Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:22:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are BFL Jalapeños worth it?  (Read 9402 times)
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 03:48:46 PM

I think the real problem is whether BFL will run out of cash before shipping all the devices owed to customers.  It seems they are using pre-order funds for R&D, therefore they may not have enough funds left to ship to all the customers.

This isn't a real concern. They start shipping at reasonable levels, they will NOT have cash flow problems. They won't have to even begin to clear the backlog. If they shipped 1000 units in a week, enough people would jump on the bandwagon to cover shipping with ease.

of course the odds of them doing that don't look to hot..

Unless they can't make enough money per unit to pay cost of goods, salaries, rent, etc. They are getting their chips in low quantities which means they are using what is called a Multi-project wafer (MPW). That means the chips are anywhere from $40 to $80 a piece. They originally planned on putting one chip per Jalapeno, but now they have to put 2 per Jalapeno. The chips are easily the most expensive part of the device.

They have to make 60,000 devices and that will cost them at least $6 million, probably more like $12-18 million just to buy the parts for them.

In 2-3 months the Avalon based Klondike boards arrive and triple the mining difficulty. Can BFL get enough pre-orders in now to make enough product to matter?

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
navigator

Activity: 362
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 08:44:05 PM

I mentioned something about making 50,000 devices over at the BFL forums and Josh responded saying he doubt they even had half that many orders. So they are probably closer to the 15000-25000 range, maybe less.
stripykitteh
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 07:23:32 AM

I mentioned something about making 50,000 devices over at the BFL forums and Josh responded saying he doubt they even had half that many orders. So they are probably closer to the 15000-25000 range, maybe less.

We also need to consider that one order may have more than one device. If you have a look at bfl.ptz.ro, you can see that they have 4441 devices spread across about 3000 orders, or almost 1.5 devices per order.

There is some analysis going on over on the BFL forums about the ratio of invoice numbers to orders to cancellation; I think they were estimating about 4 orders for every 10 invoice numbers. Don't have the link but scoot over there to check it out.

If I had to spitball it I'd guess:

60,000 invoice numbers
25,000 paid orders
3,000 cancellations
1.5 devices per order

(25,000 - 3,000) * 1.5 ~= 33,000 devices

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
bronan

Activity: 774
Merit: 500

Lazy Lurker Reads Alot

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 11:28:58 AM

Is jalapeno worth it : NO
you might end up with such a crap device as i have i sure as hell made a huge mistake doing business with bfl
the jalapeno i received looked ok when it started up and showed a 6000 Mh/s initial hash speed
every time i checked i saw bigger hw error numbers and the hashing speed kept going down and still is going down.
after a few hours i had dropped to 4700 Mh on average and today several days later is only makes 4400 Mh

lots of idiots say send it to BFL which most of the time not even respond to emails
they all forget that i live in the netherlands and believe me if they would ever respond normal i would loose another half year or more to get either the same crap back or get a replacement if i would ever get anything back
if i would have lived in the usa i would have sued them the second they did respond the way they did

Second soon the difficulty (about 2 to 3 days) goes up another 2 million at least so the time to get a block will be insane soon as well
So mining on small devices will get you maybe your investment in the device back
But if you want to get some money out of mining you need ASICMINER shares or a huge asic miner which does a big deal more on hash powers then what bfl is selling
chuhuue

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 04:31:13 AM

I would not even dream of buying a Jally right now. Too much risk with BFL and they may not even ever deliver. I would go with a GPU rig atm.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: