Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 05:26:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Monero with CPU  (Read 2135 times)
adamantasaurus (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 255

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 12:54:13 PM

Hey Guys Im interested in possibly mining monero with my cpu on a laptop. I'm currently mining zoin but I heard you can mine monero as well with a cpu. Is it still possible to mine it and also does anyone know where I can find a how to guide for mining it with windows 10?

Thanks
Branko

Activity: 2478
Merit: 318

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 01:06:08 PM

Hey Guys Im interested in possibly mining monero with my cpu on a laptop. I'm currently mining zoin but I heard you can mine monero as well with a cpu. Is it still possible to mine it and also does anyone know where I can find a how to guide for mining it with windows 10?

Thanks

If you have 8 core i7 laptop, you can mine about 20 cents a day, but you have to keep in mind cost of laptop repair, as
on average it'll die after about 9 days
wacko
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 01:07:55 PM

You omitted the only important thing in your question which is what CPU you have. There's no difference between mining with laptop CPUs or desktop/server CPUs other than the thermals (you're a lot more limited with the laptop in terms of cooling), so any guide written for CPU mining will apply to you as well. Download a miner (xmr-stak, for example), and point it to the pool — that's pretty much the whole "guide". Cheesy All the instructions (number of threads, enabling large pages etc) come with the miner.
btcgolong

Activity: 451
Merit: 269

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 01:09:04 PM

Thanks

You are most likely going to kill your laptop...it's not worth it. Build a "desktop" computer.
phuocduong

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 01:18:35 PM

cpu laptop not good, maybe use desktop
mostcrack

Activity: 548
Merit: 12

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 03:25:29 PM

It seems like you are torturing your laptop, very unfortunate if your laptop is used for mining activities. before you do so think first of the risks that you will face with your laptop.

██  ██████████████          1 x B i t . c o m     |     BIG 5     |          ██████████████  ██
►  5 LEAGUES      ►  5 BITCOIN
██                       75 WINNERS DRAWN MONTHLY                       ██
btcgolong

Activity: 451
Merit: 269

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 03:38:07 PM

Thanks

Sorry, I didn't go into more detail in my last post...the best bet is to build a budget desktop computer that you can add GPU's later. Is there a Microcenter near you? They have killer deals with rebates etc.

There is also the option of just buying the currency of your choice, but mining is fun and educational.
mrd_coin

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 03:42:27 PM

Continue mining zoin, because monero with your laptop is worthless and you'll kill it
wacko
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 03:55:54 PM

You are most likely going to kill your laptop...it's not worth it.
Continue mining zoin, because monero with your laptop is worthless and you'll kill it
How many of you have actually seen "killed" by mining laptops? Smiley Although it's obviously far from optimal setup for mining, how the hell do you kill a laptop with it? When the temperature rises above certain point the CPU will just start throttling. If it's still not enough and the temperatures are too high it'll just shutdown. It's not 1999 anymore, you don't just "kill" hardware with overheating. If you mine with your laptop long enough, your thermal paste and thermal pads will need to be replaced a lot sooner than from normal use, and your fans might eventually need to be replaced, but you still won't kill your laptop and it's very similar to regular mining rigs where fans also die, especially on cheaper GPUs with sleeve bearing fans (= gigabyte amd rx series).
kuroman

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 03:57:08 PM

Thanks

Yes you can mine Monero with  your CPU but the issue is that in a laptop your cpu will be running at around 90°C most of the time and will be throttling, which will cause after a while your laptop to break down, being it either the power phases that would run over 120° for an extended of time or your CPU it self.

So my suggestion is that you don't use your laptop and look for a desktop, it's not worth being it in terms of income a few cents that will not offset the price of electricity and putting your laptop under stress.

If you have no other choices and you want to learn about CPU mining, You need to see if you have a fan controller and you can control your laptop fan speed with software such as SpeedFan to ramp up your fan speed high enough and to monitor the temperature. Also if your laptop is off warranty and you are used to open it, try to change the TIM with a better one and get more air to the components as well.

How many of you have actually seen "killed" by mining laptops? Smiley Although it's obviously far from optimal setup for mining, how the hell do you kill a laptop with it? When the temperature rises above certain point the CPU will just start throttling. If it's still not enough and the temperatures are too high it'll just shutdown. It's not 1999 anymore, you don't just "kill" hardware with overheating. If you mine with your laptop long enough, your thermal paste and thermal pads will need to be replaced a lot sooner than from normal use, and your fans might eventually need to be replaced, but you still won't kill your laptop and it's very similar to regular mining rigs where fans also die, especially on cheaper GPUs with sleeve bearing fans (= gigabyte amd rx series).

I have a couple of laptop failling on me not from mining but from numerical simulation such as CFD or thermomecanical simulation, leaving my laptop doing the calculation for a couple of days, resulated after a couple months of dead laptops each time, that's when I coincided to never invest in a highend laptop, and got my self a good desktop and an ultrabook so I do the simulation on the desktop and export the result to the laptop for the sake of presentations for example
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 12:54:34 AM

You are most likely going to kill your laptop...it's not worth it.
How many of you have actually seen "killed" by mining laptops? Smiley Although it's obviously far from optimal setup for mining, how the hell do you kill a laptop with it?

Laptops WILL overheat and die if you stress them too much - I HAVE had to repair some that folks admitted running stuff like the DNet client on (which is a cryptographic-type program that is VERY similar to many mining algorithms in how it stresses a CPU) or Prime95.

Thermal throttling has limits, and most laptops PUSH those limits very hard to achieve the level of performance they DO manage to get to.

Also, it's not always the CPU ITSELF that dies - it's often the motherboard because parts on IT are overheating due to excessive high-stress workload - like the power conversion circuitry.

Not all RX series cards use cheap sleeve bearing fans (and not even all Gigabyte cards do) - reference Sapphire and the Gigabyte "Aorus" line - though far too many do so.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
mittooss

Activity: 154
Merit: 10

DEm1CKDTViM1y9YmEcBaktNLWVx8rwuQUm

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 01:16:31 AM

You can do minig on your laptop, but the thing is that the profit will be lesser as compared to other mining devices.
Suslived

Activity: 252
Merit: 13

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 01:41:55 AM

Take the advise of the previous posters. Never mine with a laptop unless you want to overheat and destroy it.

I had to learn this the hard way. Started mining 24/7 on my intel i3 laptop last April but by June it would no longer boot. Computer service center said that the CPU was fried and beyond repair.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
TheHas

Activity: 616
Merit: 167

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 01:59:55 AM

Mining on a laptop would get so hot, and (probably) fry it at some stage! If you're mainly interested in learning about mining and how to set it up before getting a full rig, then go for it, but turn it off after a couple minutes!

I am interested in a similar question though - if you have a mining rig, which runs on a cheap pentium 4 type arrangement, could you (profitably) mine ether on the gpu's and monero on the cpu? Or would the electricity costs and strain on the low range cpu outweigh the 10 cents extra or whatever it is you'll get from mining.
yugyug

Activity: 616
Merit: 256

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 03:47:16 AM

It is not advisable to mine Monero on laptop as it may put your CPU into death and resting place and also it is not profitable to mine on a single CPU laptop but for educational and reference purpose it might do the work but making it as a work horse may worsen your laptop as it may generate more heat, even laptop cooling  device might not help.
wacko
Legendary

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 04:19:37 AM

I am interested in a similar question though - if you have a mining rig, which runs on a cheap pentium 4 type arrangement, could you (profitably) mine ether on the gpu's and monero on the cpu? Or would the electricity costs and strain on the low range cpu outweigh the 10 cents extra or whatever it is you'll get from mining.
You won't get anything from mining monero on Pentium 4. It's so old I'm not even sure it'll even work for xmr mining. But even if it will, you'll spend a lot more on electricity than you'll get in coins. The earliest intel CPUs I would consider for xmr mining are the nehalem gen processors, preferably the 6-core 12mb l3 CPUs. They're quite power hungry, but at least they'll be able to mine something. Wouldn't even bother with the earlier Core 2 and Netburst generations, wouldn't actually bother with anything without AES-NI support.
bitmagic1984

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 12:18:51 PM

At least which CPU we need to mine Monero ?
hheight

Activity: 392
Merit: 102

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 12:31:44 PM

Let me google it for you Smiley https://www.cryptocompare.com/mining/guides/how-to-mine-monero/
"Part 1 - CPU Mining" - this is what you were looking for
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 12:17:41 PM

You won't get anything from mining monero on Pentium 4. It's so old I'm not even sure it'll even work for xmr mining

Even with MY curiosity, I'm not going to waste time trying to get mining running on my old "now a media center" P4-2000 based machine.
 Doesn't help that it's running 2k, and the oldest OS I know of that supports a Monero miner at ALL is XP.

About the only way I can think of that you could "mine" on a Pentium 4 is to run the Dnet RC5-72 client via the MooWrapper project on BOINC and earn a microscopic amount of GridCoin - but you will NOT earn enough to pay for the electric usage or even close.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Ranger9202

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 03:31:36 PM

Thanks

I'm interested in this as well, not specifically Monero, but any altcoint that can bring a solid profit. Since im new in the game, im having a hard time mining anything...
I have i7 7700k, and I got COOLER MASTER 212 LED Turbo Dual Fan few days ago to keep it cool.  I get about 75h\s on btcheat  on 70% load & 60C temp, and some good profits there as well, but I would like to get some crypto as well...Any ideas?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: