  your rig also needs  (2) dedicated 120V/30A breakers , who the heck has that in their house.

wacko
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 02:34:50 AM

I've not been very impressed / swayed with these new mobos that support 12+ GPUs.  I see the upfront cost benefit of saving on CPU / RAM / SSD, but that doesn't outweigh the cost of 12+ GPUs going down vs 6 going down when a rig hangs.  Just my $0.02.
Same. 8 gpus per rig is what I'm using for this very reason. Even that seems a bit stretched with all those twitchy m2=>pci-e adapters. I also like to buy as little "miner-specific" hardware as possible since it'll be easier to sell regular z270 boards if I'll decide to get out of mining or upgrade.
shibob

Activity: 672
Merit: 154

Blockchain Evangelist.

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2017, 03:16:24 AM

Hi NlaakStudios, have you guys had any video demo prototype?
lunobird

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 05:16:21 AM

you're building a rolls royce in a market for miners who want Hondas.  $30k will buy 150x GPU's albeit the cheaper kind like RX470 or 1060 GTX.  your rig also needs  (2) dedicated 120V/30A breakers , who the heck has that in their house.
Since you have to run a dedicated circuit you might as well run 240volts for better efficiency.  24 gpu of 180 ti takes up 250w each.  24x250= 6000 watt . Plus you want 20 percent of extra headroom for full duty cycle I think . 6000w*1.2= 7200watt

240v/30 amp should do the trick on a single circuit. 240v*30 amp = 7200watt

It's actually pretty easy to install a 240v/30 amp breaker.  Just go to home depot and  buy a $10 dollar  breaker and buy some thick properly rated wires, buy a receptacle outlet and some cheap 240volt power distrbution units and  your done. Hard part is getting it inside the walls of the house and making it look clean. Some houses are easier than others, Should be super easy if your just doing it in the garage.  

I know nothing about electricity but it's easy to figure out by going to home depot and planning out your shopping items and a little research.

NlaakStudios (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2017, 04:30:36 PM

Hi NlaakStudios, have you guys had any video demo prototype?

No sorry we don't have video at this time. If the reception here would have been better then I would have pulled it down for a bit to make a video and show the live mining stats.

you're building a rolls royce in a market for miners who want Hondas.  $30k will buy 150x GPU's albeit the cheaper kind like RX470 or 1060 GTX.  your rig also needs  (2) dedicated 120V/30A breakers , who the heck has that in their house.
Since you have to run a dedicated circuit you might as well run 240volts for better efficiency.  24 gpu of 180 ti takes up 250w each.  24x250= 6000 watt . Plus you want 20 percent of extra headroom for full duty cycle I think . 6000w*1.2= 7200watt

240v/30 amp should do the trick on a single circuit. 240v*30 amp = 7200watt

It's actually pretty easy to install a 240v/30 amp breaker.  Just go to home depot and  buy a $10 dollar  breaker and buy some thick properly rated wires, buy a receptacle outlet and some cheap 240volt power distrbution units and  your done. Hard part is getting it inside the walls of the house and making it look clean. Some houses are easier than others, Should be super easy if your just doing it in the garage. 

I know nothing about electricity but it's easy to figure out by going to home depot and planning out your shopping items and a little research.

I went with the 120V after discussing with electrician a bit. One, the purchaser will most likely be a guy and the suggested place (if married) is the man cave (garage, at least a corner). Two, scaling. buy running whole new line to a new breaker box and adding a dozen 30A sockets - give them room to grow. It adds value to house as well, if they get out of mining or sell the house - all power tools, Neon Lights, etc can be plugged in there. I thought about it quite a bit. Just a single 8 GPU nVidia system trips a house break (just depend on algo and that running stock)

I set my cards ~(65,75C,65,750) and they are stable as hell, get max HASH/Watts /sec and use way less than 250W/ea.

Also, I was building for quality and I used the 70% rule for power, preferred 50%, but the cost of the system was already really high. I don't want the power supplies working hard for sound and lifespan. I did't not want a single component to work hard for the same reason.

yeah its expensive but the bottom line fact is that it will make 171k+ USD over 72 months ... each. That's after bending over and paying for it.

Look I was not trolling. I'm new here - mainly in Baikal X10 thread. It's actually easier for the company to NOT build and market this - but I am an engineer and wanted to do it. I would love to have the Nlaak Studios "Goliath" have a great reputation and profit, at least for company reputation.

Anyway, I got the feedback I was looking for. However I think there is a market for investors that are not IT. I will build the v2 prototype with the Orange Pi Monitor/Controller and complete it. At that point I will find a famous YouTuber (Mining gear streamer/reviewer) and ship it to them for Un-Boxing and Review. We'll see how it goes. I'm kind of favoring "Bits Be Trip'n" but have not approached him yet. Maybe in Feb 2018 when the Devs are done with the Monitor/Controller software. A not on the monitoring software (that someone said it did not have + remote access). First, it will not only detect when a system stops mining or locks up and restart it (via relay, then activating MB PW 15 secs after power applied), it will detect if you lost one or more of the GPU's and do the same, restart. We are also looking into creating software to monitor the mining of each algo and automatically (learn/adjust) GPU's settings for Maximum performance/wattage (still in research stage)
it also monitor Network (from system) and up-link and will notify. I would like to be able to use RESTful to get info from router and send commands (authenticated of course) - I brought this to the attention of several of the biggest Router Manufactures.

There is a lot this system does for the price. The Built-In Custom Monitor/Controller (free of charge, not like other sites that you pay monthly) is the big deal on this that allows you to plugin and forget (almost, but will get better in time)

When a consumer gets this, i want it to feel like you unpacking a Apple product. Hook it up and forget about it.
BitBustah

Activity: 1218
Merit: 534

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 04:35:42 PM

3.5 $ for a GPU that runs at 80°C?

I keep my card cooler than 60°C and I already get 4 USD a day. Could do even better with OC'ing. Better look for another card?
NlaakStudios (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2017, 04:51:39 PM

I keep my card cooler than 60°C and I already get 4 USD a day. Could do even better with OC'ing. Better look for another card?

Where did you come up with 80C? All GPUs are running 50C to 57C @ Ambient Room temp 79C. The higher the Ambient Room temp the warmer your cards will get because your cooling with warmer air. 75C is the MAX temp - I do not want to go higher than that for increased lifespan.
wacko
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 04:53:10 PM

yeah its expensive but the bottom line fact is that it will make 171k+ USD over 72 months ... each. That's after bending over and paying for it.
Umm, are you new to mining or something? Smiley It's not a FACT at all, that's not how it works. Just because the profits have been high for the past year doesn't mean they'll keep being high like this. Weren't you around in 2013-2014? The gpu mining profits went down so bad that people in Europe were paying more for electricity than they were getting in return from mining. Lots of people stopped mining completely and sold off all their hardware, myself included. There is no way to predict how long the gpu mining will last and how profitable it'll be, and planning for the next 6 years?! That's even more lol than i9. Cheesy
BitBustah

Activity: 1218
Merit: 534

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 04:57:00 PM

Where did you come up with 80C? All GPUs are running 50C to 57C @ Ambient Room temp 79C. The higher the Ambient Room temp the warmer your cards will get because your cooling with warmer air. 75C is the MAX temp - I do not want to go higher than that for increased lifespan.

- MSI. Tested. Good performance. Stable at 80C. Each unit AVG $3.75/day (8 GPUS) and $4.00/day (24 GPUS). Accepted.

Dude, you need to re-read what you write.

C = Celsius
F = Fahrenheit

Room temp 79C? I think you mean 79F. No one can live in 79C. It's a sauna in there if it's really 79C.

GPU 50C-57C? I guess you mean 50-57 Celsius, because 50F-57F = 10C-14C, and no card can run at 10C-14C.

Edited to add: Just saying, meant no offense.
NlaakStudios (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2017, 05:05:40 PM

- MSI. Tested. Good performance. Stable at 80C. Each unit AVG $3.75/day (8 GPUS) and $4.00/day (24 GPUS). Accepted.

Dude, you need to re-read what you write.

C = Celsius
F = Fahrenheit

Room temp 79C? I think you mean 79F. No one can live in 79C. It's a sauna in there if it's really 79C.

GPU 50C-57C? I guess you mean 50-57 Celsius, because 50F-57F = 10C-14C, and no card can run at 10C-14C.

Edited to add: Just saying, meant no offense.

I am sorry, you are correct. Ambient Room Temp is in Fahrenheit.
And ok, yes the MSI cards were indeed stable at 80C. But I have stated my GPU settings several times here, 75C is my set maximum and they have never hit that range (yet)
crocozino

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 05:23:28 PM

well that is really strange approach for mining
is I were so rich that can afford the system that big I would do it
a. myself
b. I. Would. Never. Ever. Use. NiceHash!

overall : there are many ways to build the systems which would push same hashrates as your planned system, but cheaper. So why choose yours?
lunobird

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 06:44:43 PM

Don't get discouraged b/c most people on this mining forum already knows how to build a gpu rig and we're very picky and criticize everything to our custom preference

I think you do have a market for people not technically PC savy and dont' want to deal with pc issues of building a rig.  I'm sure pro traders would also be interested for a turn key  easy solution so that way they can keep on day trading and get a new stream of cash flow as well as understand the concepts of mining hands on.

If you can build a very reliable rig, hand pick out the best reliable cards and have it run for a week without crashing, I think you'll get some sales.

I do think you should allow for some customization of hardware components or offer 3 different type of builds or something.  It's nice to be  able to customize it, For example I want the high efficiency 240 volt platinum server grade power supplies,  Or offer platinum/titantinum power supplys and the customer can use eaither 120 or 240 volt.  Or separate the system out with two/four motherboards so it's more modular in case one fails the whole system won't go offline earning nothing.

Can you show us some pics,  I'm interested now.
shibob

Activity: 672
Merit: 154

Blockchain Evangelist.

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2017, 05:13:35 AM

Don't get discouraged b/c most people on this mining forum already knows how to build a gpu rig and we're very picky and criticize everything to our custom preference

I think you do have a market for people not technically PC savy and dont' want to deal with pc issues of building a rig.  I'm sure pro traders would also be interested for a turn key  easy solution so that way they can keep on day trading and get a new stream of cash flow as well as understand the concepts of mining hands on.

If you can build a very reliable rig, hand pick out the best reliable cards and have it run for a week without crashing, I think you'll get some sales.

I do think you should allow for some customization of hardware components or offer 3 different type of builds or something.  It's nice to be  able to customize it, For example I want the high efficiency 240 volt platinum server grade power supplies,  Or offer platinum/titantinum power supplys and the customer can use eaither 120 or 240 volt.  Or separate the system out with two/four motherboards so it's more modular in case one fails the whole system won't go offline earning nothing.

Can you show us some pics,  I'm interested now.

If they really make a 24 GPU rig happen, it's a way cool! not much of us could build this also guarantee a stable operation. As I remember in Bits Be Trippin' youtube channel, BBT already tried and failed on it.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: