Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 07:49:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Like to know how the next difficulty adjustment could be influenced upwards  (Read 309 times)
sqid (OP)

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 04:16:37 AM
Last edit: November 24, 2017, 04:32:02 AM by sqid

At time of this thread.    www.fork.lol suggests next difficulty adjustment in about 18 hours and expected to to be decreased about 2%

With a pump in BCH happening it's safe to assume that the assault on BTC is not finished.  If they can combine their resources it is a possibility that the BTC transactions could be unconfirmed for an unlimited time.  If difficulty is adjusted upwards in 18 hours then BTC would have a problem.
sqid (OP)

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 06:12:47 AM

I have been expecting the difficulty to go down in the during the next 18 hours in order for the adjustment to make it go up for the next phase.

I would suggest that all pools move over to BCH immediately to try to sway the difficulty adjustment for BTC to adjust down.   There will be a big pump on BCH coming and despite what the profitability is saying now you will be doing your customers a great service.

There is a lot more mining hardware on the market right now, that has suddenly appeared on markets like alibaba.  Think that there could be far more mining power out there than is anticipated.

Interesting video by 500bitcoins     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccqHh-Pv8Co
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 06:24:13 AM

At time of this thread.    www.fork.lol suggests next difficulty adjustment in about 18 hours and expected to to be decreased about 2%
2% drop in difficulty is nothing really!

With a pump in BCH happening it's safe to assume that the assault on BTC is not finished.
it is never finished, it just changed form.

If they can combine their resources it is a possibility that the BTC transactions could be unconfirmed for an unlimited time.  If difficulty is adjusted upwards in 18 hours then BTC would have a problem.
this doesn't make any sense!
you say that website is predicting difficulty to drop then you say "if it goes up"!

besides if difficulty drops, that means it becomes easier to mine bitcoin. more blocks are going to be found, more blocks mine more transactions, less transactions in the mempool, smaller backlog, and we will have lower fees.
not that it matters though, because it is being "adjusted" to match the hashrate that exists meaning there will be 1 block per 10 minute that is supposed to be mined. and as i said 2% is nothing.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
sqid (OP)

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 08:10:51 AM

What I'm saying is that BTC supporters should try to make the difficulty increase now so that is taken into account when the difficulty adjustment takes place in 14 hours.

In approximately 14 hours we will have relatively high difficulty compared to BCH (can't seem to find out what their difficulty will be) and a wanton abuse of mining power along with an enormous amount of money pumping and supporting BCH.  All of this making BTC unusable and/or less attractive to mine.

I do wish I could have a serious discussion with a knowledgeable group - I'm not saying that group is not here but it's difficult to find.   This forum must be the busiest on the net right now!

I also wish I knew how I was included in this decentralised consensus

Also I would like to see a fair debate on BTC vs BCH

Rolling Stones - 'Can't always get what you want'

sqid (OP)

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 08:22:10 AM

You say the competition between BTC and BCH is never finished but at the end of the day they cannot survive together, so if BCH haven't given up yet they have something stronger coming than last time.

It might be that the whole game is not about trying to win but about creating the most amount of FUD - to which I am also succumbing

Glad to hear that 2% is not significant
sqid (OP)

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 06:17:21 AM

Can someone tell me how long it would take for the next new block if hash rate suddenly dropped by 50%
Tone147

Activity: 221

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 08:08:16 AM

In the next difficulty, bitcoin will go up again, and every time it is difficult to adjust, there will be a small increase, seize the opportunity

DCC│Distributed Credit Chain
    Empower Credit, Enable Finance   
GithubFacebookMedium ‹‹‹dcc.finance››› RedditTwitterTelegram
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3261

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 08:35:36 AM

Can someone tell me how long it would take for the next new block if hash rate suddenly dropped by 50%

If the difficulty drops by 50%, then blocks will be produced twice as fast, assuming that total hash doesn't change. However, because the cost of mining a bitcoin has halved, miners may switch from BCH, increasing the total hash power, and blocks will be even faster.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
sqid (OP)

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 07:32:47 AM

If the difficulty drops by 50%, then blocks will be produced twice as fast, assuming that total hash doesn't change. However, because the cost of mining a bitcoin has halved, miners may switch from BCH, increasing the total hash power, and blocks will be even faster.

Thanks for that.  So now I know that the block rate is a linear correlation to the difficulty.

What about an immediate 10% drop in hash rate?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: