Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:06:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin and global warming  (Read 2991 times)
PlusOne88

Activity: 420
Merit: 10

“Tackling Climate Change Using Blockchain”

View Profile
November 05, 2018, 06:28:27 AM

There are so many reasons why global warming happens. Though bitcoin mining and other cryptocurrency may indeed have used up a lot of electricity in the process but I do think there are other big reasons why we could not just stop global warming so easily. In our environment carbon emissions are high, so may be their is something that has to be done to help resolve too much use of energy.  Their could be some other way around to help shorten the process of mining and some other means to make transactions easier but still safe. I think we need more studies on it. I haven't known much about the technology you have said but if their is any chance of allowing as to save electricity then maybe it could help the cryptocurrency economy. So maybe it is worth trying....

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Aldrinx00

Activity: 882
Merit: 13

View Profile
November 05, 2018, 06:49:11 AM

Sure bitcoin mining is one of the factor that cause global warming but it is not the main one, there are huge causes of it like gas emissions, smokes from burning garbage fields, smokes from cigarettes and many more. Also i think that they are thinking for an alternative solution for bitcoin mining like solar power and hydro powered electricity.

GemmaJon

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 05, 2018, 07:06:48 AM

The use of bitcoin electricity is several times higher than the amount of electricity consumed in the operations of the old financial system. Bitcoin consumes a large amount of electricity "exponentially." Banks say that if people do not continue to use "reliable" old payment gateways, switching to Bitcoin will deplete the world's power supply,
zbig001

Activity: 162
Merit: 19

View Profile
November 05, 2018, 08:23:18 AM

Intermittency of "green" energy is a serious problem for grid operators, which must constantly balance supply and demand of energy.
Free market and sometimes negative prices of energy are very helpful, industrial plants can switch on excess heating or cooling processes, and earn money while balancing the grid.
But even better solution would be to mine cryptocurrency in periods when there is too much sun and wind in relation to the needs.
I believe that cryptocurrency mining can paradoxically contribute to the faster development of green energy.
kesmex

Activity: 1110
Merit: 104

The OGz Club

View Profile
November 05, 2018, 08:37:16 AM

I think our main problem is the huge electricity expense induced by mining and its noxious effect on the climate. This is, to my mind, the only serious argument against Bitcoin.
Alleviating the electricity expense should be one of our priorities. If we do not do it for the sake of the Earth (which we really should) we should at least do it selfishly because governments will not tolerate this forever and they will be right. The more the exchange rate increases, the worse it gets, of course.
Some solutions exist though: first there is proof-of-stake, of course. This technology may be too young to be deemed reliable enough but we should at least start considering it.
If we do not like proof-of-stake I think we could drammatically decrease the electricity expense by stopping monetary creation now. Nowdays Bitcoin is famous enough to remain secure even if miners earned transaction fees only. And if as a whole there are 16.5 M coins instead of 21 M, this does not make much of a difference. That is even good for holders. To make miners agree with that solution, they must be compensated for their lost income.  More precisely, active miners must be compensated because they have already bought ASICs. Futures miners do not need to be compensated. Since mining is a competitive industry, future miners will make no profit on average, whatever the reward scheme. To compensate active miners we could decide that the next 2016 blocks yield, say, 100 new coins and then 0 forever. Everybody would win and the Earth above all!
There are probably many other solutions and I wish the community cared a little more about this fundamental issue.
no, bitcoin mining activity has little effect on global warming, compared to motor vehicle fumes, forest destruction and factory volumes, so bitcoin mining is not the main problem and not the cause of global warming.

The OGz Club     [ [ [ [ [   The 1st & Only #MemeFi Project   ] ] ] ] ]
Website     ◢ Reddit     ◢ Telegram     ◢ Twitter     ◢ TikTok     ◢ Facebook
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄     ►► Powered by BOUNTY DETECTIVE     ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Quitthis

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 05, 2018, 08:41:48 AM

I think our main problem is the huge electricity expense induced by mining and its noxious effect on the climate. This is, to my mind, the only serious argument against Bitcoin.
Alleviating the electricity expense should be one of our priorities. If we do not do it for the sake of the Earth (which we really should) we should at least do it selfishly because governments will not tolerate this forever and they will be right. The more the exchange rate increases, the worse it gets, of course.
Some solutions exist though: first there is proof-of-stake, of course. This technology may be too young to be deemed reliable enough but we should at least start considering it.
If we do not like proof-of-stake I think we could drammatically decrease the electricity expense by stopping monetary creation now. Nowdays Bitcoin is famous enough to remain secure even if miners earned transaction fees only. And if as a whole there are 16.5 M coins instead of 21 M, this does not make much of a difference. That is even good for holders. To make miners agree with that solution, they must be compensated for their lost income.  More precisely, active miners must be compensated because they have already bought ASICs. Futures miners do not need to be compensated. Since mining is a competitive industry, future miners will make no profit on average, whatever the reward scheme. To compensate active miners we could decide that the next 2016 blocks yield, say, 100 new coins and then 0 forever. Everybody would win and the Earth above all!
There are probably many other solutions and I wish the community cared a little more about this fundamental issue.

What about el.cars? How many toxic gases and waste they generate while producing batteries and don't forget they sale oil to make el.cars. And we all are almost forced ti buy them because they are green. Look there is a lot of things that polute the earth. And I don't think only crypto can help the earth
Valer4ik

Activity: 490
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 05, 2018, 09:13:35 AM

There is a certain paradox. Prices are taken from exchanges, and many large exchanges are offline, roughly speaking from pocket to pocket. But the course is from the exchange. So the price is the same and there is no undervaluation? So it costs so much. Where to go in growth? Everyone is happy 🤔
mornabo

Activity: 1148
Merit: 504

View Profile
November 05, 2018, 09:35:32 AM

Bitcoin is nothing to do with global warming. Global warning is an increase of global temprature which causes climate change. The reason of it are when carbon dioxide, other air pollutants and greenhouse gases collect in the atmosphere and absorb sunlight and solar radiation that have bounced off the earth’s surface.
Your statement is too deep mate, of course bitcoin will not cause things like that, the current concern is, many people say that bitcoin is not good for the environment because bitcoin uses electricity resources, such as crypto mining that uses too much electricity? I think this won't be too dangerous for the environment, isnt it ?
YOSHIE
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1760

View Profile
November 05, 2018, 09:51:16 AM

I assume that all people in the world are focused on excessive technology and electricity,
So for that if you say Bitcoin is one of the global warming up the world is wrong.
Example:
If Bitcoin isn't there, of course people also have to use an excessive internet system.
As:
- games, banks, telephone, television, nuclear, and many others.

For this reason, in my opinion Bitcoin is not one of the world's global heat sinkers.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
stigmacryptonight

Activity: 574
Merit: 13

View Profile
November 05, 2018, 10:06:57 AM

Bitcoin exploration is actually adding within the worldwide heating however because other people say actually banking institutions tend to be performing exactly the same perhaps once the period arrives which bitcoin changed the actual foreign currency fiat program after that it will likely be a suitable utilization of power as well as factor towards the worldwide heating.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13]  All
  Print  

Jump to: