Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 05:54:02 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 8 X RX VEGA 64 + Z270-A + Blockchain drivers TROUBLE  (Read 459 times)
whrmu5 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 12:50:35 PM

Hello, I'm new here and I registered to ask for some help.
I 've recently built a rig with 8 x Rx Vega 64 , Z270-a , 2 PSU's 1500 W and 1200 W , ssd , 8 gb ram .
I can make it work with the newest driver , install the cards one by one until windows recognises all of them , but I cannot do with the Blockchain Driver.
If I install the blockchain driver I cannot go past 5 cards. If I install the 6th , BSOD.

I mention that I have made all the bios settings , 4G decoding , PCI-e 1 , i tried with 2 , disabled fastboot , etc.
It's not my first rig so I have built more in the past but it's the first time this happens.

If you guys have some ideas , I want to hear them .
Thanks in advance
h311m4n

Activity: 487
Merit: 266

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 01:53:50 PM

I 've recently built a rig with 8 x Rx Vega 64 , Z270-a , 2 PSU's 1500 W and 1200 W , ssd , 8 gb ram .
I can make it work with the newest driver , install the cards one by one until windows recognises all of them , but I cannot do with the Blockchain Driver.
If I install the blockchain driver I cannot go past 5 cards. If I install the 6th , BSOD.

I mention that I have made all the bios settings , 4G decoding , PCI-e 1 , i tried with 2 , disabled fastboot , etc.
It's not my first rig so I have built more in the past but it's the first time this happens.

Thanks in advance

I haven't yet built am 8x vega rig, only 8x rx rigs using the z270-a as well. From the sound of it, I'd say it's a driver issue.

Did you run DDU several times to clear the old driver?

Also beware of faulty risers, although it doesn't sound like it's your problem.
P00P135

Activity: 1123
Merit: 136

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 01:56:13 PM

Thanks in advance

Did you try switching to compute mode with the newest drivers?  Also are you using the latest windows build?
whrmu5 (OP)

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 02:06:45 PM

Hi, everytime I uninstalled , I uninstalled the drivers using DDU.

I think it's some driver related problem , since with the newest it works and with blockchain drivers it doesnt.

Regarding compute mode I haven't seen compute mode for vega in the latest driver.

Did they enable it ?
stivilica

Activity: 8

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 07:46:23 PM

I have identically the same situation with you but without a solution yet. i haven't see also the compute mode in the latest driver for vega...

I think it's some driver related problem , since with the newest it works and with blockchain drivers it doesnt.

Regarding compute mode I haven't seen compute mode for vega in the latest driver.

Did they enable it ?
stivilica

Activity: 8

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 02:13:39 PM

I finally solve  the issue: In case of a Asus Prime Z270-A MB, and 8 GPU (vega in my case) I have used both M2 slots without using PCIE X16_1 (the main one).
Now it's working perfect with 8 GPU and Blockchain driver!

Enjoy

I have identically the same situation with you but without a solution yet. i haven't see also the compute mode in the latest driver for vega...

Did they enable it ?
gerrybakker

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 05:14:27 AM

stivilica,

can you help me by being more clear about what you did to get your ASUS Prime Z270-A Mobo to work? It has latest BIOS Version 1203 x64  Build date: 12/25/2017

I have one of these great Mobo's but it's driving me crazy trying to get 8 new Asus RX580 Dual Series OC Series 8GB to work reliably. They use the Hynix memory so I have purposefully searched for and tried proper BIOS for them and even reflashed back to original factory version - nothing improves it. I have a 1200 watt power supply - plenty of power but at its limit with 6 video boards so I have tried it with less boards just in case it was a power issue. I have the Corsair 1200i power supply.

I have tried it in new Linux and new Windows 10 installs on separate drives and they both stop after random amounts of time but usually within minutes. I have struggled countless hours trying to adjust RX580's with suggested BIOS settings but no luck. I have tried just one RX580 and same results as six RX580's but longer time before random reboot.

Windows just suddenly drops communications with the cards and seconds later the system restarts to do it all over again. Windows also gets confused after adding 3 RX580's not responding to me clicking on Widows start button etc. It seems some type of electrical noise is keeping it too busy to respond as expected.

Linux reports this on the screen - many times and then behaves like the Windows install dropping communication with the video cards and rebooting:

pcie bus error: severity=corrected, type =physical layer, id=00e6(receiver ID)
device [8086:a290] error status/mask=00000001/00002000

Looking at the Linux errors it seems to imply a bad connection or timing issue with the PCIe bus. I have version 007 risers that are brand new.

I've done what I can to review Mobo BIOS settings. Could you share your Mobo BIOS settings with photos of every single screen setting and BIOS version?
I have updated Mobo BIOS to the latest version from within Advanced settings upgrade so I know I have the latest version.

I have tried the August 23rd Blockchain driver and the very latest AMD drivers set to COMPUTE but they all result in the same behavior - random resets. I can't get this rig to mine for more than 10 minutes before it goes down.

I wonder if it is as simple as one little check mark somewhere that I have wrong. I would feel a lot better knowing exactly what your Mobo Bios version and screen shots for every single setting is to try to duplicate your success.
gerrybakker

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 04:47:52 AM

After all the grief I reported - it turned out to be the least technical of all - my power supply was flaky right from the start. I replaced it when a new one came in and everything is rock solid.

Apparently 6 RX580's and the motherboard actually draw about 1280 watts from the wall. The 1200 watt Corsair 1200i simply couldn't do it and was sending out a lot of ripple. I replaced it with am EVGA 1300GP and it instantly worked like I dreamed of but I expect running RX580's on the new one at so close to its rating simply isn't fair to it and would eventually cook it too. I bought a nice little $20 watt meter to figure some of this out. There was quite a difference between the Corsair and the EVGA evidenced by the fact that when the Corsair was turned off all the lights went out. When the EVGA was switched off there was obviously power for about 20 seconds after. That would indicate to me that the  EVGA had a nice big capacitor in it to be able to supply that much stored energy after being switched off. That, if true, would smooth out any power supply ripple as compared to one without a big capacitor.

The Corsair 1200 didn't behave well even when I only had one RX580 running. Maybe it was broke right from the start.
MATTX

Activity: 74
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 04:16:14 PM

best gold standard psu's gives 93-95% output max.

DERO: CryptoNote Privacy + Smart Contracts   (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2525508)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: