Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:19:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: how can i tell  (Read 330 times)
bitcointroy (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 02:50:37 PM

another noob question here.

Thanks for all your help.  I mined all night and although it was not  a lot I want to test to make sure my wallet is working. It is stored at coinbase.com. question is there a 3rd party software program that will show that there is something in  the wallet. coinbase shows no balance, because it is in the .00001 area i think. Thanks for all your help.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
aleksej996

Activity: 490
Merit: 389

Do not trust the government

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 03:01:39 PM

You really shouldn't be using an online wallet. At least use Electrum if you don't want to run a full node. You can even install it on your smart phone and it is open source.

That being said, if Coinbase let's you access your private keys, then import them in your own software wallet like Electrum and check the balance yourself.

Alternatively, if you know your Bitcoin address then you can also put it in a block explorer to see the balance.
Blocktrail and blockexplorer.com are some examples of block explorers.
teddy5145

Activity: 714
Merit: 528

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 03:21:43 PM

another noob question here.

Thanks for all your help.  I mined all night and although it was not  a lot I want to test to make sure my wallet is working. It is stored at coinbase.com. question is there a 3rd party software program that will show that there is something in  the wallet. coinbase shows no balance, because it is in the .00001 area i think. Thanks for all your help.
If you know your Coinbase address you can search it on Blockchain, but if Coinbase uses shared address then you can't since your balance will be mixed up with other transaction.
I don't know exactly whether Coinbase use shared address or not, but you can try to search your Coinbase address, there's no harm in trying.
or you can contact their support and explain your situation, they might help and tell you your balance, but if you put the correct address when mining, your coin should be there in your Coinbase account.
As far as third party software, no.

I suggest to setup a new Desktop based wallet instead as you will be the true owner of your coin.
Head on to https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet to see Desktop Wallet you can use Smiley
bitcointroy (OP)

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 03:29:27 PM

Well i have to agree. I need to use a local wallet.  After reading what you both said and messing with Electrum I need to make this switch. any pointers on the easiest way to go local?
teddy5145

Activity: 714
Merit: 528

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 04:22:03 PM

Well i have to agree. I need to use a local wallet.  After reading what you both said and messing with Electrum I need to make this switch. any pointers on the easiest way to go local?
Just download Electrum and create a new wallet, after creating them you will be presented with Seeds consist of random words, don't lose them as you will need these in order to restore a backup of your wallet if somehow you lost it/deleted.
Inside Electrum itself there are "Receiving" tab, those are your addresses that you gave to your miner or whoever that wants to send coins into your wallet.

Unfortunately you can't import Coinbase wallet directly as their private key are stored safely and inaccessible for their users, but you can send those coins from your Coinbase account into your Electrum address.
As for security, never install suspicious software and always run weekly scan on your PC to make sure there are no Keyloggers or Malware snuck inside your PC.

I think that's it for Electrum, if you got more questions regarding Electrum you can go to Electrum sub-forum here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=98.0

bitcointroy (OP)

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 04:46:55 PM

wow. amazing help. thanks. does electrum support alt coins?
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 05:11:25 PM

wow. amazing help. thanks. does electrum support alt coins?

The "normal" electrum client? No. You will need to use something like jaxx.io and coinomi, which i personally wouldn't really recommend due to the issues some of these wallets apparently had in the past.

You can however download a forked version of electrum for coins such as bitcoincash, see https://electroncash.org/ as an example.

Be wary that these might often be scams/software with hidden viruses. Always check the PGP + see if it is opensource/recommend by the developers/other people.

bitcointroy (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 06:22:59 PM

i'm using etherscan to view my wallet id to see if it is working after 1 week of mining. I use mist to sink my wallet. here is my wallet id. why does it not show any ether? 0xb2c10ac3E5Dfc30744a245902577dFdB763Aef4C
Thanks for your help
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: