Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:51:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [HOWTO] flash your jalapeno to 8+ ghs  (Read 85137 times)
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 01:17:19 AM

is that really possible? I mean just put chips and they will work right away?
chips are not so high priced - and we already have all in place - if you could really do it it would be at least awesome )
At least one person has done it, you need to upgrade your power supply as well with 4 chips, not sure what hell will break loose with six.

The trick of course is soldering BGA; I have air tools, but have never quite done this. We shall see...

C

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
erk

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 01:22:04 AM

chips are not so high priced - and we already have all in place - if you could really do it it would be at least awesome )
At least one person has done it, you need to upgrade your power supply as well with 4 chips, not sure what hell will break loose with six.

The trick of course is soldering BGA; I have air tools, but have never quite done this. We shall see...

The problem you might get it the heatsink with the extra chips, I don't know if the Jalapeno heatsink is the same one as in the Little Single, investigate that before loading up the board. Also check if the regulators are the same.

Iv4z

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 11:03:13 PM

The problem you might get it the heatsink with the extra chips, I don't know if the Jalapeno heatsink is the same one as in the Little Single, investigate that before loading up the board. Also check if the regulators are the same.

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/dbtgallery.php?do=view_image&id=1408&gal=usergallery
vapourminer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3519

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 11:33:05 PM

my late model little single 25 ghs (came running @ 31 ghs right from the factory) has the aluminum HS and my early model jally 5 ghs (flashed to 8.3 ghs) has the heatpipe HS. go figure.

gonna swap em soon as I get the chance flash the little single..

so you can get away with 8 chips running near flat out and the aluminum HS with good airflow.

I would worry about cooling the rest of the components on the board more.
bcp19

Activity: 532

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 12:09:55 AM

my late model little single 25 ghs (came running @ 31 ghs right from the factory) has the aluminum HS and my early model jally 5 ghs (flashed to 8.3 ghs) has the heatpipe HS. go figure.

so you can get away with 8 chips running near flat out and the aluminum HS with good airflow.

I would worry about cooling the rest of the components on the board more.
In looking at my LS and Jalapeno, I don't you can swap the heat sinks... The Jala only has 2 screws holding the sink on while the LS has 4.

I do not suffer fools gladly... "Captain!  We're surrounded!"
I embrace my inner Kool-Aid.
vapourminer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 12:51:43 AM

In looking at my LS and Jalapeno, I don't you can swap the heat sinks... The Jala only has 2 screws holding the sink on while the LS has 4.

drag. so much for that idea.

oh well Ill just have to add additional airflow to make up for any extra heat if it turns out I can get more hashes from flashing it. got some server 120 mm fans that would do it.

this stuff runs in my basement so noise and aesthetics are not an issue.
lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 02:11:40 AM

drag. so much for that idea.

oh well Ill just have to add additional airflow to make up for any extra heat if it turns out I can get more hashes from flashing it. got some server 120 mm fans that would do it.

this stuff runs in my basement so noise and aesthetics are not an issue.
Flash it and you will blow the FETs.

C
vapourminer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 11:37:56 AM

Flash it and you will blow the FETs.

C

Ive been reading on that (great stuff youre doing with jallies btw!)

I would have crazy airflow if I did it. my ls is probably near its limit stock as it came from bfl (31.5 ghs, its a 25 ghs unit, 1.62% hw errors) so I dont think I could get much more.

what I would like to do is tune it better, like clock down marginal chips and boost hardier ones. keep the power draw as near the same as I can.

cgminers latest version says it will give nonce and hw error reports per chip now. might be possible to tune it pretty fine.

heres a question.. if a FET blows, does it take anything else with it? I would have no problem replacing FETs.
123orangebud

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 11:44:20 AM

Hey Guys,
i had some problems flashing a new Jala which arrived some days ago.
Is there anything new?

Best

BTC - 1PCHwLjxmw7CPrJ5vpFWjbwwPym64iweUZ
lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 12:39:02 PM

Ive been reading on that (great stuff youre doing with jallies btw!)

Ok, you're aware of everything. :-)

heres a question.. if a FET blows, does it take anything else with it? I would have no problem replacing FETs.
Depends. I have never gotten a toasted one to fix, but I am guessing that what happens is the FET shorts and the power supply fuse blows. Damage can be fixed by taking off the heat sinks, identifying the blown fet, pulling it, checking the 1 volt line for shorts, checking the remaining FETs, putting a new one or two on, replacing the fuse in the supply, and going for it.

The problem is the average yabo will stick a 1,000 watt 12 volt supply on the unit without a reasonable fuse to "replace the power supply". Powers up, feeds 100 amps into the short, and the usual hilarity follows. At that point the board is damaged, and one might have to check the oscillator circuits that power the FET drivers. They are probably blown up due to high 12 volt currents goig through the gate lines.

