Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:17:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase CEO Brian Armstrong Says: Bitcoin & Cryptocurrencies are the new stock  (Read 424 times)
Goosebump (OP)

Activity: 161
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 08:11:34 PM

Check it out fellas, I gave my 2 cents about the subject in the video but I would love to hear your thoughts on what he said in the interview as well. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gel1GLJd3Ec
Xavofat

Activity: 938
Merit: 559

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 08:19:39 PM

BTC is absolutely nothing like a stock, because it does not represent a centralised entity, while a stock does.  A stock will always represent a centralised entity, while a (good) cryptocurrency will always be a decentralised network.

You can't measure the sales or profits of a cryptocurrency, nor can you measure the users or other fundamentals which are relevant to deciding a stock decision. 

The exception to this is ICOs, but they involve a centralised entity who collects the funds, and it's only the token itself which can be decentralised. 
Goosebump (OP)

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 09:12:53 PM

BTC is absolutely nothing like a stock, because it does not represent a centralised entity, while a stock does.  A stock will always represent a centralised entity, while a (good) cryptocurrency will always be a decentralised network.

You can't measure the sales or profits of a cryptocurrency, nor can you measure the users or other fundamentals which are relevant to deciding a stock decision. 

The exception to this is ICOs, but they involve a centralised entity who collects the funds, and it's only the token itself which can be decentralised. 

Thank you for all of that information, I agree with the point you've made. What do you think about their new hedge fund, "Coinbase Custody"?
Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 09:26:20 PM

I heard this recently too. In fact I think it was an interview with this guy on Russia Today (RT) on YouTube. He is pretty much right except that crypto compared to the stock market is like nothing. All the cryptos in the world aren't even as big as Apple so if you think about it from that perspective, there is still essentially unlimited room to grow.

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
hodlftw

Activity: 326
Merit: 104

Santa Coin

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 09:30:10 PM

I heard this recently too. In fact I think it was an interview with this guy on Russia Today (RT) on YouTube. He is pretty much right except that crypto compared to the stock market is like nothing. All the cryptos in the world aren't even as big as Apple so if you think about it from that perspective, there is still essentially unlimited room to grow.

The crypto markets as this poster above talked about is a relatively untapped market. Yeah it has grown 12x+ this year already with room for more but still this is a young industry yet. I think that in 2018 we will see market

surpass 1 trillion and from there the true flood gates will open. I figure after 2018 unless you live under a rock or a tribe you will have heard about bitcoin it is that powerful.

coinmagnet1

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 09:33:05 PM

Coins from ICOs are in many ways like owning stocks, without all the headaches associated with buying and selling regular stocks. Less transaction fees, instant transfer of ownership - this is the new reality, and I love it!
MiningSensei

Activity: 766
Merit: 509

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 09:41:14 PM

I dont like the idea of comparing bitcoin with stocks. Maybe they are now being controllated by a lot of instutions right now (just like stocks do)

If you look at the latest prices movements of bitcoin and if you connect those movements with the facts, it is obvious that it has been manipulated, maybe this is the only coincidence that it has with stocks.

But no, of course, it is not a stock, and it can not be compared because they are entire different system. Bitcoin is like an universe, and stocks are just countries.

And know that this came from the CEO of coinbase really breaks my heart.

Hello
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 09:46:25 PM

I took it to mean that investors that previously would have put money into stocks are now turning to Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. Just speaking generally in terms of which assets to invest in. In that sense, he's right. Polls find that millenials are becoming more interested in Bitcoin than stocks as an investment.

It'll be interesting to see whether that trend continues over the next few years, particularly if Bitcoin experiences another bear market. That is, the stock market could be seen as more "reliable" in the sense that there is longer time in between bearish cycles. But the gains are also much smaller, hence why young people and Wall Street are both getting interested.

helloeverybody
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2017, 09:53:08 PM

the thing with cryptos is , its a lot easier for new people to get into than buying stocks and you have more control over whats happening and when u can cash out etc. I think a lot of the younger generation would favour cryptos anyway and imo theres still alot of money to flow into it.

Thirdspace

Activity: 1232
Merit: 738

Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 09:57:46 PM

Coins from ICOs are in many ways like owning stocks, without all the headaches associated with buying and selling regular stocks. Less transaction fees, instant transfer of ownership - this is the new reality, and I love it!
you could say that when you are profitting from the ICO, but what if it turned scam?
have you ever wonder why so many countries against ICO? because it's hard to regulate...
companies, stock issuers, stock owners, investment managers and etc are all identifiable and must follow certain rules
all related parties must be registered and fully comply with centralized institutions

with bitcoin and cryptocurrency, the ideas are decentralize and anonymousity
cryptocurrencies and stocks are based on different foundations, but of course both can give you investment gain
now if you got scammed in crypocurrency, it is a lot harder for you to get your money back
and the ICO perps could get away easily, easier than those who were involved in stocks business

shursight

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2017, 10:00:44 PM

What the hell.. This can not be possible, how the fuck is he able to compare bitcoin with stocks? What is the point with figuring it out?

I have never been interested in stocks because i dont like the idea of making a company have full control of my shares because they can easily manipulate the price of each one of them, maybe not "the" company, but other companies are able to manipulate stocks too.

This is a garbage, he really made a big mistake because bitcoin is a different thing from stocks, a really different thing and it can not be compared because the whole technology is different.

++++++
+++++++   ++++++
+++++++  +++++++
++++++   +++++++
+++++  +++++++++
      ++++++++++     
+++++++  +++++++
+++++++   ++++++
++++++++  ++++++
++++++++   +++++
++++++++   +++++
+++++++

XRPNow
Ripple Price & News
XRP Price / Ripple News /
XRP Price Prediction

++     
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++

COINDOO
Latest Blockchain and Cryptocurrency News   
Bitcoin News Today

++     
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++

THECCPRESS
Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Tabloid
Blockchain News Today
fudster

Activity: 1190
Merit: 255

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 10:02:16 PM

Regardless of being centralized or not.

Its true already. Trading on exchanges is the same thing as trading on stock market. If you pay fees on brokers every  time you do transactions, its what you also do in crypto. Sad part is that exchange lock accounts, getting into stock market will need you to  provide details even bank accounts before you can even make single transaction.
streetlight

Activity: 253
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 10:13:32 PM

Of course Brian is going to say that. He is one of the biggest scammers in the space. But he is clever. Now he is calling these things stocks so he is really trying to appeal to the masses now, while remaining compliant with the authorities whose dick's he sucks. Clever, but sooner or later he's just going to be a Jamie Dimon who think they have power over all the people in this world, because AMERICA FUK YEAH!
squatter
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196

STOP SNITCHIN'

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 10:20:29 PM

What the hell.. This can not be possible, how the fuck is he able to compare bitcoin with stocks?

They're both liquid assets that can be bought and sold on exchanges, or through brokers. They're both investments, are they not? The stock market has been hot for years. Now it's time for crypto. I think that's what he's saying.

Its true already. Trading on exchanges is the same thing as trading on stock market. If you pay fees on brokers every  time you do transactions, its what you also do in crypto. Sad part is that exchange lock accounts, getting into stock market will need you to  provide details even bank accounts before you can even make single transaction.

One difference is that with stock brokers, you generally pay a flat fee to buy/sell. On cryptocurrency exchanges, we pay % fees, so we end up paying a lot more. Who came up with this % commission stuff?

That will be one of the perks of ETF trading -- flat fees. Also, trading from retirement accounts (tax free). Can't wait! Cheesy

hiVe

Activity: 254
Merit: 250

https://www.soar.earth/

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 11:13:07 PM

Of course! Nowadays, We research Bitcoin and altcoins to buy and wait until they go up. That is the same with stocks.

▄  ▄
             ▄█▌  ▐█▄
            ███    ███▄
          ▄████    ████▄
        ▄██████▌  ▐██████▄
       ▄████████  ████████▄
      ███████▀▀    ▀▀███████
    ▄███████   ▄██▄   ███████▄
   ▄███████▌   ▀██▀   ▐███████▄
  █████▀▀                ▀▀█████
 ███▀▀      ▄██▄▄▄▄██▄      ▀▀███
▀▀       ▄▄████████████▄▄       ▀▀
    ▄▄▄████████████████████▄▄▄   
▄████████████████████████████████▄

▄██████████████      ▄▄████████▄▄            ▄█▄          ▐█████████████▄ 
▐██▀                ▄███▀▀    ▀▀███▄         ▄███▄         ▐██        ▀▀███
███                ▐██▀          ▀██▌       ▄██▀██▄        ▐██          ▐██▌
▀███▄▄    ▄▄▄▄     ██▌            ▐██      ▄██▀ ▀██▄       ▐██        ▄▄███
  ▀▀▀▀    ▀▀███▄   ██▌            ▐██     ▄██▀   ▀██▄      ▐██    ▄▄█████▀ 
             ███   ▐██▄          ▄██▌    ▄██▀     ▀██▄     ▐██      ▀██▄   
            ▄██▌    ▀███▄▄    ▄▄███▀    ▄██▀       ▀██▄    ▐██        ███  
██████████████▀       ▀▀████████▀▀     ██████████▄  ▀███   ▐██         ▀██▄

World's 1st Fully Democratised
SUPER-MAP Using Drone Content
  / 
   FOR DRONE ENTHUSIAST  

▪ PRIVATE SALE REGISTRATION
  ▪ PUBLIC SALE: Sep 29th 2018

██████████████████            ██████████████████
       ███           ▄███▄           ▐███
       ▀████████████████████████████████▀
               ▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀
                    ▄█████▄
                  ███████████
              ▄▄████▀█████▀████▄▄
            ███▀▀    ▀███▀    ▀▀███
            ▐█         █         █▌
                      ▀█▀

JOIN THE PRESALE             
WHITEPAPER   PRIMER     TELEGRAM
TECHPAPER     TWITTER   MEDIUM

Live Demo
Goosebump (OP)

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 12:06:21 AM

Of course! Nowadays, We research Bitcoin and altcoins to buy and wait until they go up. That is the same with stocks.

While that is true, I think there is the potential for cryptocurrencies to become more than just a storage of value. Many people invest in crypto just for that aspect.
Goosebump (OP)

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 12:20:12 AM

I mean of course he is extremely pro bitcoin and optimistic it is his entire business to be so.

What are your thoughts on their new "Coinbase Custody" hedge fund program?
w5pn73

Activity: 635
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 12:37:25 AM

Well of course he is saying that, he is the CEO of Coinbase..  Grin I do think he's right though.
neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 12:39:37 AM

I mean of course he is extremely pro bitcoin and optimistic it is his entire business to be so.

I can understand why he would want to create that service. It is a service that will have high demand, like it or not. All that institutional money isn't going to download Bitcoin Core and have an airgapped machine to store private keys (as they should) so they will resort to a counterparty.

If Coinbase is ready to deliver this level of security ready to be such a counterparty of risk (we are talking about billionaire portfolios) it's another story. Armstrong may be punching out of his league here.
Goosebump (OP)

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 01:04:52 AM

I can understand why he would want to create that service. It is a service that will have high demand, like it or not. All that institutional money isn't going to download Bitcoin Core and have an airgapped machine to store private keys (as they should) so they will resort to a counterparty.

If Coinbase is ready to deliver this level of security ready to be such a counterparty of risk (we are talking about billionaire portfolios) it's another story. Armstrong may be punching out of his league here.

With bitcoin being the risk it is by nature though, how can coinbase be so confident in their storage of them, especially when dealing with billionaire portfolios.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: