Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 10:17:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Lottery Idea  (Read 1024 times)
RaptureJesus (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 02:49:34 AM

Hello Bitcoin community, I am not new to bitcoins, but I am to these forums. I would like some feedback on a project that a friend and I are making. We thought, Hey wouldn't it be cool if there was a type of Lottery using bitcoins? Well, we created a website http://bitpool.webs.com. We have some information on there about how it will work, but we are looking for suggestions as how to make it more clear. Our plan is to have several "Pools" open where you send .05 Bitcoins to a wallet, that we have set up. We have dates set from when the pools are open to closed, and when the pool closes, we will use a number generator to determine who the winner is. Ill try to explain it more clearly, 1st, there is no sign up. You go to a pool, where we have the details, our test pool is open now, and will run until the 4th of July. Right now we have it set to .05 Bitcoins per entry. When the date ends, we will post the wallet numbers in order of entry in a spreadsheet, numbered 1-x. If we have 100 entries, we will number them 1-100. We will then run a random number generator http://www.random.org/ to determine the winner. We will post the spreadsheet with the winner highlighted, and then send 95% of the pool to the winner via their wallet that we receive payment from. I would like your feedback on a few things such as. How can we make this more official or legitimate. This is not going to be a scam, and we would like to have this official, so we are trying to show participants that this is a fair lottery. My friend and I will not enter the running, and will be happy to make our 5% profit from the pool (which from our calculations is very little and what we believe to be fair.) We are also wondering if our different pools should have different rates, such as pools where instead of using .05 Bitcoins, you use .1 etc. We are also wondering if having more than one winner would be a good idea, for example, drawing 2 or 3 numbers, and splitting the pot accordingly. I would appreciate it if you guys would check out the site, and leave any ideas or feedback that you think would improve the site. For anyone who is interested, the site is operational, so if you would like to try it out, we have a more complete explanation of how it works on the site.

Thanks for your help.

P.S: we have done some research, and yes, this is legal. As bitcoins are virtual currency, and are tax free. They are not considered real currency by the government.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bitlotto

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

BitLotto - best odds + best payouts + cheat-proof

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2011, 02:58:07 AM

Well there is bitlotto.com!  Wink
I have a few questions but I'll have to come back later when I have time. Some things need to be worked on before you ask for money! How to be transparent and eliminate cheating are critical if you want to have people spend money. I'll be back....

*Next Draw Feb 1*  BitLotto: monthly raffle (0.25 BTC per ticket) Completely transparent and impossible to manipulate who wins. TOR
TOR2WEB
Donations to: 1JQdiQsjhV2uJ4Y8HFtdqteJsZhv835a8J are appreciated.
RaptureJesus (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 03:25:31 AM

Alright thanks. Yes how to be more transparent is what my partner and I are trying to work out. My suggestiwends send emails to the person who buys essentially a ticket with the number they received (in order) And have a live feed of when we generate the number. We really do have good intentions, and appreciate your suggestions.
BitcoinBabe

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Side-stepping the matrix | Bit by bit

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2011, 05:13:20 AM

Well there is bitlotto.com!  Wink
I have a few questions but I'll have to come back later when I have time. Some things need to be worked on before you ask for money! How to be transparent and eliminate cheating are critical if you want to have people spend money. I'll be back....

Hi,

Wondering if you have an affiliate program for your lottery.

I'm looking for interesting things/ways to to promote BTC on my site/blog. Your lotto sounds like a good one.

Babe

bitlotto

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2011, 10:58:48 AM

I'm looking for interesting things/ways to to promote BTC on my site/blog. Your lotto sounds like a good one.
Thank you. Right now I don't have any type of program for promotion other than word of mouth. I may have one in the future but right now I can't really afford it. The 1% cut I take right now just barely pays for the hosting/domain. I can't really offer cheaper tickets or anything as that would be unfair to the other ticket holders. If you did mention my site though I would be honored. If you have any questions about how I operate just PM me.

RaptureJesus: After paying does each person get a unique message that they then contact you for picking a number or is the message the ticket? Is it possible to prove how big the jackpot is? How do you know what address to send the winnings to? Are you just going to ask after the winner is picked?

*Next Draw Feb 1*  BitLotto: monthly raffle (0.25 BTC per ticket) Completely transparent and impossible to manipulate who wins. TOR
TOR2WEB
BitcoinBabe

Side-stepping the matrix | Bit by bit

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2011, 11:19:43 AM

Thank you. Right now I don't have any type of program for promotion other than word of mouth. I may have one in the future but right now I can't really afford it. The 1% cut I take right now just barely pays for the hosting/domain. I can't really offer cheaper tickets or anything as that would be unfair to the other ticket holders. If you did mention my site though I would be honored. If you have any questions about how I operate just PM me.

No problem. I've added you to my site's links.

RaptureJesus (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 01:24:50 PM

I honestly did not know there was another bitcoin lottery site. I'm starting to think making the site isn't a great idea.
bitlotto

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2011, 01:35:21 PM

I honestly did not know there was another bitcoin lottery site. I'm starting to think making the site isn't a great idea.
Oh...I'll have a mod move a thread to gambling so more at least can find it....

TOR2WEB
fortismilites

Activity: 32

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 01:36:59 PM

I wouldn't give up on the lottery idea, you can still make another lottery to compete with them. Its like the lottery in real life, there are lots of em.
RaptureJesus (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 04:27:42 PM

Alright, well, we may not give up the idea. We will just try to find a different niche than Bitlotto. So if anyone has any ideas on how to increase legitimacy, and delete all chances of cheating. Again, check out the site and if you see anything that should be clarified, please let us know. bitpool.webs.com
[Thor]

Supreme Commander of the Asgard Fleet

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 04:39:25 PM

I think lottery, that depends on bitcoin network only is better.
Now I'm working around this.

RaptureJesus (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 04:58:02 PM

One thing that has been suggested which we thought would be a good idea is being able to show how many bitcoins are in each pool. Does anyone know how to embed that? Is there a way to post the bitcoin balance in the pools with html? Thanks again for all of your help.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: