Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:49:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Avalon ASIC Chips - Out of Stock  (Read 2713 times)
503guy (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 09:58:41 PM

Look here:

http://store.avalon-asics.com/?product=avalon-asic-chips-10000

Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 10:02:08 PM

Avalon shop has some maintenance or so.

"We do however need to bring the site down within the next few hours to upgrade for trade-in orders. So if you are running into problems ordering chips and/or viewing orders please do not panic, we expect this update to finish by later tonight ( EST time. )"

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
503guy (OP)

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 10:04:15 PM

Cool, funny way to take the site down.

Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 10:08:12 PM

Cool, funny way to take the site down.

Well has the desired effect, stops people from purchasing, right? Wink

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
hardpick

Activity: 265
Merit: 250

Football President

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 10:10:51 PM

with kncminer having  100 GH asics on the on the way --- Avalon  need to upgrade to V2
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 10:47:31 PM

with kncminer having  100 GH asics on the on the way --- Avalon  need to upgrade to V2

kncminer does not have any asics last time I checked.

This and the higher price for the newer chips doesnt mean that the new tech is so superiour. The gh per $ isnt such a big difference.

Bitcoinorama

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 11:03:21 PM

This and the higher price for the newer chips doesnt mean that the new tech is so superiour. The gh per $ isnt such a big difference.

Are you nuts? Avalon charges around $50 per gh bulk chip, KnC is potentially offering $17.50 per assembled gh!

503guy (OP)

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 11:08:41 PM

Are you nuts? Avalon charges around $50 per gh bulk chip, KnC is potentially offering $17.50 per assembled gh!

Actually, if you do a group buy the going rate would be $35 for ~1gh.  Plus they can be overclocked to lessen the gap to knc..

Bitcoinorama

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 11:15:56 PM

Actually, if you do a group buy the going rate would be $35 for ~1gh.  Plus they can be overclocked to lessen the gap to knc..

Of course, and I'm honestly looking forward to what DIY talent exists. I think the cumulative DIY talent will trump most companies. I think it will save some companies as well!

To say there is a negligible difference was incorrect though.

alfabitcoin

Activity: 476

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 11:16:21 PM

Actually, avalon goes for around $30/ghs. Saturn is 3795$/200ghs wo vat e.g. $19/ghs per assambled unit.
But fact is that they dont have working asic yet and that many things can be off specs.
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 11:21:42 PM

Actually, if you do a group buy the going rate would be $35 for ~1gh.  Plus they can be overclocked to lessen the gap to knc..
Actually, avalon goes for around $30/ghs. Saturn is 3795$/200ghs wo vat e.g. $19/ghs per assambled unit.
But fact is that they dont have working asic yet and that many things can be off specs.

Avalon's chips are 282 Mh/s, BTC price was between 120 and 140 during bulk buys, plus shipping. I remember at the time to the UK it worked out to around $14 a chip. ($50 was wrong sorry, mental math)

I'm not including boards, heat sinks, power supply, casing, etc.

A complete Jupiter unit with revised specs comes to $17.50 per Gh fully assembled. These are reputedly minimum.

Both will have DIYers and nutty risk takers liquid cooling and maxing them out beyond stability. That will be fun to observe, but not participate in!

FlappySocks

Activity: 546

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 11:23:53 PM

KNC is a game changer for $/gh. No doubt about that if they ship on time.

Bitfury is the one to watch.  Could wipe the floor with KNC, with low cost miners.  PCBs already in production. Depends if flooding the market with chips in good time is his plan.
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 11:26:23 PM

Bitfury is the one to watch.  Could wipe the floor with KNC, with low cost miners.  PCBs already in production. Depends if flooding the market with chips in good time is his plan.

It's not healthy for Bitfury, or KnC to wipe the floor with eachother, or BFL, or Avalon, all need eachother, as does Bitcoin. Without competition none will survive for long.

503guy (OP)

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 11:29:23 PM

Actually, if you do a group buy the going rate would be $35 for ~1gh.  Plus they can be overclocked to lessen the gap to knc..

Avalon's chips are 282 Mh/s, BTC price was between 120 and 140 during bulk buys, plus shipping. I remember at the time to the UK it worked out to around $14 a chip. ($50 was wrong sorry, mental math)

A complete Jupiter unit with revised specs comes to $17.50 per Gh fully assembled. These are reputedly minimum.

Both will have DIYers and nutty risk takers liquid cooling and maxing them out beyond stability. That will be fun to observe, but not participate in!

The big difference is the difficulty between the two investments.  Batch #1 chips should be arriving in the next few weeks.  The difficulty increase between those chips and sep/oct for knc may likely render knc's ROI to never.  That in my mind, makes the price difference well worth it.

FlappySocks

Activity: 546

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 11:31:53 PM

It's not healthy for Bitfury, or KnC to wipe the floor with eachother, or BFL, or Avalon, all need eachother, as does Bitcoin. Without competition none will survive for long.

Maybe, but it's an arms race, not a picnic.  I'm sure there are sufficient Avalon chips on pre-order to keep hashing power stable. But there will be winners for a while. But I doubt for long. ROI will drop like a stone for the more pricey investments.
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 11:33:33 PM

The big difference is the difficulty between the two investments.  Batch #1 chips should be arriving in the next few weeks.  The difficulty increase between those chips and sep/oct for knc may likely render knc's ROI to never.  That in my mind, makes the price difference well worth it.

28nm will profit long after 110nm, and that's without the amount of intermediaries involved in delivering chips, splitting chips, assembling chips, then delivering chips, especially as many of these intermediaries are relatively anonymous and producing untested products, such as 64 chip boards.

I hope it does work out for all, genuinely. I don't see this ASIC race as being profitable, as much as fun to part of, but I do fear some will have tears as they have saddled themselves with debt stupidly to play this game.

No doubt Yifu et al. are sitting pretty though, whatever the outcome, the stress has been worth it for BitSyncom...

503guy (OP)

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 11:35:51 PM

No doubt Yifu et al. are sitting pretty though...

Yeah actual production cost of one chip is well below $8 per chip (current price)...

hardpick

Activity: 265

Football President

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 07:27:27 AM
Last edit: June 27, 2013, 07:38:18 AM by hardpick

No doubt Yifu et al. are sitting pretty though...

Yeah actual production cost of one chip is well below $8 per chip (current price)...

cost something like a $1 per chip They sold about 1 million chips at about $14 each  . He nows has 13 million in the bank

why would he want to get batch 3 out ? -- just give customer there money back - and start working on V2 asic  or have a holiday!

If you buy the current Avalon asic today you be lucky is you have a working product by xmas - by then the difficulty may be 250 to 500  million
because every body will have shipped product - (including BFL)- hence you need a better asic ie low power and at least  50 GH per asic ( not 300 MH)
alfabitcoin

Activity: 476

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 08:57:49 AM

Avalon from GB cost is 0.087btc when btc were $120. That is $10,44 per chip. Later GB batches got it for chepaer price.
There was a period of first batches when btc were under $100.
Anyhow, I agree that we need more asic manufacures, what will compete with each other, lower the price and dev next generation. That would be good for them, miners and bitcoin itself.
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 03:38:15 PM

Ok lets calculate:

Jupiter: $6995 + 19% VAT = $8324.05 = $20.81 per GH

Avalon: 782.1BTC for 10K Chips = $81338.4
Using burnin for assembly (he is a bit more expensive than others so i dont take psu and other things into account. There are assemblers that need nearly half ot that price only.)
10K Chips assembly is 50000€ = $65155
Total: $146493.4 = $51.948 per GH

Now see that the clockcap isnt at 282MHz but at 450MHz. Thats a overclocking capability up to 159.57% instead 100%.

With proper cooling possible. Means $32.554 per GH.

So by letting the chips run at normal 282Mhz the price per GH is 2.496 times higher. With overclocking its only 1.5643 times higher cost.

Then take into account that kncminers will come out months later after the avalon chip miners are running since a long time already. The difficulty is rising 10 to 25% each 2 weeks at the moment. That means each month is getting 22% to 55% higher difficulty.

What do you think will remain from the lower price once the kncminers are running? And you can be sure that kncminer is running into the same starting problems every miner creator ran into in the past. Means more waiting time.

I think its funny that the price difference for the GH are so near together between old and new tech. I now know why Asicminer and Avalon used the old techniques first.

In my opinion kncminer customers would have been better chosing a technique that is available faster. Time is one of the most crucial factors at the moment. Of course kncminer will use less power... but it will take time until the power cost will be a factor that has to be taken into account really.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: