Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:42:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-06-25 ABA Journal - Some basic rules for using ‘bitcoin’ as virtual money  (Read 976 times)
NewLiberty (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 05:30:52 PM

http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/article/some_basic_rules_for_using_bitcoin_as_virtual_money/

A basic primer on Bitcoin for the US legal community from the American Bar Association Journal.
Here come the lawyers.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
prophetx
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010

he who has the gold makes the rules

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 06:22:27 PM

http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/article/some_basic_rules_for_using_bitcoin_as_virtual_money/

A basic primer on Bitcoin for the US legal community from the American Bar Association Journal.
Here come the lawyers.

It is a pain but have to go through this...
NewLiberty (OP)
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 06:25:48 PM

Here come the lawyers.

It is a pain but have to go through this...
I think Bitcoin will stand up well to the scrutiny, and likely benefit from it too.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 08:48:54 PM

You follow the law in USA? The California invent an absurd cease and desist letter. It is clear that there aren't rules for using bitcoin, now it is just a war.

vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 08:51:00 PM

You follow the law in USA? The California invent an absurd cease and desist letter. It is clear that there aren't rules for using bitcoin, now it is just a war.

watched this today, never the more relevant
All Wars are Bankers' Wars
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 08:51:59 PM

All 7 points were pretty much valid. I see nothing wrong with the article.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 09:16:06 PM

It's actually pretty much a pro-BTC piece from the foundation (through Murck). Good for them, good for us, good for BTC (I hope).

I hope people will read it rather than just doing word association with ABA and BTC, then jumping to dark conclusions.

Having read it, I am still apprehensive. First it is obliviously America-centric, secondly it is written by and for people who are "officers of the court" - people with a vested interest in working within the system. If frictions build, they will of necessity continue to work within the (American) system, and it is possible that BTC - inherently global - cannot do so. If the American system adapts to BTC, all may go smoothly.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 09:48:11 PM

Lawyers don't build anything. They do not advance society. They are at best, parasites, at worst destroyers.

Not expecting anything exceptional here.

E.g.

“No new rules, no new regulations. We issued the guidelines to say how we see virtual currencies within the Bank Secrecy Act and record-keeping [and] reporting responsibilities,” says the director of FinCEN, Jennifer Shasky Calvery. “Virtual currencies are subject to the same rules as other currencies. … Basic money-services business rules apply here.”

Presenting a fait accompli guideline as if it has some legal standing ...  I wonder if they have talked to Parker Brothers about the new regulations of their virtual money in the Monopoly game? Or the Bellagio about virtual currency poker chips?

Part of the problem, not the solution.

NewLiberty (OP)
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 10:43:38 PM

It's actually pretty much a pro-BTC piece from the foundation (through Murck). Good for them, good for us, good for BTC (I hope).

I hope people will read it rather than just doing word association with ABA and BTC, then jumping to dark conclusions.

Having read it, I am still apprehensive. First it is obliviously America-centric, secondly it is written by and for people who are "officers of the court" - people with a vested interest in working within the system. If frictions build, they will of necessity continue to work within the (American) system, and it is possible that BTC - inherently global - cannot do so. If the American system adapts to BTC, all may go smoothly.

That's how I saw it.  There is a lawyer on both sides of every case.  The more they understand Bitcoin, the better for Bitcoin.
The Calif C&D order is a classic example of lawyers NOT understanding it, or the players involved.  So I see this as positive.  What was the Foundation meant to stop doing? Organizing conferences?

jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 04:11:58 AM

There is nothing wrong with educating people about bitcoin.  That includes knowing how your local jurisdiction's laws may apply.

Knowledge++  Ignorance--

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
polarhei

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Firing it up

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 07:45:33 AM

Better make clear for new comers as some people know how to abuse during old times byusing Fiat for this.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: