Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:18:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Suprnova is selfish-mining BTG, and HOW YOU CAN BEAT THEM TO MAKE MONEY  (Read 294 times)
Dijkstra6666 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 01:03:02 PM

=======What happened?========

Suprnova is selfish-mining or steal-mining BTG for the last several days.

NOTE: I am not whining. I simply want to teach everyone how to beat them.

=======What is the proof?=======

1. Math:

a. For the last several days, the luck of suprnova is worse than 100% (150%). Yes, it fluctuates. But when you have almost 70% of the net hash rate and you average over 3 days. This is simply wrong.

b. Other mining pools have extremely bad luck comparing to suprnova. Some pools cannot mine anything for days.

c. The network difficulty is significantly lower than it should be if you calculate the network total hash rate of BTG.

2. I attacked their selfish-mining scheme and I made +100% profit out of it. I will teach everyone how to do so!

=====What they are doing?=======

After a few hours of studies on BTG chains and nicehash.com. Here are what they are doing.

Scheme 1. Exploiting their hash rate dominance to do selfish mining. When they mined a block, they may reserve the block for a few seconds to delay the computation of other pools on the next block. They can do this because they have over 70% of the computation power. If other pools mined any block in the between, they can easily make the mined blocks of other pools orphaned. This generates illegal profit for suprnova at the cost of other pools.

Scheme 2. Sometimes, supernova will discard received shares. When this happens, you will always see a drop in the suprnova hash rate. Some of computation power that suprnova directly controls will mine at another place while the main suprnova pool is stagnant. This guarantees a huge profit for suprnova at a cost of people who connect to suprnova. This also keeps the network difficulty low because some hash power is locked inside suprnova.

Note that these may not be 100% accurate but they must be doing something similar. Otherwise, I won’t be able to make the profit out of it.

====How you can make profit?=====

So far, these may seem like a fairy tale but I have attacked their schemes and made a profit out of it.

The way to do it is very simple. All of these self-mining tricks rely on the control of over 50% of computation power. The second scheme is especially tricky and it requires to control even far more than 50%. There is a nice place which you can rent equihash power called nicehash.com.

When the difficulty was low on BTG a few hours ago, I rented roughly 20M hash rate (possibly by outbidding the suprnova guys) from the nicehash.com and directed to another pool (btgpool.pro). BTGPool.org suddenly mined a lot of blocks consecutively. Significantly more than what 20M~30M should mine. This is because suprnova was possibly executing the second scheme and some of the network hash rate is locked inside the suprnova.

After a while, more people switched to btgpool.pro because of the raise of the luck of btgpool.pro. It continued to a point where Suprnova no longer controls 50% of the hash rate. BTGPool.pro continued to outperform the theoretical expectation. Because suprnova was possibly still executing the schemes and losing money for not controlling 50% computation power. I kept my order on nicehash.com until a point where btgpool.pro dominated the BTG mining. The network difficulty raised significantly for the first time to a point that matches the supposed theoretical value. So I canceled my order.

I spent less than 0.8BTC and mined more than 50BTG. If suprnova is going to do this again, anyone can use the same strategy to make profit.

==========More Notes===========

1. To everyone who wants to make money:

I am busy working on a new equihash miner and I do not have time to watch my nicehash.com orders to be a policeman. Even though doing this will give me a pretty good profit. I want to share this with everyone in bitcointalk, so that I can go back to continue my own work.

Generally, if people using their 51% dominance to do selfish mining, you brings more hashpower via nicehash.com to beat them, you will be awarded Smiley .

2. To miners:

Please distribute your hashes to prevent anyone controls 51% of the computation power. Pools who dominate more than 50% can do far creepy things than this.

3. To those smart guys in suprnova:

I believe during the last several days, you have made enough illegal money out of this. Please stop doing this. I believe you will stop after my post. Otherwise, you are going to give free money to everyone.

Best,
Dijkstra6666

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
LoraineLY

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 01:18:32 PM

What the .......
I suddenly realized why I got almost nothing from mining yesterday!!! I was so confused why my profit was so little, it didn't make any sense to me. Now I finally got it. Thank you!

I'll re-post your post to mining sub forum. Hope more people can see this!

ocminer
Legendary

Activity: 2660
Merit: 1240

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2017, 02:35:04 PM

Lol Smiley

Two newbies, posting in both threads, at the same time and the same bullshit.. Coincidence ?

So much FUD in one post ? Wow Smiley

It's funny to read .. especially because there are two Newbie-Accounts with only a few posts... Hey Mr. Competitor-Pool.. Keep it fair please !

1. You cannot easily withhold blocks for several minutes, every share you send has a timestamp and every block you solve (with that share) has this timestamp included, so I cannot just the blocks in queue here and send them out when I want. Also if some other pool would find a block during that time, all my withheld blocks would become invalid.  (Google for "nonce", "timestamp" and "bitcoin")

2. If I would point miners hash to some other coin or some other pool, all the miners would see a disconnect, a reconnect and a sudden change of difficulty of the coin they mine.. For example ZEC has a higher diff then BTG and a different pool would also have a different value which miners would all notice immediately.

The "exploit" you've explained is just the big problem which nicehash (or other rentals) is introducing with Prop-Pools, you steal from the small miners - that doesnt work on Suprnova because the pool is PPLNS:

http://give-me-coins.com/support/faq/what-is-pplns/

On every other Pool, Prop Payout schemes work so, that the guy who submitted the most shares on the current round gets the most coins. So even if there are 1000 small miners, everyone with lets say 100 shares do a lot of work for a round and then you come in with your nicehash rental and send 1000000 coins into the same round, YOU get the most of the round and the small miners get nothing.

On Suprnova you have PPLNS payment, that payment scheme looks over the last 25 rounds and counts those shares percentage on the current rounds value. So if you have had like 50% of the last 25 rounds, you get 50% of the current round... If you only had 10 %  you get only 10 etc..

Oh and at last the luck factor: We had <70% luck over the last days so bad luck HAD to come - you can't cheat the universe, you always will have good days and you will have bad days, no doubt about it.

So.. Before you do another high-class technical analysis Dr. Djikstra, please try to gather some background knowledge on blockchains before that Smiley

Oh and maybe you should post a few infos about all the bugs that were found in the z-nomp implementation which was modified for BTG which most other pools are running as well ? Miners hashing hot air for nothing there... At least partly Smiley

suprnova pools - reliable mining pools - #suprnova on freenet
https://www.suprnova.cc - FOLLOW us @ Twitter ! twitter.com/SuprnovaPools
jambo110
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 01:53:25 PM

If it wasnt for OCminer a lot more would of made a loss, Ive been with OC since day 1, i have much respect for this guy, he could walk away anytime he likes then your all left to the devices of others, good luck with your hunting and i hope the help is a quick and honest as we have been getting from OC.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: