Bitcoin Forum
October 08, 2024, 04:11:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 28.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't Figure Out How to Start Mining LTC  (Read 1316 times)
williamthemac (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 01:25:46 PM

Okay, so I have a 7 GPU setup. I got my wallets both synchronized, but I can't figure out how to get CG-miner to actually mine.

I registered for Burnside's Pool, and I'm reading through their Getting Started page: http://ltc.kattare.com/gettingstarted.php

I extracted my CG Miner files to the Litecoin directory. I input the information provided on the above listed page into the notepad file and saved it as cfg.json and put in the CG Miner directory (not sure if I'm supposed to do that for GPU? But, I used the following info:

ATI Radeon 5000/6000/7000 Series Users - STRATUM with the cgminer GPU Miner

Track down and install cgminer 2.11.4 or higher.
Run it with: (this is quoted from linux)
cgminer --auto-fan --auto-gpu --scrypt \
   -o stratum+tcp://ltc-stratum.kattare.com:3333 \
   -u YOUR_USERNAME.YOUR_WORKER_SUFFIX \
   -p YOUR_WORKER_PASSWORD \
   -I 11 -g 1 -w 256)

Anyway, then I click the CG Miner application and a little black box comes up. It asks for a URL, so I provide the following:

API URL:   http://ltc.kattare.com/api.php?api_key=82a0b0ba2f1bf1fc2150410644a3ec2b57d44f5950d0db2dbaf251b14b5a37e0

Then it asks for my username, and I provide what I registered with (it's the same as my worker name)

Then it asks for password, and I provide it (it's also the same as my worker password)

I click hit "Enter" and the box disappears, and I'm left wondering what in the hell else I'm supposed to do.

Can anybody help? Huh
Damnsammit

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 01:29:18 PM

Try making a batch file...

Or open up command prompt and typing in

cgminer --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://ltc-stratum.kattare.com:3333 -u YOUR_USERNAME.YOUR_WORKER_SUFFIX -p YOUR_WORKER_PASSWORD

You can play around with the intensity, thread concurrency, etc, after you get a good connection to the pool.  Have you successfully mined anything yet?  I found that Bitcoin mining was much easier (with GUIminer) than getting started with Litecoin.  

Oh, and you don't need that config.json file... that is for CPU mining which is useless when you have 7 GPUs.
Eli0t

Activity: 252

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 01:30:52 PM

also dont share your api key (generate a new one)

LTC:  LKpJf3uk7KsHU73kxq8iFJrP1AAKN7Yni7  DGC:  DKXGvEbj3Rwgrm2QQbRyNPDDZDYoq4Y44d  XPM:  AWV5AKfLFyoBaMjg9C77rGUBhuFxz5DGGL
williamthemac (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 03:01:36 PM

cgminer --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://ltc-stratum.kattare.com:3333 -u YOUR_USERNAME.YOUR_WORKER_SUFFIX -p YOUR_WORKER_PASSWORD

You can play around with the intensity, thread concurrency, etc, after you get a good connection to the pool.  Have you successfully mined anything yet?  I found that Bitcoin mining was much easier (with GUIminer) than getting started with Litecoin.  

Oh, and you don't need that config.json file... that is for CPU mining which is useless when you have 7 GPUs.

Thanks -- but what is a batch file? Also, I don't know how to open a command line -- do you mean trying to type that into command prompt in Windows? Or do you mean to type that into CG-Miner, I did both and nothing happens. Also, I haven't mined anything yet,because I can't figure this out.
Damnsammit

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 03:05:55 PM

Thanks -- but what is a batch file? Also, I don't know how to open a command line -- do you mean trying to type that into command prompt in Windows? Or do you mean to type that into CG-Miner, I did both and nothing happens. Also, I haven't mined anything yet,because I can't figure this out.

move the cg-miner software to c:\cgminer\ by dropping the folder icon into the "C drive: local harddisk" icon.

click the windows button, bottom left.

type in "command" and press enter.

type "cd\cgminer\" and press enter.

type "cgminer --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://ltc-stratum.kattare.com:3333 -u YOUR_USERNAME.YOUR_WORKER_SUFFIX -p YOUR_WORKER_PASSWORD" and press enter.

if this works, then open up notepad, make a text file named "ltc.txt" and put "cgminer --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://ltc-stratum.kattare.com:3333 -u YOUR_USERNAME.YOUR_WORKER_SUFFIX -p YOUR_WORKER_PASSWORD" in there.  Save it. 

Go back to the command prompt.

type "rename ltc.txt ltc.bat" and press enter.

return to the directory in Windows.

right click on ltc.bat and click edit.  You can adjust options - check out readme.txt first - from the batch and then just double click it anytime you want to begin mining...

let me know if that helps

williamthemac (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 03:18:53 PM

move the cg-miner software to c:\cgminer\ by dropping the folder icon into the "C drive: local harddisk" icon.

type "cgminer --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://ltc-stratum.kattare.com:3333 -u YOUR_USERNAME.YOUR_WORKER_SUFFIX -p YOUR_WORKER_PASSWORD" and press enter.

if this works, then open up notepad, make a text file named "ltc.txt" and put "cgminer --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://ltc-stratum.kattare.com:3333 -u YOUR_USERNAME.YOUR_WORKER_SUFFIX -p YOUR_WORKER_PASSWORD" in there.  Save it. 

right click on ltc.bat and click edit.  You can adjust options - check out readme.txt first - from the batch and then just double click it anytime you want to begin mining...

Grr...well I droppedthe cgminer folder into C:, opened the command prompt and tried the command, and it says it's an invalid command. I tried dropping it into C:/users/rig1 as well, and it didn't work
Singlebyte

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 03:28:06 PM

If your cgminer shuts down that is an indication your drivers are not set up properly.
Damnsammit

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 03:31:21 PM

I'm working on a website to help beginners with mining and litecoins, steering away from bitcoin because of the influx of ASICs, I'll be putting up a tutorial soon of how to get started with batch files and command line.  Apparently a lot of people who are proficient with Windows have a hard time with this... a few friends from work are just having a terrible time getting started so I am making this mainly to help them out.

Hopefully I can help you out in the process.  Working on getting a beta site done by the weekend. 

Grr...well I droppedthe cgminer folder into C:, opened the command prompt and tried the command, and it says it's an invalid command. I tried dropping it into C:/users/rig1 as well, and it didn't work

williamthemac (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 03:43:07 PM

That would be super awesome-- do you have the URL for the site yet? I want to make sure I check it out.

I'm working on a website to help beginners with mining and litecoins, steering away from bitcoin because of the influx of ASICs, I'll be putting up a tutorial soon of how to get started with batch files and command line.  Apparently a lot of people who are proficient with Windows have a hard time with this... a few friends from work are just having a terrible time getting started so I am making this mainly to help them out.

Hopefully I can help you out in the process.  Working on getting a beta site done by the weekend. 

williamthemac (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 03:46:06 PM

I just downloaded GUI Scrypt Miner, any advice on how to fill in these fields? Can I use Burnside or should I use a different pool?
Damnsammit

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 04:04:35 PM

The pool doesn't really matter.  It's just your preference.  Burnside is good, I've used it before...

I think I am going to try and make my own pool in the near future.  But I need to upgrade.

the site is going to be brokejoker.com whenever i get it updated
williamthemac (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 04:18:08 PM

I think I have it setup -- is this right?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/weelboy/mining_zps52059173.png
Damnsammit

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 04:28:29 PM

I think I have it setup -- is this right?

Looks good!

Now you can adjust your batch file to include commands to try and boost your performance.

If you use "-i 19" you should see an increase in hashrate, but your computer will likely be unusable while it is mining.

williamthemac (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 04:34:56 PM

The thing is, I didin't actually end up using a batch file. I followed the instructions here:

http://cryptocur.com/litecoin/litecoin-ltc-gpu-mining/

But I didn't even end up doing exactly what he said. When I opened Cg-Miner, all I had to type in was the URL:port, Username, and password and it just started going. Now, I'm not really sure how to adjust the settings.

Also --how will I know when my mining is successful? Will coins just start showing up on Coinotron (I opted for them instead).

-William
williamthemac (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 04:38:40 PM

Also, how many kilahashes is a megahash?
Damnsammit

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 04:41:27 PM

Wait... are you mining BTC now?

If it were LTC it would be measured in KHash, not MHash.

SHA256(BTC) is easier than Scrypt(LTC), so the general rule of thumb is about 1000:1

IE, my 5850 does about 400MHash/s and also does close to 400KHash/s...
williamthemac (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 04:43:31 PM

No, I'm mining LTC -- at least I hope! But the information is showing as Megahashes, so I'm not sure how many kilahashes that is. I wanted to find out so I could calculate earnings.
Damnsammit

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 04:52:25 PM

No, I'm mining LTC -- at least I hope! But the information is showing as Megahashes, so I'm not sure how many kilahashes that is. I wanted to find out so I could calculate earnings.

Well that calculation will be off the charts.

With 1.81GHashes/s (your displayed speed on cgminer) (1,810,000 KHashes/s) you would be generating over 2000 LTC a day... or about $5500/day

I think you are mining BTC though Tongue
williamthemac (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 04:57:26 PM

How could I be mining BTC though?
Damnsammit

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 05:03:56 PM

How could I be mining BTC though?

Coinotron mines several cryptocurrencies... maybe you connected to the wrong server. 

Your shares are being rejected as well.

How did you start cgminer?  With a command line entry?  That guide says to use "cgminer --scrypt -o http://coinotron.com:3334 -u cryptocur.1 -p 1  --thread-concurrency 8192 -I 10 -g 1 -w 256"

Did you use something similar?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: