Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:40:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S9 garage setup?  (Read 513 times)
thienbao12a2 (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 04:23:59 AM

Hi, I am new to mining, and I am going to buy some antminer S9. The plan is to place the miners in my roomy garage, but my garage isnt ACd, I live in Atlanta, GA USA so we have 10 cool - cold months which are from Oct to May, and June to Sep is really hot, temperature is usually around 80- 100F mostly 90F. My garage doesnt have any window, so it could be hot during the summer, ( not as hot as outside) but i can open up the ceiling of the garage, and run some flex duct from the miner's exhaust to the vent on the roof, so that the heat from the miners can be extracted outside of the house, but I am glueless about how i can install an intake fan to my garage, since there is no window at all. I cant really install a window, since it s my parents' house. but the garage does connect with the kitchen which is ACd, but that is not an option also, since it would be too loud and affect our activities. I was just wondering if I could make a fan and some cooper coil to  run iced water thru, in order for the fan to produce much cooler air and point the fan to the miner's intake, and then the air will go thru the miners then go to the roof the. Out of the house? Please help, thank you In advance

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vmattprice

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 07:34:52 PM

Funny, i'm in nearly the exact same situation, even live in Marietta, GA.

What I am going to do (have 2 Antminer S9's on order) is to build an enclosure for a 4 post rack frame, cut two large ports in both sides at the bottom where I can install two traditional home air filters to keep the air going into the enclosure free of dirt and debris (since it will be in the garage, not the cleanest place).  Additionally, I am going to cut a 12" circle exhaust port on the top, attach ducting to do exactly what you describe, vent up along the garage roof line until I can turn it up into the attic and vent out one of our decorate existing vents on the front facia of our home.  Should be relatively easy to run this.  To help exhaust, i'm adding an in-line vortex fan to suck the hot air out and force it out the vent.  Lastly, to combat the temps you describe, i'm going two things: 

1.) Inside the enclosure, rather than just sitting the S9's in their rackmount enclosures (which I also have) and letting the fans vent hot air into the enclosure affecting the surrounding temps, i'm going to install individual tubing from each S9 with a shroud and channel it to this exhaust port.. This way, each S9 channels it's own hot air through an isolated tube to the exhaust port, keeping the surrounding ambient temps inside the enclosure lower.. 

2.) I'm going with a floor A/C unit, probably from Tripplite, and cutting 1 additional port in the bottom side to pipe in A/C'd air directly into the enclosure.. If this isn't adequate, as bad as I would hate to, I could install a second floor  unit with another hole on the opposing side.

This should be adequate to cool them during the summer months, I hope Smiley

Thanks,

Matt
CryptoHodler30

Activity: 112
Merit: 6

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 06:02:19 AM

I have read numerous times ac isn't worth it. Fans and proper exhaust should do. Try searching the forum there are some great setups for garage and shed installs.
vmattprice

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 12:13:13 PM

Well, I have read the same; however, to some degree (pun intended), I think it depends on where you live.  A garage in Canada is obviously way different temps than a garage in Georgia come July and August in the dead heat of summer.

I would imagine our garage, during those hot summer months, probably gets to the mid 90's, easy.  I hear you on the proper ventilation, especially exhaust; however, I just fear that running gear that hot w/o any type of proper cooling (besides just hot air movement) would decrease the longevity of the gear..  Not to mention, I plan on running other things in this cabinet besides ASICs.. For instance, I have my 8 GPU rig i'm probably going to rack mount and stick in there as well, which has a full computer, drives, etc..

Thanks for the input,

Matt
CryptoHodler30

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 02:17:00 PM

Matt

Okay i got ya. And i understand the heat thing too, i am in FL and just starting my build out and should be running by the beginning of the year depending on supply of A8 or S9. Im only going to be starting with two machines so i will start with fans, as i have seem a huge setup in Texas that was just using fans, take a look at this AWESOME thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1806061.0

-CH30
vmattprice

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 04:02:44 PM

Same here, I'm starting with two S9's (late January, already have the PSUs from Bitmain), but I want to build my enclosure to scale some, as well as handle additional gear as previously mentioned.. I just can't fathom as hot as it gets inside the garage in the dead heat of summer to be okay without ANY cooled air (fans just move around ambient temp air).. Example, my GPU's now run around 68-72 under full load mining.  No way I would believe that once I enclose them in a rack-mount case, and stick them in the 95 degree garage, that they could stay at 70 lol (math doesn't add up).  Ambient air is 95, moving at 1000 CFM, air is still 95 lol..

I believe A/C is going to be a requirement for what i'm trying to accomplish, at least in the summer months.

Thanks,

Matt
vmattprice

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 07:15:38 PM

This is plan C Smiley  Plan B would be to add a second floor A/C unit and double the cold air being pumped into the enclosure. Smiley  Plan B 1/2 might be to move hahaha
CryptoHodler30

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 03:40:32 AM

I just need to get my hands on some miners now. Electrician said it would be 375 to run 240 to my shed that is 50 feet away as well as wire the inside of the shed for fans And lights.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: