Print  
Author Topic: .  (Read 10699 times)
Ivanhoe

Activity: 841
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 10:48:27 AM

Funny you should ask.
People should keep in mind that this is just a indicator. It isn't some kind of law which always applies. You should trade on news and data instead of this stuff.
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 10:53:54 AM

Funny you should ask.
People should keep in mind that this is just a indicator. It isn't some kind of law which always applies. You should trade on news and data instead of this stuff.

I disagree, you should trade on this stuff, then adapt your strategy according to incoming news.
Dalib

Activity: 462
Merit: 101

A Top Web 3 Gaming Layer2 Provider

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 11:35:31 AM
Last edit: July 02, 2013, 12:08:19 PM by Dalib

Funny you should ask.

I disagree, you should trade on this stuff, then adapt your strategy according to incoming news.

+ 100%
This is a psychological explanation of the development of prices in the waves and alternating bulls and bears period.
This allows us buy low (in hope) and sell high at the end of euphoria.

By the way, if the bear and bull wave were symmetric (but not necessarily) we could find the bottom somewhere between $ 30 - 55 (this is the optimistic variant, and a lot of great speculation)

oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 06:02:24 PM

I'm not coming back to this thread to gloat, but because I honestly would like to hear what your thoughts are on what is going on right now.

So, do you need to adjust your model? Or are you going to say this was within the parameters of what you expected?

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 06:15:05 PM

I'm not coming back to this thread to gloat, but because I honestly would like to hear what your thoughts are on what is going on right now.

So, do you need to adjust your model? Or are you going to say this was within the parameters of what you expected?

doubtful it needs adjusting... capitulation takes time.  You're a young one, aren't you?

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
Dalib

Activity: 462
Merit: 101

A Top Web 3 Gaming Layer2 Provider

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 06:17:23 PM

Panic begins, fall is accelerating ...

oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 07:02:54 PM

doubtful it needs adjusting... capitulation takes time.  You're a young one, aren't you?

And you might not be young, but you certainly don't like to read the rest of the thread, do you?

I was trying to find out what OP thinks about the rather drastic decline in price, after he said that his model picked up (somewhat opaque) buying pressure.

Had you read my earlier posts in here, you would have noticed that I questioned that. So I'm not the one surprised by the latest action :D

Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 10:13:50 PM

It is probably my original hypothesis that needs adjusting. The indicator (not really a model) still shows the response to the $OBV and BTCOBV regressions to be fairly balanced. Although the spread is getting a little wider now. Meaning that BTC demand is softening. OTOH, this pattern often occurs right before demand reverses.

The thing that will tell the tale of whether we are heading higher or lower is what occurs when trader's ability to manage liquidity on Gox returns.

Since, by my reading, there is still pent up demand I still have to say that there will be a concerted reversal in the direction of demand when this happens. Whenever the regression is above the current price level, which it is currently, I read it as pent up demand. Although, an alternative reading of that condition is demand destruction, I still do not believe that is what is happening.

Oh, it's a model alright. Then again, I have the habit to call every single of my inane ideas "theory". Physics people tend to call me out on that.

2 more questions? If you'd rather not disclose your methods any further, no offense taken.

(1) How did you conclude that your OBV regressions, in relation to price, if I understood correctly, are an accurate predictor? Do you have an actual correlation, or is the assumption based on eyesight?

(2) You lost me at "demand destruction". Do you have any good motivation to interpret the signal for "demand" as, well, the opposite of demand?

oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 11:10:37 PM

I see what you mean now. But is there any formal way (within your framework) of distinguishing between "erronous signal" and "demand destruction"?

tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3962
Merit: 1419

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 11:12:29 PM

You are probably wracking your brains trying to figure out where we are.

Near as I can tell we are in a part of the cycle very similar to the time period of April 11, 2012 to May 16, 2012. I base this on a supply/demand dynamic that I see through a form of OBV regression. It shows that longer term demand is slightly lagging but close to supply, close to balance. And for the short term up side and down side risk are also roughly balanced. But take this as a warning, the longer that the price is below the short term equilibrium point the more upside risk there is.

talking head talking.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 12:11:02 AM

tangentially related: do you have an opinion on positive/negative volume index?

Kazu

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 03:13:10 AM

What I can see is that demand has been lagging supply by a small, fairly consistent amount since about May 4th. So small, and so consistent that it appears to me to be something that is being actively managed. This is not something that can be undertaken profitably for the long term, particularly if price starts dropping below what the regression shows to be a demand equilibrium (the lower of the two). When that happens, pent up demand builds.

I expect this lag in price can be explained by the manner in which liquidity has been impacted on Gox. Once that situation is corrected I don't want to be on the wrong side of that trade. Bears have made the case that USD will flee Gox once withdrawals can be made reliably routine... My expectation is that the opposite will happen. That once confidence about being able to manage liquidity returns, the deposits will come rolling in.

Personally I chose not to wire money last week to mtgox because of the possibility they don't open up withdrawals, not to mention the inflated prices. To Bitstamp it went.

That is the dynamic that is causing price to fall on Gox, and consequently everywhere else, since everyone is correlated to Gox.

But this is in the form of pent up demand. You can tell by the way the bull-bears are salivating.

Thats actually a super-good way of explaining this.

So by this logic, we should be roughly half-way through the bitcoin 'depression' stage already? o.o

CoinLenders - Bitcoin Bank Script / Demo
1v.io/kazu - 15ccW7m6RxDFWEKc3P1NdwWpX1N1pU7gZ8
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 01:25:51 PM

tangentially related: do you have an opinion on positive/negative volume index?

Um, not reallly. They are indicators. They give you part of the story.

Well, they're wide apart right now. Judging by the charts, more than ever in bitcoin history, with PVI down and NVI up. I can sort of see an interpretation that would lend support to your hypothesis of as-of-yet unfulfilled demand.

randrace

Activity: 329
Merit: 250

LTC -> BTC -> Silver!

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 09:04:47 PM

But, I can say what I do because nobody pays attention... Just another ping in a sea of noise.

I'm listening... And I like what I'm hearing!

Great thread.
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 01:45:13 PM

By "positive demand" you mean non-lagging demand (compared to your initial posts)?

keystroke

Activity: 900
Merit: 1014

advocate of a cryptographic attack on the globe

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 02:59:37 PM

By "positive demand" you mean non-lagging demand (compared to your initial posts)?

Yes, that is what I mean.
So positive demand will act as a positive feedback loop to accelerate the price once we reach this number?

"The difference between a castle and a prison is only a question of who holds the keys."
candoo

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

Vertrau in Gott

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 04:46:32 PM

We see a very high dead cat bounce right now. Its just a question of time to drop off.

BTW you can win my avalon for only 1 BTC Shocked (raffle)!

Einer trage des andern Last, so werdet ihr das Gesetz Christi erfüllen.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 05:02:16 PM

We see a very high dead cat bounce right now. Its just a question of time to drop off.

BTW you can win my avalon for only 1 BTC Shocked (raffle)!

I really doubt you'll find 250 people who are willing to gamble that much.... but this is bitcoin.  Honestly, I'm surprised you have 9 already.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 10:00:18 PM

It's my feeling there are some issues with Gox and the flood of ASICs coming on the market and some market testing on the go.

While XBT may be undervalued what is the possibility of some safely offloading given the uncertainty in the near future?

This is very engaging.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
BitPirate

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

RMBTB.com: The secure BTC:CNY exchange. 0% fee!

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 02:54:23 AM

This is very interesting.

Wouldn't such "active management" be ultimately quite self-defeating (if the goal were to reduce volatility), in that it hides real supply and demand until a much greater tipping point is reached? When the "manager" finally capitulates, the price will be much more volatile than it would otherwise have been were price discovery to take place naturally. (Perhaps this is their aim?)

Assuming your hypothesis is correct, can you track back to see where the pattern first shows itself? Mid-May?

Also, for the sake of argument, how can you distinguish between manipulation and normal market activities -- e.g. large-scale arbitrage. It strikes me that other exchanges have historically anticipated Gox price movements (e.g. China markets are higher in a bull market, lower in a bear market, and very close if unsure).

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: