Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 09:20:42 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Monero with CPU  (Read 2138 times)
wacko
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 03:35:47 PM

I'm interested in this as well, not specifically Monero, but any altcoint that can bring a solid profit. Since im new in the game, im having a hard time mining anything...
I have i7 7700k, and I got COOLER MASTER 212 LED Turbo Dual Fan few days ago to keep it cool.  I get about 75h\s on btcheat  on 70% load & 60C temp, and some good profits there as well, but I would like to get some crypto as well...Any ideas?
7700k should be doing ~ 300 H/s on cryptonight (XMR, ETN). Even more if overclocked.
tauceramica

Activity: 203
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 03:36:58 PM

You are most likely going to kill your laptop...it's not worth it.
Continue mining zoin, because monero with your laptop is worthless and you'll kill it
How many of you have actually seen "killed" by mining laptops? Smiley Although it's obviously far from optimal setup for mining, how the hell do you kill a laptop with it? When the temperature rises above certain point the CPU will just start throttling. If it's still not enough and the temperatures are too high it'll just shutdown. It's not 1999 anymore, you don't just "kill" hardware with overheating. If you mine with your laptop long enough, your thermal paste and thermal pads will need to be replaced a lot sooner than from normal use, and your fans might eventually need to be replaced, but you still won't kill your laptop and it's very similar to regular mining rigs where fans also die, especially on cheaper GPUs with sleeve bearing fans (= gigabyte amd rx series).

It's very common, I lost one laptop with the same thing. Tried mining for nothing actually, 3 weeks after it, the mainboard of the laptop was burned. Then It costed me abour $250. The amount I mined was only $12. Can you imagine this?

Never try to mine Monero with CPU.
wacko
Legendary

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 03:57:39 PM

It's very common, I lost one laptop with the same thing. Tried mining for nothing actually, 3 weeks after it, the mainboard of the laptop was burned. Then It costed me abour $250. The amount I mined was only $12. Can you imagine this?
Just because you've managed to burn 1 laptop doesn't make it a "very common" thing. Lots and lots of laptops run very hot for years and survive just fine. I'm not advocating for mining on laptops of course, it's not a very good idea in general, but people that say how mining will kill your laptop 100% are very similar to people that say mining will kill your desktop. You know, it's actually a very common thing — people that don't know much or anything about mining saying how it kills graphics cards very fast. Smiley While in fact it does kill them sometimes, it's not "very common", especially if done right.

Something like cryptonight doesn't tax the CPU that much, and if the laptop has decent cooling and the ambient temp is not too high — it can be done. Would I recommend it as a way to make money? No. But if someone already has a laptop and wants to experiment — go ahead. Just know your cooler's limitations and watch out for temps (exactly the same principle applies to mining on desktop/server hardware). If the laptop is not complete crap then it is designed to sustain prolonged 100% cpu loads. You know, a lot of professionals use laptops to run video encoding / 3d rendering / compiling tasks.. not everything is done on workstations, you regularly need to do these things when you're on the go as well. It's hours and hours at 100%. And people do this for years.
SlimShadyMmp

Activity: 1470
Merit: 103

COMBO 2.0

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2017, 04:08:41 PM

Dont just mine if you dont have a good GPU man because you will waste alot of days to make like 200cents for a 890dollars laptop which can fry out and die and then your are dead too

Ventureum

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 04:33:49 PM

It is so funny that people are talking about this topic at all.

Ventureum – Milestone-Driven Community-Governed Crowdfunding Protocol  |   Twitter  |   Facebook
Ranger9202

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 04:57:40 PM

I'm interested in this as well, not specifically Monero, but any altcoint that can bring a solid profit. Since im new in the game, im having a hard time mining anything...
I have i7 7700k, and I got COOLER MASTER 212 LED Turbo Dual Fan few days ago to keep it cool.  I get about 75h\s on btcheat  on 70% load & 60C temp, and some good profits there as well, but I would like to get some crypto as well...Any ideas?
7700k should be doing ~ 300 H/s on cryptonight (XMR, ETN). Even more if overclocked.

I tried mining ETN yesterday, and got 125 h/s max on it...maybe I'm doing something wrong?  Huh Huh
wacko
Legendary

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 05:05:59 PM

I tried mining ETN yesterday, and got 125 h/s max on it...maybe I'm doing something wrong?  Huh Huh
You're using the wrong miner I guess. I'm mining with xmr-stak-cpu. Claymore's cryptonote miner should be similar in terms of hashrate as well.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 04:30:29 AM

300 hash seems kinda sad for a high-end high-cost CPU like a I7 7700 - I get THAT much out of my much lower cost FX-8320e CPUs....

300-310 to be picky - and that's NOT overclocked at all (not sure if it does the boost clock thing when mining XMR though).

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
wacko
Legendary

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 01:38:16 PM

300 hash seems kinda sad for a high-end high-cost CPU like a I7 7700 - I get THAT much out of my much lower cost FX-8320e CPUs....

300-310 to be picky - and that's NOT overclocked at all (not sure if it does the boost clock thing when mining XMR though).
7700k is the best gaming CPU money can buy, at least it used to be before intel released 8700k. Mining is kind of a side job for it, if you already have it in your desktop then why not mine with it when the system isn't used. Of course buying 7700k just to mine monero is ridiculous and no one does it. Smiley FX-8320e looks pretty good for this, seems like amd has been dropping the price for a while and they're only ~$90 now, a reasonable choice for some systems (and they also support ecc unbuffered ram, also a plus).
winspiral
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1026

Free WSPU2 Token or real dollars

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2017, 01:45:08 PM

Here you can mine XMR in a funny way.

http://u2cloudmining.winspiral.net/monero_mining.php

You work in a team and in the team you take part in contests.
Soon you will be able to trade your minershares for real cash.

You can set your CPU level...so if you are afraid about...set "low"

bountyjunkie

Activity: 168
Merit: 10

WEICROWD.COM - ICO Tech, Funding & Exchange

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2017, 01:49:19 PM

May be if some one can list the best system config-mining s/w and corresponding per day earning. It will help greatly.

tenebriscaelum

Activity: 462
Merit: 11

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 02:30:36 PM

Is possible but you would need to have a repair for your laptop for mining 24/7. Even if you would have the new ROG Strix GL702ZC by Asus with an MSRP of $1499 it will be destroyed within weeks of mining 24/7 along with using the RX 580 inside it. So in short you can mine using a CPU or a laptop but it is not worth it because it will take a long time for you to mine any tokens/coins and only the your electricity will go up.

I suggest that if you have $600 to $800 go buy a dedicated rig if you want to mine just do have some consideration of your electricity because in some area it really cost so much so it will not be profitable.
evoqon

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 02:55:48 PM

The most easier monero mining is to start with minergate, there is guide in the downloads and yet they have GUI interface miner for windows 10 too. Check it at https://minergate.com
adamantasaurus (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 255

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 03:09:03 PM

wow this thread really took off since I last checked it haha Smiley

Thanks for all the advice I don't think I'm going to mine monero with my laptop for right now. Although I do have some old shitty laptops that I might mine it with Smiley Just wondering does mining zoin wear out your cpu like monero could possibly do?
wacko
Legendary

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 03:22:04 PM

Thanks for all the advice I don't think I'm going to mine monero with my laptop for right now. Although I do have some old shitty laptops that I might mine it with Smiley Just wondering does mining zoin wear out your cpu like monero could possibly do?
Coins don't wear out CPUs, high temperatures do. Run an xmr miner and check the temps you're getting. Run zoin miner and check the temps. Compare. Smiley
winspiral
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1026

Free WSPU2 Token or real dollars

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2017, 03:25:19 PM

you can try,but I believe you will mine so much than almost nothing with your new laptop or  old laptop.

For people like you I have programmed a system you can mine strageticaly and earn...
Look the winner on my minero mining page...you will see that some people have mine strategicaly (for les then $0.01 in XMR) but by me have earned more then $0.10

This is the strategic side of the winspiral's XMR mining.
I do not say it is easy...I just say it is strategic for the ones who have a laptop  Smiley
Often people do not agree with me when I talk about earning a little and having fun...
they say fun does not exist in earning...
Believe me...i have members who are interested in the earning with fun and not in the amount only.

beachbummer

Activity: 251
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 03:50:34 PM

I am interested in a similar question though - if you have a mining rig, which runs on a cheap pentium 4 type arrangement, could you (profitably) mine ether on the gpu's and monero on the cpu? Or would the electricity costs and strain on the low range cpu outweigh the 10 cents extra or whatever it is you'll get from mining.
You won't get anything from mining monero on Pentium 4. It's so old I'm not even sure it'll even work for xmr mining

Even with MY curiosity, I'm not going to waste time trying to get mining running on my old "now a media center" P4-2000 based machine.
 Doesn't help that it's running 2k, and the oldest OS I know of that supports a Monero miner at ALL is XP.

About the only way I can think of that you could "mine" on a Pentium 4 is to run the Dnet RC5-72 client via the MooWrapper project on BOINC and earn a microscopic amount of GridCoin - but you will NOT earn enough to pay for the electric usage or even close.

I'm a big fan of mining for GridCoins while my notebooks are idle. Even if the coins don't earn much, at least science gets to benefit as well!
Guvn0r

Activity: 647
Merit: 274

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 04:11:49 PM

You can try Verium : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1540023.0

btcheat is a scam, don't waste your CPU cycles on that site..

Verium is by far the best CPU-mineable coin right now (in my opinion)....i.e. if you want to just mine some and hold it....

If you are looking to make some BTC, try nicehash miner..that ll be the best option if you are looking for immediate profit.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 07:58:24 PM

7700k is the best gaming CPU money can buy, at least it used to be before intel released 8700k. Mining is kind of a side job for it, if you already have it in your desktop then why not mine with it when the system isn't used.

No reason - I'm not saying DON'T do it, I'm just impressed it isn't any BETTER at it.

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 07:59:06 PM

About the only way I can think of that you could "mine" on a Pentium 4 is to run the Dnet RC5-72 client via the MooWrapper project on BOINC and earn a microscopic amount of GridCoin - but you will NOT earn enough to pay for the electric usage or even close.

I'm a big fan of mining for GridCoins while my notebooks are idle. Even if the coins don't earn much, at least science gets to benefit as well!

I have only one thing to say about GridCoin.

MOO!

9-)

Actually, that's not entirely true - I do have a few CPUs working YOYO for the time being.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: