Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:58:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Password change warning  (Read 181 times)
Shitcointalk (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 110

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 02:26:47 PM

I just changed my password, using the security question instead of email recovery, because more convenient. My account had like 7 post, so it is not like I care so much.

Then, I got banned ! No way to login with my new password, my account is locked.
And as I have seen, it can takes month to unlock an account !!!

So be aware, stick with email recovery to change your password, and NEVER use the security question, if you don't want to be banned. I understand now why they do not recommend it... cause it is not working !  Cheesy

Seems to me like something that could easily be fixed, and admin could focus on stolen account request instead of this bug.
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SureLockLoans

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 02:28:52 PM

The only way this happens is if someone clicks on the lock account feature which was introduced recently. This would require someone to have access to the email address that the account was created with.

The security question likely didn't cause this but its recommended not to use that anyway.

Shitcointalk (OP)

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 02:46:47 PM

I didn't even connect to my mail box, and I haven't been hacked, so it seems very unlikely that I locked myself. Unless there is another way to lock an account.

I did changed my password twice this week, but I don't see how it could be an issue.

I am pretty sure something is wrong with the security question feature.
SureLockLoans

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 02:51:10 PM

I didn't even connect to my mail box, and I haven't been hacked, so it seems very unlikely that I locked myself. Unless there is another way to lock an account.

I did changed my password twice this week, but I don't see how it could be an issue.

If you are 100% sure that it didn't get locked via the email and got banned instead. Then it's probably due to the posts that the accounts have made or pms that it has been sending.

AFAIK you can change your password as many times as you want and you won't get banned for it. The security question is a feature which isn't recommended to be used because it's easier to guess than a password. It won't lock the account though.

Include the username here and maybe a staff member could shine some light on why the account is banned/locked.

Shitcointalk (OP)

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 03:17:02 PM

If you are 100% sure that it didn't get locked via the email and got banned instead. Then it's probably due to the posts that the accounts have made or pms that it has been sending.

AFAIK you can change your password as many times as you want and you won't get banned for it. The security question is a feature which isn't recommended to be used because it's easier to guess than a password. It won't lock the account though.

Include the username here and maybe a staff member could shine some light on why the account is banned/locked.

My account name is: pedrojok
Like a couple of weeks old, and maybe 6 or 7 posts ! Hope I didn't get banned for so little !!!  Cheesy

I agree with you, you can't get banned for changing your password, that wouldn't make any sens. But that is pretty much what happened, and so the reason why I opened this topic. Something went wrong, and if there is an issue, hopefully it can be fixed, so it doesn't happen to other.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: