Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:53:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmessage as a community emergency contact  (Read 1239 times)
Darktongue (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 11:33:07 PM

I'm enjoying the shit out of bitmessage. So let's put on some tin foil abd say a grid out happens.  Power is on but are contact ability is zero.  If you had the ability to keep a node alive one could still send messages to another. If a mighty kill switch hasn't gone off one should still be able to keep his or her device of choice alive to run a client and be able to dispatch infomation to the node often enough to check in on family, set a rally point or assist in aid or rescue. And further download the chain to keep for updateing other nodes and users.

I think if I've learned anything it's how easy it really is to fork projects like this. So what if this was made so piss easy. All one had to do is enter a few fields of info and like fucking etardie magic.  A back water communication system is created.. Might be something to present to ham operaters.
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 11:36:25 PM

you shouldn't need to change the code. if your network is isolated than it will start its own block-chain(ish thing) by default and if it comes into contact with another previously isolated network than the two chains should automatically merge right?

to me this really is the big selling point of bitmessage, how it should in theory be able to withstand an internet kill switch scinario.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
kewal

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 11:52:29 PM

but you need to know the address(es) of those you might want to communicate with - or a "backwater shared address".

If there would be any "forking" to be done - or modification to the main branch, I think it would be the inclusion of such a channel.

Interesting idea.  But, I really think most scenarios where it might be really useful might preclude its use.

But with some additional effort we might arrive at something disaster resilient.

*generator, solar, or manual crank powered laptop.
*bitmessage client with pre-defined emergency channels
*bitmessage spitting a stream out to a radio transmitter that broadcasts the blockchain via morse code.
*radio reception for same

Imagine such a setup - and someone travelling up or down the East Coast of the US (just as an example).  As they passed through different reception zones, they would merge blockchains, and act as a crypto-pony-express.  Smiley

If nothing else - I think I have a budding scenario for a sci-fi short story. Tongue

=kewal=
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 11:59:04 PM

but you need to know the address(es) of those you might want to communicate with - or a "backwater shared address".

If there would be any "forking" to be done - or modification to the main branch, I think it would be the inclusion of such a channel.

Interesting idea.  But, I really think most scenarios where it might be really useful might preclude its use.

But with some additional effort we might arrive at something disaster resilient.

*generator, solar, or manual crank powered laptop.
*bitmessage client with pre-defined emergency channels
*bitmessage spitting a stream out to a radio transmitter that broadcasts the blockchain via morse code.
*radio reception for same

Imagine such a setup - and someone travelling up or down the East Coast of the US (just as an example).  As they passed through different reception zones, they would merge blockchains, and act as a crypto-pony-express.  Smiley

If nothing else - I think I have a budding scenario for a sci-fi short story. Tongue

=kewal=

since you are just duplicating the same data at every node and broadcasting it to every other node you are connected too, it would naturally propagate across all networks so long as there was the occasional tunnel linking networks to their neighbors even if your node isnt aware of any networks outside of your immediate surroundings.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: