Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:24:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Noobie PSU Questions (6 gpu 1 psu)  (Read 290 times)
BitcoinsGreece (OP)

Activity: 164
Merit: 16

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 11:23:31 AM
Last edit: November 22, 2017, 11:16:00 PM by BitcoinsGreece

edited , thanks
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jmigdlc99

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2017, 12:06:36 PM

Hello PSU, nice to meet you.

Seriously tho, that PSU is on the expensive side. Have you considered getting a server PSU instead? I believe you can still do returns.

But in any case you still want to use it, you will be needing a 6x PCIE to 8x+6x PCIE splitter. Something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-E-6-pin-to-2x-6-2-pin-6-pin-8-pin-Power-Splitter-Cable-PCIE-PCI-Express-/151501045756

Been using them on my 12 GPU rig for quite a few months now and it works flawlessly.

0xacBBa937A57ecE1298B5d350f40C0Eb16eC5fA4B
BitcoinsGreece (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 12:16:12 PM

Hello PSU, nice to meet you.

Seriously tho, that PSU is on the expensive side. Have you considered getting a server PSU instead? I believe you can still do returns.

But in any case you still want to use it, you will be needing a 6x PCIE to 8x+6x PCIE splitter. Something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-E-6-pin-to-2x-6-2-pin-6-pin-8-pin-Power-Splitter-Cable-PCIE-PCI-Express-/151501045756

Been using them on my 12 GPU rig for quite a few months now and it works flawlessly.
1)Is that as risky as powering from sata cables ?
2)My psu is fully modular is there any way to have those kind of cables?
3)Ok so to my understanding i will :
i have 5 6pin slots.
3xRiser cable directly to psu
1x6pin spliter to 2x 6pin that will power 2xgpus
1x6pin spliter to 2x 6pin that will power gpu and ssd.

Is that all clear?The most of my concern is not to burn the cards because there are numerous amounts of people saying to never power the risers from the sata cable.Thank you.

edit: found this one locally but it is advertised as Delock Power Cable for PCI Express Card 6pin . Is this fine?

MATHReX

Activity: 861
Merit: 281

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 01:00:58 PM

You're trying to power 6x Vega GPUs which takes up to 300W per GPU.
So to be on the safe side you should think about Dual PSU setup as it will balance the load between the hardware and it'll cost less to own two mid capacity Watt PSU compared to one high one.
Moreover, I'm going to compile everything you need:
1) 6x 6 PIN Cables to power PCIe Powered Risers.
2) 6x Dual 8 PIN PCIe Power cable. One cable per GPU.
3) A 24 Pin MOB Cable, CPU Cable, SSD (If required).

Now, If you go with dual Corsair RM1000x it contains each and every component that I stated above and it is well equipped to handle Power hungry VEGA GPUs.

If using your PSU as a reference,
1) Use 6 VGA Inputs for 6 GPUs. One for each. One cable should have Two 8 Pin PCIe connectors for powering One Vega.
2) Now you have three VGA inputs left which can be used to Power six risers. As you stated the above cable in your last post. That will do just fine. Use one cable to power 2 Risers, thus accumulating all nine VGA inputs.
3) Rest of the connection is straightforward with CPU and such.

Note: Make a reading of Power output from your PSU and do underclock your GPUs for less power consumption to prevent it from overworking than its limit.
BitcoinsGreece (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 03:30:30 PM
Last edit: November 22, 2017, 07:46:36 PM by BitcoinsGreece

The above pic is a 6pin to 2x 8pin not the other way around.So to my understanding it's safe to power the risers from the gpu slots.
Ok i think i got it.
I will power all 6 risers from the 3 gpu slots , for that i will need 8 to 6pin convertor . Thank you all makes sense now.

Would it be more safe to plug 1 riser from each cable?
3 vga slots (8 pin to 6 pin cable)
3 6pin sata slots to the riser directly?

wacko
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 04:27:40 PM

1 ssd to the 6pin slot left
SSD consumes nothing, all it needs is just a connector, you can put it on any cable, it'll take a couple watts so not even worth mentioning. Also I think EVGA sells extra power cables for their PSUs as well, those might be a better option (higher quality) than generic adapters you'd buy elsewhere: https://www.evga.com/products/productlist.aspx?type=10&family=Power+Supplies&chipset=Power+Supply+Cable+Set+(Individually+Sleeved)
BitcoinsGreece (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 04:33:30 PM

1 ssd to the 6pin slot left
SSD consumes nothing, all it needs is just a connector, you can put it on any cable, it'll take a couple watts so not even worth mentioning. Also I think EVGA sells extra power cables for their PSUs as well, those might be a better option (higher quality) than generic adapters you'd buy elsewhere: https://www.evga.com/products/productlist.aspx?type=10&family=Power+Supplies&chipset=Power+Supply+Cable+Set+(Individually+Sleeved)
Yea i already knew that. The link u provided is not working i guess it's for the Usa and im in Eu.

The question if i can power(and how safe it is) my riser cables and ssd from the 8pin gpu slots still remains open (using 8 to 6 pin cables) .
wacko
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 04:43:01 PM

Yea i already knew that. The link u provided is not working i guess it's for the Usa and im in Eu.
"Power Supplies" => "Power Supply Cable Set" on the left pane.

The question if i can power my riser cables and ssd from the 8pin gpu slots still remains open (using 8 to 6 pin cables) .
8-pin connectors on the back of the PSU — labeled "VGA1-9"? How are you gonna get a sata connector off the cables that go inside those connectors? I'm not 100% sure, but I think sata power connectors have 15-pins and some of them are 12V, some are 3.3V and some are 5V. Those 8-pin connectors on the back of the PSU look like 12V only, just for powering PCI-E graphics adapters. I don't know how you're planning to power your sata drive with those. Or did you mean something else?
BitcoinsGreece (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 06:08:28 PM
Last edit: November 22, 2017, 06:21:31 PM by BitcoinsGreece

"Power Supplies" => "Power Supply Cable Set" on the left pane.

The question if i can power my riser cables and ssd from the 8pin gpu slots still remains open (using 8 to 6 pin cables) .
8-pin connectors on the back of the PSU — labeled "VGA1-9"? How are you gonna get a sata connector off the cables that go inside those connectors? I'm not 100% sure, but I think sata power connectors have 15-pins and some of them are 12V, some are 3.3V and some are 5V. Those 8-pin connectors on the back of the PSU look like 12V only, just for powering PCI-E graphics adapters. I don't know how you're planning to power your sata drive with those. Or did you mean something else?

I am just hella scared of my house getting on fire so i want to power as many riser cables directly from the psu but you are 101% right .
So how about
4xRiser cable to the sata 6pin slots
1xSSd to the sata 6pin slot that's left.

And 2 riser gpu cables from the gpu slots using 2x8 to 6 pin cable. Does this sound good and safe?

Does this mean not to power from the sata slots or using sata cables?
"It is never recommended to power GPU or risers with SATA connectors"

Sorry for noob questions
wacko
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 06:19:50 PM

And 3 riser gpu cables from the gpu slots using 8 to 6 pin cable. Does this sound good and safe?
It should work. Not the best way to do it (which would be to go with 2 PSUs — simpler 1kw units would do just fine), but still fine, I guess.

It might mean both, but depends on the PSU and cables. The thing about Sata power cables is that they usually have thinner wires and their connectors are also their weak spot. So molex are considered a bit better, and the pci-e 6/8-pin are better still. As for the connectors on the back of your PSU, I don't think there's any difference between any of those 5 connectors. Although they're marked differently (sata1-3, perif, perif/sata), I think they're either very similar or the same. You might want to google reviews of this PSU though and check how the internals are connected.
By the way, those 2 EPS connectors and cables (8-pin for CPU) are also at least as strong as the PCI-E 8-pin connectors/cables. So if you can find an adapter from 8-pin EPS (cpu power) to 8-pin PCI-e (graphics card power), then you'll get yourself an extra "free" 8-pin for your GPUs.
BitcoinsGreece (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 06:53:07 PM
Last edit: November 22, 2017, 07:47:43 PM by BitcoinsGreece

And 3 riser gpu cables from the gpu slots using 8 to 6 pin cable. Does this sound good and safe?
It should work. Not the best way to do it (which would be to go with 2 PSUs — simpler 1kw units would do just fine), but still fine, I guess.

It might mean both, but depends on the PSU and cables. The thing about Sata power cables is that they usually have thinner wires and their connectors are also their weak spot. So molex are considered a bit better, and the pci-e 6/8-pin are better still. As for the connectors on the back of your PSU, I don't think there's any difference between any of those 5 connectors. Although they're marked differently (sata1-3, perif, perif/sata), I think they're either very similar or the same. You might want to google reviews of this PSU though and check how the internals are connected.
By the way, those 2 EPS connectors and cables (8-pin for CPU) are also at least as strong as the PCI-E 8-pin connectors/cables. So if you can find an adapter from 8-pin EPS (cpu power) to 8-pin PCI-e (graphics card power), then you'll get yourself an extra "free" 8-pin for your GPUs.
I think i got it and the answer to my question is :
The above pic is a 6pin to 2x 8pin not the other way around.So to my understanding it's safe to power the risers from the gpu slots.
Ok i think i got it.
I will power all 6 risers from the 3 gpu slots , for that i will need 8 to 6pin convertor . Thank you all makes sense now.

Would it be more safe to plug 1 riser from each cable?
3 vga slots (8 pin to 6 pin cable)
3 6pin sata slots to the riser directly?

wacko
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 08:01:49 PM

I am confused on the last part , the risers are 6 pins and they gpu is getting power from it so how would a 8pin cpu to 8pin gpuu PCI-e help me?
You need 6*2=12 pci-e connectors to power the vega cards, and 6 separate cables to power 6 risers, so 18 connectors in total. There are different ways to achieve this, but the main principle is the same — the more high-quality connectors/cables you've got from your PSU the better (since it's easier to connect everything with more cables than with less). EVGA website says that you've got 9 * 8-pin pci-e connectors and 5 * 6-pin pci-e connectors. So I assume that since the back of the PSU has only 9 "vga" connectors, you've got 9 cables, 4 of which are 8-pin only, and 5 of which are 8-pin + 6-pin? If that's the case, then theoretically you could use some of those 6-pin pci-e connectors to power the risers. That, of course, will depend on the length of those. But even if there's not enough length to utilize both the 8-pin connector (for the card) and the 6-pin connector (for the riser) of a single cable, you could still "spend" one of these cables on a riser (or two risers), and use that EPS CPU cable with an adapter to power one of the cards. The point is that you'll just have an extra cable with pci-e connector that you can use however you see fit.

This PSU is just a wrong choice for your rig though, it's ok for multiple gtx 1080 and 1080 ti cards that have 8pin+6pin connectors on each card, but not for 8+8pin cards like your Vega's.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: