Bitcoin Forum
July 16, 2024, 12:49:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm in a dilemma and could use advice to continue or stop mining  (Read 210 times)
Nebell (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 104

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 06:53:54 PM

Hi,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma.
I'm a miner-investor (I don't sell immediatelly what I mine, I reinvest/keep it).

I have 2 setups with 13 GTX 1060 3gb. These two machines are earning me about $450 per month (excluding electricity cost, which is high but let's ignore that for the moment).
I have been thinking to mine for another 7-8 months, then sell everything I have, including everything I've mined.

But I have calculated that if I continue mining at the current rate of $400 per month, I will in 7 months have mined about $3150 worth of crypto if I continue at the current rate. Much more if whatever I'm mining or investing goes up in price.
If I sell my computer parts now, I will earn about $3000. These $3000 I could use to reinvest, but that's most likely not going to happen as I will need a new computer so about $1500 will go towards a laptop.

Now if we include my electricity cost which is insane, $150 per month (just from the computers, not my total cost), that would be another $1050 after 7 months.

On a side note, I have earned about $3000 from mining (this amount varies as crypto is volatile) since mid June when I started mining. This I will keep and I am hoping it will go x5 around summer 2018 (should be possible as I own mostly Waves, NEO, Nexus, Shift) so I can get rid of my loans. The more the merrier.

I would like some honest answers as to what I should do? Is it worth keeping it all or should I ditch it?

BitcoinZ - community driven, no premine, no dev-tax, developers always welcome
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3086664
https://btcz.rocks/
Tidsdilatation

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2017, 07:01:47 PM

Do you do it ONLY for profits? Then i would say sell it all. Its a gamble. But not many on this forum does this only for profits, many here are addicted to the hardware. The constant tinkering of builds etc. That is why i do it, i love the hardware. That being said, mining can be really profitable. Im at around 200-400% profit right now, due to good investments of mined coins. But if i had to think about profits all the time, i would stop.
Blazarius120

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 07:12:00 PM

Mining is definitely less stressful than investing or day trading and much more fun. At that being said, the money is probably better just investing. Really depends on you and your lifestyle. It's much harder to travel if you have a mining operation going out of your basement.

wacko
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 07:34:11 PM

But I have calculated that if I continue mining at the current rate of $400 per month, I will in 7 months have mined about $3150 worth of crypto if I continue at the current rate. Much more if whatever I'm mining or investing goes up in price.
If I sell my computer parts now, I will earn about $3000. These $3000 I could use to reinvest, but that's most likely not going to happen as I will need a new computer so about $1500 will go towards a laptop.
Reinvest in what? You're now invested in mining rigs, which do bring very high profits if you compare them to any other "classic" kind of investment. A 1-year ROI is a very rare thing in business, and most gpu rigs pay for themselves even faster than that (provided your electricity is not too expensive). Now you're thinking about selling it all, but then what? It only makes sense if you either just need money, or you know about some other kind of investment with even higher ROI.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: