Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:27:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The man who stopped the motor of the world  (Read 3561 times)
Gordonium (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 06:36:47 PM

Barack Obama, who was the President, kept hammering his gavel for order, and we quieted down some, but not much, and you could see the whole place moving restlessly from side to side, like water in a pan that's being rocked. 'This is a crucial moment in the history of mankind!' Obama yelled through the noise. 'Remember that none of us may now leave this place, for each of us belongs to all the others by the moral law which we all accept!' 'I don't,' said one man and stood up. He was one of the young engineers. Nobody knew much about him. He'd always kept mostly by himself. When he stood up, we suddenly turned dead-still. It was the way he held his head. He was tall and slim - and I remember thinking that any two of us could have broken his neck without trouble - but what we all felt was fear. He stood like a man who knew that he was right. 'I will put an end to this, once and for all,' he said. His voice was clear and without any feeling. That was all he said and started to walk out. He walked down the length of the place, in the white light, not hurrying and not noticing any of us. Nobody moved to stop him. Obama cried suddenly after him, 'How?' He turned and answered, 'I will stop the motor of the world.' Then he walked out. We never saw him again. We never heard what became of him.

We began to think of him whenever we saw another collapse in the world, which nobody could explain, whenever we took another blow, whenever we lost another hope, whenever we felt caught in this dead, gray fog that's descending all over the earth. Perhaps people heard us crying that question and they did not know what we meant, but they knew too well the feeling that made us cry it. They, too, felt that something had gone from the world. Perhaps this was why they began to say it, whenever they felt that there was no hope. I'd like to think that I am wrong, that those words mean nothing, that there's no conscious intention and no avenger behind the ending of the human race. But when I hear them repeating that question, I feel afraid. I think of the man who said that he would stop the motor of the world. You see, his name was Satoshi Nakamoto.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
de Heydon

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 07:15:59 PM

Where can I buy the book ?

I want to read the whole story.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 07:19:28 PM

Wow that's really decent writing. You didn't write that did you?

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 07:27:17 PM

Where can I buy the book ?

I want to read the whole story.

+1 please

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
donut

Activity: 248
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 07:28:22 PM

This is Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

http://www.usa-anti-communist.net/Atlas_Shrugged_Ayn-Rand.pdf (don't mind the domain)
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 07:38:09 PM

This is Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

http://www.usa-anti-communist.net/Atlas_Shrugged_Ayn-Rand.pdf (don't mind the domain)

Indeed, thank you sir.

@Gordonium, Atlas you did it again dude haha. Nice to know you're still around and kicking  Smiley

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Gordonium (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 08:01:51 PM

@Gordonium, Atlas you did it again dude haha. Nice to know you're still around and kicking  Smiley

I am not Atlas.
Gordonium (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 08:07:09 PM

This is my act of loyalty to every creator who ever lived and was made to suffer by the force responsible for the system Satoshi dynamited. To every tortured hour of loneliness, denial, frustration, abuse he was made to spend—and to the battles he won. To every creator whose name is known—and to every creator who lived, struggled and perished unrecognized before he could achieve. To every creator who was destroyed in body or in spirit. To Satoshi Nakamoto. To a man who doesn’t want to be named, but who is reading in this forum and knows that I am speaking of him.
wdmw

Activity: 199
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 08:12:17 PM

My act of loyalty to every creator who ever lived and was made to suffer by the force responsible for the system Satoshi dynamited. To every tortured hour of loneliness, denial, frustration, abuse he was made to spend—and to the battles he won. To every creator whose name is known—and to every creator who lived, struggled and perished unrecognized before he could achieve. To every creator who was destroyed in body or in spirit. To Satoshi Nakamoto. To a man who doesn’t want to be named, but who is reading in this forum and knows that I am speaking of him.

Not off-topic, but on a side-note, at what point is not citing sources in a forum post equate to plagiarism?  I see this quite often, and its mildly disturbing to not cite that someone else wrote it.
Gordonium (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 08:17:31 PM

Not off-topic, but on a side-note, at what point is not citing sources in a forum post equate to plagiarism?  I see this quite often, and its mildly disturbing to not cite that someone else wrote it.

Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 08:31:19 PM

Barack Obama, who was the President, kept hammering his gavel for order, and we quieted down some, but not much, and you could see the whole place moving restlessly from side to side, like water in a pan that's being rocked. 'This is a crucial moment in the history of mankind!' Obama yelled through the noise. 'Remember that none of us may now leave this place, for each of us belongs to all the others by the moral law which we all accept!' 'I don't,' said one man and stood up. He was one of the young engineers. Nobody knew much about him. He'd always kept mostly by himself. When he stood up, we suddenly turned dead-still. It was the way he held his head. He was tall and slim - and I remember thinking that any two of us could have broken his neck without trouble - but what we all felt was fear. He stood like a man who knew that he was right. 'I will put an end to this, once and for all,' he said. His voice was clear and without any feeling. That was all he said and started to walk out. He walked down the length of the place, in the white light, not hurrying and not noticing any of us. Nobody moved to stop him. Obama cried suddenly after him, 'How?' He turned and answered, 'I will stop the motor of the world.' Then he walked out. We never saw him again. We never heard what became of him.

We began to think of him whenever we saw another collapse in the world, which nobody could explain, whenever we took another blow, whenever we lost another hope, whenever we felt caught in this dead, gray fog that's descending all over the earth. Perhaps people heard us crying that question and they did not know what we meant, but they knew too well the feeling that made us cry it. They, too, felt that something had gone from the world. Perhaps this was why they began to say it, whenever they felt that there was no hope. I'd like to think that I am wrong, that those words mean nothing, that there's no conscious intention and no avenger behind the ending of the human race. But when I hear them repeating that question, I feel afraid. I think of the man who said that he would stop the motor of the world. You see, his name was Satoshi Nakamoto.

Look, bud, I'd like to be with you on all that, but I just don't know.  It's all you can do these days to just keep out of trouble, keep your head low, and maybe if you're lucky keep your job.  Anyway,

"Who is Satoshi Nakamoto?"

Smiley
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 08:40:14 PM

I am not Atlas.

Whatever

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 05:36:06 PM

Nice Smiley

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 06:26:20 PM

The industrial motor setting was most relevant to Ayn Rand's time and fit the book well. I could see the same meeting of the Federal Reserve where a young financer by the name of Satoshi stands up and walks out to stop the modern day motor of the US, the financial sector.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 03:12:25 PM

The industrial motor setting was most relevant to Ayn Rand's time and fit the book well. I could see the same meeting of the Federal Reserve where a young financer by the name of Satoshi stands up and walks out to stop the modern day motor of the US, the financial sector.
Except rather than the financial sector being the modern day motor of the world he might see it more like a tree, struck down by lightning, which had long ago largely died and the trunk was hollow, the wood having rotted away and fallen out.
biggie

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 10:48:27 PM

Lets start from about 1913 and see how things developed into the shit most of the population lives in today.
alan2here

Activity: 1778
Merit: 504

WorkAsPro

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 06:13:17 PM

From that extract, I'd love to help or for us to work together. Do you write any less political stuff, maybe fantasy? I'm good at poetry too but bad at starting from a blank canvas :-P

████     ████     ████              ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
████    █████▄    ███               ████▀▀▀▀███▄
 ███▄   ██▀███   ████   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ████    ▀███
 ▀███  ▄██  ██   ███                ████    ▄███
  ███  ██▀  ███ ▄███    ▄▄▄▄▄▄      ███████████▀
  ▀██▄ ██   ▀██ ███     ██████      ████
   ██████    ██████    ███  ███     ████
   ▀▀▀▀▀     ▀▀▀▀▀    ▄██▀  ▀██▄    ▀▀▀▀
                      ███    ███
                     ████████████
                    ▄███      ███▄
                    ████      ████
....WorkAsPro...
First 
Crypto-powered
Freelance Service
....NO KYC...
0% Commission
....Fiverr Alternative...
Blockchain Voting System
    ▄█▀█▄
    █▄ ▄█
     ▀▀▀
▄▄  ▄███▄         █
██ ███ ██        █▀
██ ███ ██       ▄█
██ ███ ▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀
██ ▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 █▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
  ██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▀█
▄█▀       ▀█▄ ▀█
▀▀         ▀▀  ▀▀
....Join us now...
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2013, 06:16:10 PM

From that extract, I'd love to help or for us to work together. Do you write any less political stuff, maybe fantasy? I'm good at poetry too but bad at starting from a blank canvas :-P

Perhaps you can work with the original author, Ayn Rand.

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 12:47:47 PM

Lets start from about 1913 and see how things developed into the shit most of the population lives in today.

Umm....actually it's remarkably better than most peoples' lives in 1918, or 1944, certainly better for those in China than 1972, for any in Russia before 1992.  It's certainly better economically for most of Asia than anytime in the past, as Asia is largely lifting itself up to first world status.

Beer production is way up versus 1913, too.
payme4work24

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 07:07:29 PM

Interesting read, although I disagree about some Tongue
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: