Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:54:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best linux distro for bitcoind?  (Read 2152 times)
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 03:11:07 AM

If I was to host a bitcoind installation for a webserver, and I'm a complete linux noob, what would be the best version of linux to use?

Also, is there an installation guide for how to install bitcoind on a linux box?  I don't want to compile it or anything, just want it to run.

Also, would it be a good idea to keep the website server and bitcoind server separate, not on the same box, for security reasons?  Or is that not a concern?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Wayen

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 03:29:21 AM

People will always have their fav linux distro but i'm sure debian would do it nicely! Debian is very easy to manage with apt-get, you can install and update any software with a single command line and i'm sure bitcoin has is own package ready... (But i never tried with bitcoin yet)
unbuttered_toast

Activity: 47

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 04:35:54 AM

The best distro is the one that you are most comfortable with. This is because you'll want to keep it up to date with security patches and turn off services you aren't using.

Aside from that, I tend to prefer Slackware because, while it does have you editing configuration files by hand, it is very straightforward once you get past the initial learning curve (which is, admittedly, sizable). I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to you if you don't want to jump in with both feet. Then again, maybe the correct jumping approach is two-footed, if you're going to store bitcoins there.

Running bitcoind on Linux goes about like this:
1. Unzip
2. Run Wink

You can fiddle bits and make it start automatically too, if you want, but I haven't bothered. I'm probably not the best person to help, but until someone else steps up, what do you have in mind for the website?
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 06:17:13 AM

Thanks for the input from both of you.

I can't reveal the project at this time... sorry!
unbuttered_toast

Activity: 47

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 02:22:25 PM

I only wanted to know what the relationship between the website and the bitcoind instance would be. If it's completely automated, chances of you getting any additional "real" security from having them on separate boxes is low, but you could at least avoid someone trivially copying the wallet out of a home directory, say using a privilege escalation attack in combination with some attack that gets them initial access to the web server.
bitlotto

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

BitLotto - best odds + best payouts + cheat-proof

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2011, 02:32:48 PM

CentOS will probably be one of the most secure ones. It takes the source from Enterprise Redhat and re-compiles the their source so it's free without buying the Enterprise edition. It's heavily tested BUT because of that, some things are older and not as leading edge. Great updates too for security. Worth checking out!

*Next Draw Feb 1*  BitLotto: monthly raffle (0.25 BTC per ticket) Completely transparent and impossible to manipulate who wins. TOR
TOR2WEB
Donations to: 1JQdiQsjhV2uJ4Y8HFtdqteJsZhv835a8J are appreciated.
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 03:12:46 PM

Ah, makes sense unbuttered.  Yes, it will be more or less completely automated.  I'll be getting a security audit done on the site when it is completed, so hopefully whoever does that can share more opinions on that front.

bitlotto - thanks.  One of the VPS solutions I am looking at comes with centOS as the default OS, so I might go that route.  Security is definitely the most important factor.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: