Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 05:21:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcore core shut down my internet  (Read 881 times)
legend018 (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 12:30:57 AM

High Speed internet. Entire house went down. Laptop running it isn't associated with our internet setup.  Resetting routers and modem didn't help. Shutting down bitcore did.  Is that normal?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
legend018 (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 12:46:15 AM

I'm guessing my service "Comcast" doesn't allow it or I have some restrictions. I've always had a pretty good internet service - never had to worry about much - but my guess is running the bit coin core is something it doesn't allow or basically touches upon something in the service agreement. Not sure what it is exactly, but obviously there is a reason it took the internet down like that. Hmm guess I can't run bitcoin core. disappointed, thought it would be fun to run it.
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4922

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2017, 08:47:20 AM

It's possible... My old ISP used traffic shaping. As soon as i started downloading using the torrent protocol (even legal torrents, like linux distro's), my speed went down to 28 kbps (dialup speed). So, an ISP has the opportunity to put you on smallband speed if they detect a certain type of traffic.

Wether or not they can legally do this, depends on the contract you have with them...

If you face the same problem, rest assured that it has nothing to do with bitcoin core, but rather with a hostile ISP that enforces traffic shaping when they detect something they don't like.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16637

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2017, 10:00:51 AM

I'm guessing my service "Comcast" doesn't allow it or I have some restrictions.
One way or another, it's not Bitcoin Core that shut down your internet.
You could try VPN, see what they do to that. But isn't it more likely they disconnected you because of your bandwidth usage? Bitcoin Core downloads about 150GB when you first start it. I know my ISP doesn't care, but some have restrictions.

Mountaingoat

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2017, 10:39:25 AM

Maybe if your internet provider uses a data cap that you reached that data cap or maybe they noticed an unusual amount of traffic coming or going from/to your place?

I would call your internet provider and ask them if they had anything to do with it.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1301

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 11:14:38 AM
Last edit: November 22, 2017, 05:50:33 PM by cr1776

High Speed internet. Entire house went down. Laptop running it isn't associated with our internet setup.  Resetting routers and modem didn't help. Shutting down bitcore did.  Is that normal?

You can always try it running over a vpn or tor.  Your ISP might still shut it down or not, but it would be more difficult for them to determine that you are running bitcore.  (Did you mean Bitcoin Core or did you really mean bitcore, btw?)

And the headline is misleading. Your ISP shut it down, not “bitcore core”
legend018 (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 12:58:11 PM

bitcoin core.  I downloaded it using the link at this site. I have used torrent software before with no problems, but never downloaded or uploaded a lot.  Ya I'm sure something is up with the provider.  I just talked to one of the reps in a chat window.
She told me 180GB  is my cap.
kahc

Activity: 350
Merit: 13

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 01:15:33 PM

bitcoin core.  I downloaded it using the link at this site. I have used torrent software before with no problems, but never downloaded or uploaded a lot.  Ya I'm sure something is up with the provider.  I just talked to one of the reps in a chat window.

If you haven't reached you cap yet, maybe your router can't handle the amount of incoming connections.
Have you tried decreasing incoming connections? and limit the node upload speed?
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16637

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2017, 03:32:53 PM

She told me 180GB  is my cap.
If you also downloaded other data, it's possible you've hit your limit. If it's a monthly limit, just continue next month.

Once your blockchain is up to date, it will only download few GB per month.

mocacinno
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2017, 06:42:39 AM

If you have a 180Gb cap limit, might i just suggest to switch to an SPV wallet, like electrum? Otherwise you might run into troubles again in the future.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
legend018 (OP)

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 01:50:38 PM

If you have a 180Gb cap limit, might i just suggest to switch to an SPV wallet, like electrum? Otherwise you might run into troubles again in the future.

I wasn't using it for my wallet. I was just trying to download and install bitcoin core so I could experience that, thought it would be fun. I had already downloaded and installed it. but it was going through the update process when you first set it up and when I came home that night, others in the household said the entire internet was down.
SureLockLoans

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 01:54:17 PM

I wasn't using it for my wallet. I was just trying to download and install bitcoin core so I could experience that, thought it would be fun. I had already downloaded and installed it. but it was going through the update process when you first set it up and when I came home that night, others in the household said the entire internet was down.

You might want to increase your data cap if you want to experience Bitcoin core as a full node. I'm not sure where you are located but datacaps aren't a normal thing where I live and theres only soft caps where they will throttle your speed if you are downloading too much.

Bitcoin core requires you to install the whole of the blockchain and there's no way around it.

neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 01:57:35 PM

It's over. For someone that has an internet data cap (I haven't heard of that for years.. only in phone internet providers) you simply can't run a full node, unfortunately. You will have to resort to SPV, that's Electrum. It's the only SPV wallet I would trust if I couldn't run my own node.

So either get electrum or simply get a better internet deal with no cap.
legend018 (OP)

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 02:09:48 PM

I'll have to do some more research, but is that a personal preference over say Mycelium or are there benefits to having electrum over mycelium?
mocacinno
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2017, 02:20:30 PM

I'll have to do some more research, but is that a personal preference over say Mycelium or are there benefits to having electrum over mycelium?

AFAIK, mycelium is an android SPV HD wallet, while electrum can be installed on linux, windows, mac, android,... The only popular platform they don't support seems to be the iphone.
I wouldn't put all my BTC on a mobile wallet to begin with, just because a mobile phone can be lost/stolen quite easily... But that's just my personal opinion

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
legend018 (OP)

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 02:24:17 PM

Thanks all!
neurotypical

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 04:03:24 PM

AFAIK, mycelium is an android SPV HD wallet, while electrum can be installed on linux, windows, mac, android,... The only popular platform they don't support seems to be the iphone.
I wouldn't put all my BTC on a mobile wallet to begin with, just because a mobile phone can be lost/stolen quite easily... But that's just my personal opinion

And if you should also not store your coins in a windows machine. If you want to be serious about your money, get Linux and install Electrum there. You have to get used to using Linux if you want to be safe from propietary software.

Get an easy to use distro like Ubuntu and you should be good to go, learn how to install Ubuntu and Electrum on it just look for Youtube tutorials about it it's pretty easy.
legend018 (OP)

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 04:50:29 PM

And if you should also not store your coins in a windows machine. If you want to be serious about your money, get Linux and install Electrum there. You have to get used to using Linux if you want to be safe from propietary software.

Get an easy to use distro like Ubuntu and you should be good to go, learn how to install Ubuntu and Electrum on it just look for Youtube tutorials about it it's pretty easy.
I have experience in Linux, have played around with it enough in the past.  Should I actually create a VM for it? Or just dedicate a computer/laptop to it? 
neurotypical

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 06:37:36 PM

I have experience in Linux, have played around with it enough in the past.  Should I actually create a VM for it? Or just dedicate a computer/laptop to it? 

I would buy a laptop that can be librebooted, which means you are going to be using one of these old Thinkpads and not much else.

You can also buy a computer and install Coreboot on it, but Coreboot doesn't get rid of most of the ME stuff, Libreboot gets rid of it all as far as I know.

All advanced users in Bitcoin know that CPUs have spyware on them, so if you want to be serious, research the subject.

If you aren't ready to do that, then at least install Linux in a partition or buy a separate HDD for it. VM is good for testing but I wouldn't run VM for anything serious.
multinova

Activity: 196

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2017, 11:52:29 PM

Wow never experienced something like that with my bitcore core .. maybe it's some sort of net neutrality already enforced ?
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2017, 06:28:25 PM

Find a friend who runs Bitcoin core, and copy the blockchain onto an SD card, or external SSD. Download core, and point it to the SSD drive, or copy the SD card onto your hard drive, and use the copy. Core handles that without any problems. If you don't want your ISP to know you run Bitcoin, then install core on a netbook with the SSD, and synchronise at your nearest McDonalds or other WiFi restaurant.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
mocacinno
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2017, 07:52:10 AM

Wow never experienced something like that with my bitcore core .. maybe it's some sort of net neutrality already enforced ?

If they actually did this, it would be the exact oposite of net neutrality:

https://www.savetheinternet.com/net-neutrality-what-you-need-know-now

Net Neutrality is the internet’s guiding principle: It preserves our right to communicate freely online.

Net Neutrality means an internet that enables and protects free speech. It means that ISPs should provide us with open networks — and shouldn’t block or discriminate against any applications or content that ride over those networks. Just as your phone company shouldn’t decide who you call and what you say on that call, your ISP shouldn’t interfere with the content you view or post online.

Without Net Neutrality, cable and phone companies could carve the internet into fast and slow lanes. An ISP could slow down its competitors’ content or block political opinions it disagreed with. ISPs could charge extra fees to the few content companies that could afford to pay for preferential treatment — relegating everyone else to a slower tier of service. This would destroy the open internet.

So IF the isp was actually traffic shaping or blocking, it would certainly not be "enforcing net neutrality".

But, it looks like the OP just maxed out his monthly cap, so it has not much to do with net neutrality in the end.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████