C
lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 12:40:05 PM

New things? I went back to speed 7 on my Jally even though speed 8 is "faster". Speed 9 causes a total performance collapse. Speed 7 is the best.

I think people with jallies that have only 8 engines running per chip flashed with speed 9.

C
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 05:31:15 PM
Last edit: December 02, 2013, 06:33:15 PM by HellDiverUK

I've just flashed my Jalapeno (1 Nov build date) with CK's 1.25 firmware, and also tried the 1.26 firmware.  Neither seem to work.  The 1.25 firmware runs but it's showing 500GH with 100% HW errors.  Shocked

1.26 it won't run on at all, just flashes it's LED quickly.  Cry

I'm running BFGMiner 3.6.0 on Minepeon, and also tried BFGMiner 3.8.0 on Windows - it just spews out errors.

Any ideas?

"BFL 0a: Ran out of buffer space for results, discarding extra data"
lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 08:53:19 PM

I've just flashed my Jalapeno (1 Nov build date) with CK's 1.25 firmware, and also tried the 1.26 firmware.  Neither seem to work.  The 1.25 firmware runs but it's showing 500GH with 100% HW errors.  Shocked

I'm running BFGMiner 3.6.0 on Minepeon, and also tried BFGMiner 3.8.0 on Windows - it just spews out errors.

Any ideas?

You must have newer chips. Flash with 1.2.9 with "Little_single" defined and the other "single" commented out.

C
not.you
Legendary

Activity: 1726
Merit: 1018

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 10:32:56 PM

Any ideas?

You must have newer chips. Flash with 1.2.9 with "Little_single" defined and the other "single" commented out.

C

Where would one do this commenting out and how?  I am familiar with the bundle of files used in the process but it looks like it is all written in C and I wouldn't know off hand where to mess with it and how to mess with it without breaking it.  I have an actual LS but I have either been unable to get the official release flashes to work (led4 flashes continuously) or they have hashed seriously wrong which is more or less what I here HellDiverUK saying about his Jalapeno.
lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 10:42:43 PM

Any ideas?

C

Where would one do this commenting out and how?  I am familiar with the bundle of files used in the process but it looks like it is all written in C and I wouldn't know off hand where to mess with it and how to mess with it without breaking it.  I have an actual LS but I have either been unable to get the official release flashes to work (led4 flashes continuously) or they have hashed seriously wrong which is more or less what I here HellDiverUK saying about his Jalapeno.

std_defs.h, line is:

Waiting for atmel here.... sigh

/*************** Product Model *********************/
//#define __PRODUCT_MODEL_JALAPENO__
#define    __PRODUCT_MODEL_LITTLE_SINGLE__
//#define __PRODUCT_MODEL_SINGLE__
//#define __PRODUCT_MODEL_MINIRIG__

Use that.

C
erk

Activity: 826

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 10:46:45 PM

Whats the difference between the old and newer chips?
ooxtcoo

Activity: 644
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 10:48:34 PM

i got my 2 jalapenos ordered in april 2013 today! Wink

one is hashing at 5.600 mh/s sometimes up to 6.000 mh/s (so not realy good)

but the other one hashes stable at 7.700 and sometimes 8.000 mh/s without any modefications.
i think that one got very good chips!

i have 2 asic chips from a death jalapeno, now iam playing with my mind to solder it into the bad one.
question is:

i expect the new jalapenos have the new chips but the death jalapeno may have old chips.
can i mix them?

did someone did this already?

lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 11:02:24 PM

Whats the difference between the old and newer chips?
Height and old chips can't use engine 0 in a parallel config.

New ones can.
lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 11:03:50 PM

but the other one hashes stable at 7.700 and sometimes 8.000 mh/s without any modefications.

i have 2 asic chips from a death jalapeno, now iam playing with my mind to solder it into the bad one.
question is:

i expect the new jalapenos have the new chips but the death jalapeno may have old chips.
can i mix them?

Yes, however removing the old chips might be even more complex and you will have to reball them. You should sell me the shot jally for $50-$60 or so that I can figure out why it is dead.
ooxtcoo

Activity: 644
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 11:17:27 PM

question is:

can i mix them?

Yes, however removing the old chips might be even more complex and you will have to reball them. You should sell me the shot jally for $50-$60 or so that I can figure out why it is dead.

i soldering bga's since 8 years in my shop, so no problem to reball them.

the jalapeno have a death motherboard.
i got it with hot ftdi chip.
the ftdi chip was getting so mutch hot that it burned itself into the pcb, after removing the ftdi chip it
lift of the first layer of the pcb.
i tryed to recover the lost tracks with the shematics, but after powering on, in some layers i seen it again
burned the tracks and shorted.

i changed the atmega, ftdi chip, dc dc converter, coil, checked the fets, but it no way...
the pcb is too mutch demaged for repair.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: