Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:19:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [3/20] Casascius 1BTC silver round @ 2BTC+S&H [USA/CANADA Group Buy]  (Read 858 times)
nubbins (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 02:54:03 PM
Last edit: July 05, 2013, 05:23:11 PM by nubbins

Price reduced to BTC2 per coin, plus shipping!

It seems that I'm not the only one who would like some of the sweet new 1BTC 1oz silver rounds from Casascius. They're so beautiful!

But buying them in singles is pretty expensive: BTC2.5 plus shipping! So, why don't we combine our resources and do a group buy?

I recently organized a worldwide group buy for some friedcat t-shirts (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=230843.0), so I've learned a lot about what works and what doesn't.

If you're still not sure if you can trust me, please take a look through that last link, and notice that I actually gave the entire group a partial refund when we hit a volume milestone.

So, if you're still with me, here are the details:

Cost:
BTC2 per 1oz silver round

Shipping:
Canada: for up to 5 rounds via Xpresspost (tracked)
USA: for up to 5 rounds via Xpresspost (tracked)
International: You're probably better off finding a local group buy. for up to 5 rounds via Xpresspost.

Totals:
Your total cost will be BTC((2 * n) + s), where n is the number of coins, and s is your shipping cost.
So, for example, 3 coins to Canada would be ((2*3)+), and 5 coins to USA would be ((2*5)+).

How to order:
1) Calculate your total cost, with shipping included, and send the equivalent BTC amount to 1DbQaiCzkD6pjMAc3BGtdNBFuey4gxiVQA.
2) Post your forum nickname, number of coins, total cost, and transaction id to this thread.
3) If we reach 20 coins, I'll order a roll from Casascius, and send out everyone's coins on the day that I receive them.
4) If we don't reach 20 coins after a reasonable amount of time (say, 1 week?), I'll give everyone a full refund.

Orders:
nubbins; 3; BTC6 (local pick-up); no TXID

Who's next?

No longer buying/selling Casascius coins. Beware scammers.
My OTC Web of Trust ratings / What's a PGP chain of custody?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ixne

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 03:02:44 PM

2.25 btc/coin - So this isn't a group buy, so much as a reselling for profit?  And you're not even using your own money for the initial purchase, you want people to send you money so that you can buy a roll and sell it for profit?

20 Coins from Casascius = 38 BTC + 0.55 shipping = 38.55 BTC => 1.9275 btc/coin
nubbins (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 03:16:28 PM

So this isn't a group buy, so much as a reselling for profit?

Find me a group buy where the organizer isn't making a profit. These things take a lot of time and effort to organize. Smiley

You want people to send you money so that you can buy a roll and sell it for profit?

Yes, that's correct. However, I'm not the only one who benefits: the buyers benefit, too. Keep reading:

20 Coins from Casascius = 38 BTC + 0.55 shipping = 38.55 BTC => 1.9275 btc/coin

1 coin from Casascius = 2.5 BTC + 0.35 shipping = 2.85 BTC/coin
1 coin from me = 2.25 BTC + 0.24 shipping = 2.51 BTC/coin

You seem to be under the impression that everyone who wants one of these coins is willing to buy a roll of 20. Some people don't want 20, they only want 1 or 2. I'm offering them a way to purchase them at a lower price than they'd be able to get otherwise.

I'm not sure why you have a problem with this, since this is how the entire world operates.  Huh

nubbins (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 03:18:55 PM

(The cost difference is enough to buy a silver 1oz Maple Leaf and a few beers out of the savings)  Grin

ixne

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 03:25:01 PM

I don't know what kind of group buys you have been participating in, but the idea behind a group buy is not to enrich the organizer but to pool capital and share equally in the value.  I have no problem with reselling if that's what you're branding your activity as, and I have no problem with people throwing their money away either if they are fully aware of what they are doing, but I do want people to be clear that these prices are not reflective of a true group buy.

A reseller takes the risk of stock by fronting with his/her own capital. Anything they don't sell, they eat. You are trying to have the best of both worlds by taking others' capital and none of the risk.

None of the group buys I have participated in have charged more than the unit cost + shipping. There are so many to point to, but why not use something topical. Real example of a group buy:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1h8na6/casascius_silver_1btc_group_buy/

Cost per coin calculated + shipping = price

not

Arbitrary coin cost + shipping = price

In short, I find your offer disingenuous at best.  But caveat emptor...
ixne

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 03:32:07 PM

(The cost difference is enough to buy a silver 1oz Maple Leaf and a few beers out of the savings)  Grin

The cost difference is 1.95 BTC in hand + 2 free 1 BTC silver rounds for yourself, or 6.45 BTC at your prices...I would find a cheaper place to buy beer if I were you.
nubbins (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 03:56:08 PM

The idea behind a group buy is to get things for cheaper than you would otherwise, which is still the case here.

The guy running that group buy on reddit obviously does not value his time in any way. He's willing to spend several hours organizing buyers, updating spreadsheets, verifying payments, repackaging coins for reshipment, going to the post office, etc, all for free.

I'm not interested in arguing semantics, nor am I ashamed in any way by my actions.

I'm not willing to work for free just because some teenager from Europe is.

Thanks for the comments, enjoy the weekend Smiley

Silfax

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 03:59:23 PM

Hehe, some teenager from Europe.

But yes, I'll plug my own GB: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1h8na6/casascius_silver_1btc_group_buy/

A total of 2.18/coin (for US) rather than the 2.49 you'd be paying here!
nubbins (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 05:04:07 PM

Hehe, some teenager from Europe.

But yes, I'll plug my own GB: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1h8na6/casascius_silver_1btc_group_buy/

A total of 2.18/coin (for US) rather than the 2.49 you'd be paying here!

Posting a link to your own GB in someone else's GB thread is crass.

Please do go ahead and send hundreds of dollars to a newb with only 23 posts and no transaction history, who is suspiciously willing to donate hours of his time for free, just so strangers can get these coins at wholesale prices.

Or, for only BTC0.32 extra, make your purchase from a forum member who has been trusted with money before, has experience sending a lot of packages out in a short period of time, and whose motivation is obviously turning a profit and not just running away with your money.

If you want to see what kind of train wreck you might be buying into with Silfax's at-cost GB, go look up Arklan's USB Block Erupter group buy. People were waiting two weeks for their products to get sent out from the organizer.

Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 05:47:57 PM

I participated in nubbins' T-shirt buy and it went very smoothly.

I'm interested in these coins. Count me in for at least 3.

I'd also do 3 of the new Casascius silver 0.5btc coins if you want to do those too (I'd prefer to do them in the same buy to save on shipping).

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
nubbins (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 07:53:33 PM

I'd also do 3 of the new Casascius silver 0.5btc coins if you want to do those too (I'd prefer to do them in the same buy to save on shipping).

Thanks! Glad you like your shirt Smiley

I could add three silver halfs to your order for BTC1.75 each. As I mentioned in the other thread, I've requested the old Series 2 holograms, which will only be available for a very short period of time.

I also have about 20 brass halfs, if anyone is interested in adding a couple of those to their order for BTC0.9 each.

Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 08:44:56 PM

Thanks! Glad you like your shirt Smiley

I could add three silver halfs to your order for BTC1.75 each. As I mentioned in the other thread, I've requested the old Series 2 holograms, which will only be available for a very short period of time.

I also have about 20 brass halfs, if anyone is interested in adding a couple of those to their order for BTC0.9 each.

Yes, the shirts are nice. Worn it out a bunch - nobody has commented yet. Waiting to see if anyone at the weekly Vegas bitcoin lunchmob figures it out.

About the coins - I missed that about the Series-2 holograms. Will those be on both denominations?

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
nubbins (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 08:49:18 PM

Yes, the shirts are nice. Worn it out a bunch - nobody has commented yet. Waiting to see if anyone at the weekly Vegas bitcoin lunchmob figures it out.

About the coins - I missed that about the Series-2 holograms. Will those be on both denominations?

Just on the halfs:

Hm. How many 0.5BTC brass holograms are set aside for the silver coins?

I anticipate limiting the availability of the brass coin sticker to perhaps the first couple weeks of orders, and up to a max of 1 tube per customer.

nubbins (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 03:48:21 PM

This buy didn't get much traction, but I still really want some of these coins, so I've decided to drop the price to BTC2 plus S&H.

Please see the OP for updated pricing and shipping info.

nubbins (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 05:24:10 PM

Bumping this, as I've updated the OP's price and shipping information.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: