Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 10:08:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Maybe I am the last bull...  (Read 2705 times)
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 08:32:51 PM

You are not the only bull, there are plenty of people around who think the price will go up long-term. Some of us just realize the long-term and short-term can be moving in opposite directions.

Seems like an unsustainable situation though. Like I said, good luck not being the person who sold at the bottom.
Good luck holding when you could have doubled/tripled/quadrupled/etc your coins. (See what I did there?  Wink)

Pretty illogical to use that as a basis for ignoring sentiment and technical indicators. Many people realize that much more money can be made not using "buy and hold" strategy, which simply rejects countless opportunities to make profit.

I think some people are great at day trading.  It takes some skill though and perhaps some great intuition as to what the market is doing.  I would think it would be wise to always hold on to some because we could wake up tomorrow and BTC could literally be $500 a coin.  All it would take is something that would trigger a panic buy with a large number of people.  I personally do not trust myself enough to risk my little stash.  I always seem to pick the worst times to sell, then I buy back too soon.  I have broken even with my day trading experience so I figure I may as well just sit back and enjoy the ride.  But I do envy those of you who manage to work the system so much better than I do!  Well done!  Wish I had the skills, but it is good to know what our weaknesses are and be patient.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
Viceroy

Activity: 924
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 08:34:39 PM

Warren Buffet teaches that if you like it you should buy it and hold it and never sell.
mgio

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 08:37:34 PM

You are not the only bull, there are plenty of people around who think the price will go up long-term. Some of us just realize the long-term and short-term can be moving in opposite directions.

Seems like an unsustainable situation though. Like I said, good luck not being the person who sold at the bottom.
Good luck holding when you could have doubled/tripled/quadrupled/etc your coins. (See what I did there?  Wink)

Pretty illogical to use that as a basis for ignoring sentiment and technical indicators. Many people realize that much more money can be made not using "buy and hold" strategy, which simply rejects countless opportunities to make profit.

I think some people are great at day trading.  It takes some skill though and perhaps some great intuition as to what the market is doing.  I would think it would be wise to always hold on to some because we could wake up tomorrow and BTC could literally be $500 a coin.  All it would take is something that would trigger a panic buy with a large number of people.  I personally do not trust myself enough to risk my little stash.  I always seem to pick the worst times to sell, then I buy back too soon.  I have broken even with my day trading experience so I figure I may as well just sit back and enjoy the ride.  But I do envy those of you who manage to work the system so much better than I do!  Well done!  Wish I had the skills, but it is good to know what our weaknesses are and be patient.

Nobody is great at day trading. Some people are simply lucky over the short term.

Everyone will lose money day trading over the long term.
BitChick
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 08:39:40 PM

Warren Buffet teaches that if you like it you should buy it and hold it and never sell.

The best case scenario is that the early adopters hold for long enough, NEVER sell for fiat, then we can buy a new car for 0.001 BTC at some point. Wink

Like I said, I am definitely bullish on BTC!

Granted, I may be a little too much so.  Since I invested only what I can afford to lose, there is very little risk on my part though so I will just enjoy this ride.

BitChick
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 08:40:41 PM

Nobody is great at day trading. Some people are simply lucky over the short term.

Everyone will lose money day trading over the long term.

Probably true.  I guess it takes wisdom to realize that it is going nowhere and decide to just hold.  But there may be some experts out there that realize that too and are really able to work the system.  It is a gamble though.

SEC agent

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

America, land of the free

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 08:43:30 PM

Buffet sells stocks all the time.

"It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a Free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even of his personal services to the defense of it." -George Washington
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 08:47:45 PM

@MAbtc: You realize you are in a crowded room full of bears at a tea party, speaking vocally about how the bitcoin cookies taste awful while simultaneously creeping towards the last bitcoin cookie. You are going to be a hungry, hungry bear.
Again, telling people this doesn't make it so. You retaining this ominous tone that "you're going to miss the train" -- as the perma-bulls have been screaming for the past month as we slid from high 130s to low 90s -- isn't very convincing.

As for a being a hungry, hungry bear, I was happy to sell the last off my coins in the 130s and certainly am not selling at the bottom. I do not day trade and do not intend to panic. If I miss the bottom, whatever... my initial investment is recouped, I have profits locked in, and I certainly won't being buying in at a loss considering my past positions.

Let the bears have their time to make money.  Wink
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 08:52:22 PM

today everyone thinks that bitcoin "or something like it" is almost certainly going to be the future of how human civilization engages in trade and storing of value.
LOL, what a joke. Such a cult mentality.

Is that what you said about the internet?  Huh

I hope you're just trolling; either that or you don't understand tech.

Bitcoin 'or something like it' is here to stay.

I just registered for the $PLOTS presale! Thank you @plotsfinance for allowing me to purchase tokens at the discounted valuation of only $0.015 per token, a special offer for anyone who participated in the airdrop. Tier II round is for the public at $0.025 per token. Allocation is very limited and you need to register first using the official Part III link found on their twitter. Register using my referral code CPB5 to receive 2,500 points.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 08:53:35 PM

Buffet sells stocks all the time.

Warren Buffet says you would invest in what you're passionate about. and the more money you have to more true that becomes, because you know maybe some big players in this market place we call life! aren't looking for a quick buck, their here for the same reasons i am, to Do Something Worthwhile!

Malawi

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

One bitcoin to rule them all!

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 08:54:36 PM

^^This^^

Also, the price-swings make it more interesting. If you have some foreign coins to a country you might visit again, you put them in a drawer and don't think about them -Even if it's Zimbabwean notes. With BTC it's different, and that is one of the allures. It's half gambling, half future money and half geek-power. Thats 150%, more than enough reasons to follow BTC and be in/out according to the markets.

The fluctuations of BTC is a mayor selling-point for pinkies. Only thing that is missing is truly easy ways of getting in/out - easy as in Credit/debit Card and more places that accept it as payment. -Then everyone can speculate a little on price-fluctuations and discuss it over the water-cooler, and BTC might become the preferred method of paying online.

-Only bad thing is that when everyone wants to speculate, the price will become stable as BTC are traded at higher volumes and there will be a rush to buy if prices are a little lower than usual, and a rush to sell when prices rise too fast.

BitCoin is NOT a pyramid - it's a pagoda.
BitChick
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 08:56:24 PM

today everyone thinks that bitcoin "or something like it" is almost certainly going to be the future of how human civilization engages in trade and storing of value.

YES!

I keep reading articles about how people want to use their phones to pay for things.  The banks keep charging more fees for this, partially because of security issues and partially because they can make more money.  People will eventually get sick and tired of paying these fees and hopefully Bitcoin will be ready to come in and solve this major problem, as well as many other major problems, and we will see how Bitcoin is the future of how currency is traded.  It seems rather obvious and not a "joke."

The sooner the better I say.  Of course, we have banks and governments to struggle with first and it will not be that simple.

MAbtc

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 09:25:01 PM

See bolded. Do you really believe that's the current state of affairs? It's not clear to me that more than an extreme minority of people believe this. Obviously you believe it. And what of everyone?
chriswilmer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 10:19:38 PM

See bolded. Do you really believe that's the current state of affairs? It's not clear to me that more than an extreme minority of people believe this. Obviously you believe it. And what of everyone?

MAbtc... that's the point! SO FEW PEOPLE HAVE HEARD OF BITCOIN AND IT'S NEARLY $100 USD per BTC... that's extremely bullish in my opinion. Once more people know... the moon!
MAbtc

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 10:25:38 PM

MAbtc... that's the point! SO FEW PEOPLE HAVE HEARD OF BITCOIN AND IT'S NEARLY $100 USD per BTC... that's extremely bullish in my opinion. Once more people know... the moon!
That just means it was massively over-hyped. You could have said the exact same thing at $266 -- bullish then, too? You can't have hype cycles and simply continue to go up, up, up.
crumbs

Activity: 210

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 10:29:42 PM

I guess i agree.  I just don't find the "something like it" part reassuring... Roll Eyes
foggyb
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 10:30:43 PM
Last edit: June 28, 2013, 10:43:06 PM by foggyb

Is that what you said about the internet?  Huh

No, he didn't mean your grandmother or Paris Hilton.

Nearly everyone who is relevant has positive things to say about bitcoin technology.

Furthermore, opinions are just that. Many smart people have made silly predictions about technology that were precisely wrong. I look at what people are dong with bitcoin. Does it work, is it unique, is it useful, does it become more useful the more people use it, and does it have development potential? I believe all of those things are a yes. That's good enough for me, but it is always useful hear the opinions of experienced professionals from a spectrum of different fields.

I just registered for the $PLOTS presale! Thank you @plotsfinance for allowing me to purchase tokens at the discounted valuation of only $0.015 per token, a special offer for anyone who participated in the airdrop. Tier II round is for the public at $0.025 per token. Allocation is very limited and you need to register first using the official Part III link found on their twitter. Register using my referral code CPB5 to receive 2,500 points.
MAbtc

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 10:38:25 PM

Is that what you said about the internet?  Huh

No, he didn't mean your grandmother or Paris Hilton.

Nearly everyone who is relevant has positive things to say about bitcoin technology.
Yeah, and "everyone who is relevant" has nothing to do with mass adoption. Funny how "everyone" and "the future of...human civilization" is now "everyone who is relevant" -- a bunch of tech geeks.
foggyb
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 10:47:13 PM

Yeah, and "everyone who is relevant" has nothing to do with mass adoption. Funny how "everyone" and "the future of...human civilization" is now "everyone who is relevant" -- a bunch of tech geeks.

Digital P2P inflation-proof currency is absolutely in the future of human civilization. I'd take that bet any time.

These ideas are not going away. Deal with it.

chufchuf

Activity: 205

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 10:49:22 PM

BTC is like all the leaders of the tribe agreeing to make themselves richer. It is immune from what weaklings might say. Therefore in the 19th century it would have been an aristocrat, in the 20th a fascist and in the 21st it votes for Ron Paul.
xxjs

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 11:01:38 PM

Buy and hold.

Of course you can multiply your coins with daytrading. Here is how.

1. Look at the graph.
2. Travel back in time.
3. Buy.
4. Come back to present
5 Sell

Its like bicycling. It's easy when you have learnt it.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: