Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:59:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Google killing Adsense accounts on Bitcoin-related sites  (Read 8290 times)
xchrix

Activity: 905
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 01:42:46 PM

i know this topic is really old but i read about "coding in my sleep" blog article which mentions that adsense stopped monetizing his blog. is google starting again to disable accounts with bitcoin traffic?

i am showing google adsense on cryptocoincharts.info with a lot of traffic and never had problems the last weeks/months..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fraenk

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

living in forward thinking

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2013, 03:05:32 PM

i know this topic is really old but i read about "coding in my sleep" blog article which mentions that adsense stopped monetizing his blog. is google starting again to disable accounts with bitcoin traffic?

i am showing google adsense on cryptocoincharts.info with a lot of traffic and never had problems the last weeks/months..

i've been wondering the exact same thing, i also do not see anything official on that matter when googeling...

is anyone making similar experiences these days? getting suspended by adsense?

i even have the word "bitcoin" in the url, but so far no problem... then again the site has only been up for a few weeks and i have less than 200 unique visitors a day and the income is just pennies...

LIFT loves you!
alyssa85
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 03:24:07 PM

Quote from: kiba
Time to move to a bitcoin advertising network.

Interesting Idea.

I wonder how feasible it is do do advertising without tracking cookies and client-side scripting?

Pay-per-click should be possible without cookies (and would work with text ads). Pay-per-impressiion would be trickier.

There are loads of bitcoin advertising networks out there already, and yes they work like Adsense, using cookies.

1. Coinurls.com (disclosure: affiliate link). They do adsense-style pay to click ads and also interstertial ads (like adfly)

2. puppytwist.com Adsense-style pay per click ads

3. anonymous ads Pay per impression ads

I believe there are loads more (please post if you know of others) - but they haven't got as many publishers and advertisers as Adsense. But if the community rallies around, one of them may grow to become a rival to Adsense.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit InvestBox.|.BUY X10 AND EARN 10% DAILY.🏆
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2013, 03:47:06 PM

Just had an Adsense account of mine get shut down, although it was only making me pennies. I've heard/seen of this happening to others too who ran Bitcoin-related websites. Has this happened to anyone else?

Time to move to a bitcoin advertising network.

+1

Why the hell you even deal with Google, company known for major datamining and profiling of people and privacy intrusions. Google is bunch of corporate idiots who see themselves as
God's Mind, Big Brother or whatever their delusions "suggest" and you are doing business with them? Gotta be really dumb, blinded by eventual profit or both.

That's just not true. They are us, 50,000 of us.

Mistakes happen when you hand over control to automated systems - they get fixed in time.

xchrix

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 04:07:36 PM

Why the hell you even deal with Google, company known for major datamining and profiling of people and privacy intrusions. Google is bunch of corporate idiots who see themselves as
God's Mind, Big Brother or whatever their delusions "suggest" and you are doing business with them? Gotta be really dumb, blinded by eventual profit or both.

because this is the only profitable way to keep up my website. i have tried bitcoin ad networks and got like 0.00001 BTC / month
lysr

Activity: 161
Merit: 11

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 05:02:10 PM

If this is true, it might be the worst possible event to happen to Bitcoin.
alyssa85
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 05:05:17 PM

because this is the only profitable way to keep up my website. i have tried bitcoin ad networks and got like 0.00001 BTC / month

That's down to the lack of advertisers on the BTC networks. It was the same when Google launched Adwords/Adsense back in 2005. IIRC they did loads of promos to bring advertisers into their network (gave out free adwords vouchers etc) - and even so, the expensive keywords like "mortgages" could be had for 2 cents per click. Now it's over $10 per click.

I don't know why the BTC ad networks arn't promoting themselves more thoroughly - I thought they'd have been present at that Bitcoin conference in San Jose, but from the reports I've read about the conference, it was dominated by start-ups looking to build interfaces so ordinary people could purchase from online retailers using bitcoins. The advertising space was neglected even though it's potentially lucrative.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit InvestBox.|.BUY X10 AND EARN 10% DAILY.🏆
relm9

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 05:11:09 PM

Sounds like FUD. Instead of an assault on Bitcoin-related sites more likely is that someone click bombed him and Google shut down the account as a result, that has been known to happen.
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 10:14:17 PM

Not true. Check

http://www.elbitcoingratis.es/

This is website ging away BTC and it has adsense. There are others...

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
inbox

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 10:33:06 PM
Last edit: June 20, 2013, 01:40:16 PM by inbox

Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 12:58:41 AM

Just had an Adsense account of mine get shut down, although it was only making me pennies. I've heard/seen of this happening to others too who ran Bitcoin-related websites. Has this happened to anyone else?

I can co-sign that. I let my visitors know that week accepted bitcoin donations. Then a week or so later they suspended my account because supposedly they couldn't prove certain traffic coming to my site or some BS like that. Bitcoin has a target on it's back believe it.

Now we know why Google funded Ripple.
xchrix

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 07:00:03 AM

This happened to me a couple months back.  I kept asking about it and they eventually explained that the reason was it is that they consider it a financial advice related site and I had to follow the rules they set for that.  the only issue I had was displaying my mailing address on the site.

ok so if this is a "financial advise" website, which rules do you have to follow? the issue was that you displayed your email address? Smiley
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 07:19:38 AM

So were taking down google
Mean that sarcastically
But in reality there is a bunch of computer literate humans here so we are a threat  Grin

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
xchrix

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 07:54:06 AM

This happened to me a couple months back.  I kept asking about it and they eventually explained that the reason was it is that they consider it a financial advice related site and I had to follow the rules they set for that.  the only issue I had was displaying my mailing address on the site.

ok so if this is a "financial advise" website, which rules do you have to follow? the issue was that you displayed your email address? Smiley

They wanted a physical mailing address on the web site

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/2464998?hl=en#

ok. thanks for the link. but this is for adwords. is it the same for adsense?
pwi

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 10:32:14 AM

Same song different verse. Moved a couple of blogs to more friendly hosting and abandoned adsense altogether. I won't be raising a fuss with Google et al. AdSense was such a small revenue source anyhow. Google is certainly censoring bitcoin monetizing efforts in an anti-competitive manner.

As long as my rank remains commensurate with my content relevance, I won't complain...to anyone that matters anyway.

Buy my PS3 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=216554.msg2282760#msg2282760

Sign up with campbx:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=3lo7dSqrLOu Yes it's an affiliate link, but you will not see me touting anything I do not both believe in and make extensive use of myself. Campbx is one of those things.
puffpuffpass

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

I'm nobody.

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 10:52:24 AM

That's unsettling, any further explanations?

this is how Google plays the game. they have been doing shit like this for a long time.

I have a bitcoin address that anyone can send BTC too, so I'm going to post it
on my sig because I think someone is going to randomly give me their BTC:
1D37qouguK5rNh1mSZDocgVCvA2rxsAgLp Roll Eyes
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 11:29:40 AM

@OP: How many adsense accounts do you have? FYI you are only allowed one so if you have more than one it is sufficient grounds for suspending all your accounts.

Also a few things of note for the others:

- Adsense is by far the best source of pay per click advertising income on the web. Most websites live and die by their access to adsense.

- In the medium to long term adsense earnings depend on how well your traffic converts into sales for advertisers. If it doesn't convert well clicks are discounted. This is known as smart pricing. Google doesn't disable your account for this it just lowers what it pays you.

- It is correct to say that Adsense accounts are routinely closed on the whims of some imperfect algorithm at Google. This has been going on forever. There is an appeals process but success is rare.
Coinseeker

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 03:51:39 PM

This is really bad news, if this is true.  Not just for obvious potential loss of adsense revenue, but that behind the scenes, Google is anti-Bitcoin.  This speaks volumes on the future viability of Bitcoin, as it relates to mass adoption. Again, that's if this is actually true.   Huh

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.
CryptoJunky

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2013, 04:27:42 PM

I've been using adsense on my site for the last few months and haven't had any problems to date.

With that said, if there were a good alternative that offered payouts in Bitcoin, or even another cryptocurrency, I'd opt for that. I tried out a couple of them a few months back and they were pretty abysmal.

It seems that Bitcoin would be particularly well suited for paying for and managing online advertising, especially with the possibility of small payments. Given that adsense has a minimum payment amount, a Bitcoin advertising platform that offered daily micropayments could find a niche.

If I had an idea on where to start on developing an advertising platform then I'd give it a shot, but I'm afraid my web development skills just aren't up to the task at the moment.

chmod755
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2013, 04:37:39 PM

Did this happen to anyone who got paid from Google Ireland or is this a US-only thing? Never had any problems with Adsense so far.

@OP: How many adsense accounts do you have? FYI you are only allowed one so if you have more than one it is sufficient grounds for suspending all your accounts.

Of course there could be other reasons? @OP Did you ask Google why your account has been suspended?

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: