Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:41:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: europe bail in official policy now  (Read 2166 times)
600watt (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 07:42:33 AM

wow. the european politicians & banksters officially announced that when a bank is in trouble (and A LOT of european banks are indeed) shareholders and customers have to pay for it.

http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/soziales/eu-finanzminister-einigen-sich-auf-regeln-fuer-pleitebanken-a-908069.html

so we have a potential for a european-wide cyprus scenario.  Shocked

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 08:08:21 AM

wow. the european politicians & banksters officially announced that when a bank is in trouble (and A LOT of european banks are indeed) shareholders and customers have to pay for it.

http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/soziales/eu-finanzminister-einigen-sich-auf-regeln-fuer-pleitebanken-a-908069.html

Don't keep cash in your accounts past the insured limit.  If you are doing this, you are voluntarily acting as an at risk creditor.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 08:16:20 AM

I've said it once and will repeat: there's no fairer way to deal with a bank failure than a bail-in:

• Current bank owners (shareholders) should lose everything.
  • Creditors should lose the necessary amount to save the bank, starting by those who accepted more risks (like bondholders) until those who did not accept much risk (depositors). Ideally, depositors should not lose anything or very little - but if the hole was too huge, they might end up with a significant cut.
  • These same creditors should be rewarded with ownership of the bank. For example, if you lost 10K, and in total 10G were needed to save the bank, you now must own a millionth part of the bank in shares.

I can see no way to make it fairer than this. Tax victims should not have to spend a dime - that's externalizing a cost to people that had nothing to do it (imposed negative externality, moral hazard, private profit public losses etc). Only those involved with the failed bank should. Federal/national insurances of bank deposits are unfair by definition and should never have been created in the first place.
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 08:17:50 AM

cue rocket takeoff pic thread

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 08:19:06 AM

Don't keep cash in your accounts past the insured limit.  If you are doing this, you are voluntarily acting as an at risk creditor.

Like the insurance limit means something... Sure, better not having more than the insured limit, is another layer of (fragile) protection, but still the only sound hedge against the financial system is BTC

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 08:20:54 AM

I've said it once and will repeat: there's no fairer way to deal with a bank failure than a bail-in:

• Creditors should lose the necessary amount to save the bank, starting by those who accepted more risks (like bondholders) until those who did not accept much risk (depositors). Ideally, depositors should not lose anything or very little - but if the hole was too huge, they might end up with a significant cut.
  • These same creditors should be rewarded with ownership of the bank. For example, if you lost 10K, and in total 10G were needed to save the bank, you now must own a millionth part of the bank in shares.

I can see no way to make it fairer than this. Tax victims should not have to spend a dime - that's externalizing a cost to people that had nothing to do it (imposed negative externality, moral hazard, private profit public losses etc). Only those involved with the failed bank should. Federal/national insurances of bank deposits are unfair by definition and should never have been created in the first place.

Insurance was okay when banks had a very limited set of things they were allowed to do.  Now that they act as broker/dealers you are absolutely right.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
myself
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

chaos is fun...…damental :)

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 08:29:59 AM

english link plz

edit: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/27/us-eu-banks-idUSBRE95Q02L20130627

Los desesperados publican que lo inventó el rey que rabió, porque todo son en el rabias y mas rabias, disgustos y mas disgustos, pezares y mas pezares; si el que compra algunas partidas vé que baxan, rabia de haver comprado; si suben, rabia de que no compró mas; si compra, suben, vende, gana y buelan aun á mas alto precio del que ha vendido; rabia de que vendió por menor precio: si no compra ni vende y ván subiendo, rabia de que haviendo tenido impulsos de comprar, no llegó á lograr los impulsos; si van baxando, rabia de que, haviendo tenido amagos de vender, no se resolvió á gozar los amagos; si le dan algun consejo y acierta, rabia de que no se lo dieron antes; si yerra, rabia de que se lo dieron; con que todo son inquietudes, todo arrepentimientos, tododelirios, luchando siempre lo insufrible con lo feliz, lo indomito con lo tranquilo y lo rabioso con lo deleytable.
domob
Legendary

Activity: 1135
Merit: 1161

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 08:39:55 AM

I completely agree here!  (But I do not agree with how it was done in Cyprus with the banks and payment systems effectively closed down without warning for weeks, because I believe it is the responsibility of a government to ensure proper functioning in the society.  And the payment system is part of that, a very important one, too.)

I read some time ago (I think it was the Bitcoin Magazine) about a comparison between risky/speculative banking and Martingale gambling.  Their speculation goes well most of the time and so they earn big time (and also make themselves a name as a "good investor"), but when it fails big time, they don't have to pay the price because it is done by the tax payers.  Hence an ideal system for the gamblers, Martingale finally working.

Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/
Donations: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS | GPG 0xA7330737
EuroTrash

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 08:59:53 AM

+1

But I believe that what is really going to happen is that shareholders will be saved and depositors will be shafted.
Then in a couple years and a merger later the bank reopens with a new name.

<=== INSERT SMART SIGNATURE HERE ===>
nicolazza

Activity: 240
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 09:07:29 AM

I love this news  Grin
Europe's shit money will fail.
myself
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 09:25:48 AM

I love this news  Grin
not really

Los desesperados publican que lo inventó el rey que rabió, porque todo son en el rabias y mas rabias, disgustos y mas disgustos, pezares y mas pezares; si el que compra algunas partidas vé que baxan, rabia de haver comprado; si suben, rabia de que no compró mas; si compra, suben, vende, gana y buelan aun á mas alto precio del que ha vendido; rabia de que vendió por menor precio: si no compra ni vende y ván subiendo, rabia de que haviendo tenido impulsos de comprar, no llegó á lograr los impulsos; si van baxando, rabia de que, haviendo tenido amagos de vender, no se resolvió á gozar los amagos; si le dan algun consejo y acierta, rabia de que no se lo dieron antes; si yerra, rabia de que se lo dieron; con que todo son inquietudes, todo arrepentimientos, tododelirios, luchando siempre lo insufrible con lo feliz, lo indomito con lo tranquilo y lo rabioso con lo deleytable.
myself
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 09:32:18 AM

I love this news  Grin
not really
All shit money will fail but at least some of Europe knows what good money is:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=244534
be ready to wait 20 years to even get a chance for a change

Book

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 09:36:11 AM

Does this include UK banks? I might pull some of my money out.
oleganza

Activity: 200
Merit: 104

Software design and user experience.

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 02:57:32 PM

It would be all well and good if you was free to create your own bank and your own currency to those who don't want to play that game. But the rules are such that you cannot do that. So if you need banking (and many people and businesses simply cannot work with paper cash for many reasons), you have to bear all the risks that these people create.

I have nothing against fractional reserve banking or "depositors bear the risk" etc. if only this was absolutely voluntary. But I bet if it was, very few people would be interested in that deal. After all, private ponzi schemes are "bad" only because of fraudulent investment promises, not because of the money distribution scheme. Call it honestly a lottery, don't force people to join and play as long as you wish.

Bitcoin analytics: blog.oleganza.com / 1TipsuQ7CSqfQsjA9KU5jarSB1AnrVLLo
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 03:01:12 PM

I didn't get your point, oleganza.

You noted some injustices that are practiced world wide. But how does that change what I said?

Forcing taxvictims to pay for a bank rescue will always be less fair than what I wrote. Banking being a fucked up industry or not.
coinft

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 03:32:24 PM

I agree principally, with caveats.

Insurances may well be fair if payed for by taxes or otherwise.

And to be fair, especially if depositors lose something, there need to be criminal investigations and convictions for letting it develop that far. In boom times high management salaries are always explained with responsibility and personal risk. In bad times the responsibility vanishes instantly, but not the perceived right to high bonus payments. Handle them like small company owners is all I ask for. Clawbacks for years past should be considered too. Yes that's meddling in contracts, but so is cutting deposits.
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 07:07:43 PM

Agreed, I for one didn't understand why what I have been told is normal bankruptcy law (first the shareholder loses his money, then bondholders, then depositors) was not used in previous bank-ruptcies.  It's ridiculous that they have only implemented this now.  
Tal1m0n

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 02:33:43 AM

If the USD were to fail today then I believe bitcoin would probably be wiped out. But if it has a chance to grow further and be recognized on it's own - maybe in another year or two will be enough time for btc to decouple from the American currency and reach main stream, then it might actually be what causes the crash to happen, while bitcoin lives on as it's own beast.

In case of economic collapse people would probably prefer a digital currency that no corrupt Government could control.

In case of societies collapse due to WW3 then Gold and Silver would probably be more useful, unless digital currencies had a decade or more to integrete with their spending habits. In the short term future complete loss of internet structure is unlikely, as "Mesh Nets" and other technologies are becoming more popular. Thanks to Google and other companies, looking for very cheap solutions for deploying internet in places like Africa and remote parts of the world. The internet might get knocked offline in the beginning but we would be able to rebuild it.

And actually the original purpose of the internet, why it was developed by the Government after the Cold War in case of nuclear attack so societies could continue to communicate.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 05:08:34 AM

If the USD were to fail today then I believe bitcoin would probably be wiped out. But if it has a chance to grow further and be recognized on it's own - maybe in another year or two will be enough time for btc to decouple from the American currency and reach main stream, then it might actually be what causes the crash to happen, while bitcoin lives on as it's own beast.

In case of economic collapse people would probably prefer a digital currency that no corrupt Government could control.

In case of societies collapse due to WW3 then Gold and Silver would probably be more useful, unless digital currencies had a decade or more to integrete with their spending habits. In the short term future complete loss of internet structure is unlikely, as "Mesh Nets" and other technologies are becoming more popular. Thanks to Google and other companies, looking for very cheap solutions for deploying internet in places like Africa and remote parts of the world. The internet might get knocked offline in the beginning but we would be able to rebuild it.

And actually the original purpose of the internet, why it was developed by the Government after the Cold War in case of nuclear attack so societies could continue to communicate.

Very small chance of a large scale conflict due to nuclear weapons, there is no winner for a nuclear war. So more likely the war will be on the currency and financial front, each country tries to devaluate its currency to force others pay for their debt, eventually all the currencies were hurt badly during a currency war, and bitcoin stands out

edmundedgar

Activity: 352
Merit: 250

https://www.realitykeys.com

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 05:34:25 AM

Agreed, I for one didn't understand why what I have been told is normal bankruptcy law (first the shareholder loses his money, then bondholders, then depositors) was not used in previous bank-ruptcies.  It's ridiculous that they have only implemented this now.  

Basically governments are scared of contagion. If you see one bank go down, you run on another one, and that goes bad too. (Probably also some corruption, because people who would lose out are good at influencing the government.)

I think a lot of people here have got the meaning of this backwards. When governments offer full bail-outs with taxpayers's money, it's because they think all the banks are very shaky, and they don't dare let one of them fail in case the rest of them topple, too. What's happening now is that the European banks are gradually getting more stable, so governments are feeling confident enough to try to reassert the original principles of how bank failures were always _supposed_ to work.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: