Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 01:00:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: (2FA) Two Factor Authentication  (Read 359 times)
MikePCarr (OP)

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 03:08:33 AM

There are some of wallets and exchanges that have (2FA) Two Factor Authentication. On the off chance that you are utilizing Google Authenticator and change telephones or lose your telephone, what happens at that point? Since you are filtering the QR code at first with that Google Authenticator application, would it say it isn't connected to that phone as it were?
TryNinja
Legendary

Activity: 2842
Merit: 7103

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2017, 03:43:50 AM
Last edit: November 28, 2017, 12:46:22 AM by TryNinja

I already answered that before. So here it goes:

I wouldn't recommend you to use Google Authenticator since you can't easily backup your accounts with it and it's not tied to your gmail account. This means that if you lose your phone and you haven't saved the 2FA secret code, your 2FA accounts are gone. I suggest you to use a open source app like andOTP (the one I'm using) that allows you to backup your 2FA accounts.

This means that you have 2 options:
a. Save every QR code image or secret code before enabling 2FA.
b. Use a 2FA app that allows you to backup your 2FA accounts (Authenticator Plus, andOTP, etc...).

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
coinspam

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 08:53:22 AM

b. Use a 2FA app that allows you to backup your 2FA accounts (Authenticator Plus, andOTP, etc...).
Authy is another good one that  allows backups.
Esmeral

Activity: 115
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 03:51:25 PM

2-factor authentication that adds a second level of authentication to the account credentials. When you only have to enter a username and a password to log in, it is one factor authentication. 2FA requires users to have two of the three types of credentials before they can access the account. Cry Cry
Dudeperfect

Activity: 1190
Merit: 534

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2017, 05:08:42 PM

I recently changed my phone and I rely on Authenticator when it comes to 2FA instead of SMS based OTP because you don't need a sim, network or even the internet connection to produce OTP for login authentication in Google authenticator.

However, one should understand that when you scan the QR code and add login option in the App, you link the device and not the Google account and hence you can not sync the database or accounts in your new phone. You have to keep your old phone with you and then you can change the 2FA device from the settings option on each and every website you chose.

In case of the lost phone, sadly there is no recovery option in Authenticator app. However, you might be able to change the 2FA device on the website by logging in through SMS based OTP. Some sites also provide a list of backup codes in case of emergency so you don't even need the device in such cases.
bitmagic1984

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 05:13:23 PM

we need to keep 2FA backup for each website when we initially enable it. Is there any option to backup after sometime we create it ?
kuroman

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 06:08:18 PM

There are some of wallets and exchanges that have (2FA) Two Factor Authentication. On the off chance that you are utilizing Google Authenticator and change telephones or lose your telephone, what happens at that point? Since you are filtering the QR code at first with that Google Authenticator application, would it say it isn't connected to that phone as it were?

Ok the first one is easy, if you are changing phones, You need to disable 2FA on all the websites you are using while having the phone, then install google authenticator on the new phone and use the usual the usual steps to set up 2FA again.

Now when it comes to losing a phone, you still can get to wallets or exchanges depending on the website backup solution, some will have authentify with another method, SMS for example others will require and here there is a human intervention, to send your ID the same ID you used for example to increase your limits, and some occurence you'd use a one use only code that you get when you set 2FA for example to log in.
shursight

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2017, 11:56:27 PM

I have never liked 2FA, they are just a shady service and maybe it is safe because it has been provided by google, but i does not mean anything.

I would never suggest you to use 2FA on your bitcoin wallets, you never know if your phone is going to be stolen, and you need to do a lot of verifications on the X site that you have the funds if your smartphone is lost/stolen.

They are providing a token for the recovery purpose, but it is a lie, because you need to do a lot of things in order to enable 2fa in another device.

It is a horrible idea to start using 2fa, specially if you have a lot of money in those wallets. I knew a lot of people who lost a LOT of money because of 2fa, and i am not talking about $100 or $200, i am talking about more than ten thousand dollars at least.

++++++
+++++++   ++++++
+++++++  +++++++
++++++   +++++++
+++++  +++++++++
      ++++++++++     
+++++++  +++++++
+++++++   ++++++
++++++++  ++++++
++++++++   +++++
++++++++   +++++
+++++++

XRPNow
Ripple Price & News
XRP Price / Ripple News /
XRP Price Prediction

++     
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++

COINDOO
Latest Blockchain and Cryptocurrency News   
Bitcoin News Today

++     
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++

THECCPRESS
Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Tabloid
Blockchain News Today
TryNinja
Legendary

Activity: 2842
Merit: 7103

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2017, 12:40:29 AM

I have never liked 2FA, they are just a shady service and maybe it is safe because it has been provided by google, but i does not mean anything.
"I never liked 2FA, they are just a shady service" < quote of the year.

I would never suggest you to use 2FA on your bitcoin wallets,
Worst advice ever.

you never know if your phone is going to be stolen, and you need to do a lot of verifications on the X site that you have the funds if your smartphone is lost/stolen.
Or just backup your 2FA codes as I already explained above.

They are providing a token for the recovery purpose, but it is a lie, because you need to do a lot of things in order to enable 2fa in another device.
Huh

You clearly don't know what you are talking about.

2FA isn't owned by Google because 2FA is a protocol and not an app. If you don't like the Google Authenticator app (the one owned by Google), you can just use one that allows you to backup your 2FA codes (like I said in my previous post - which I doubt you have read).

Do you know these Newbies who talk shit about Bitcoin being insecure because X wallet/exchange got hacked? You just did the same but with the 2FA technology.

It is a horrible idea to start using 2fa, specially if you have a lot of money in those wallets. I knew a lot of people who lost a LOT of money because of 2fa, and i am not talking about $100 or $200, i am talking about more than ten thousand dollars at least.
I LOL'd.

Here, let me help you:
https://www.securenvoy.com/two-factor-authentication/what-is-2fa.shtm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-factor_authentication

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Norcal2020

Activity: 58

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 01:16:38 AM

I use both DUO and Google Authenticator for various 2FA sites and recently upgraded my phone. As noted, make sure to temporarily disable 2FA on the sites (you will be making new QR codes) before getting activated on the new phone. In my case, I keep an older phone around (wifi only) that I also capture the 2FA QR code so if I ever lost my main phone, I have a backup on the second phone. Not sure if that's ideal for everyone but is pretty simple to set up once you activate new QR codes and "scan" with two separate devices.
albayalde

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 03:38:06 AM

2fa ? yap i've use it on my yobit and blockchain account, no one can in on my wallet/account except he/she have my phone/email, it's helpful to secure my account some people got hacked because they doesn't use 2FA for make their account more secure, and they are blame the wallet or exchange, what ? it was they fault then why blaming ? freak.
kuroman

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 08:57:46 PM
Last edit: November 28, 2017, 09:49:59 PM by kuroman

How to install 2FA softwear in my phone?

2FA or two factor authentication is another layer of security added to your password, you can have it under different form, such as receiving a code that last about a min via SMS, a phone call email ect, or by using an app that synchronies with the website or app you want to have 2FA with and  usually this what most people use.

So to use this one you need to download an authenticator such as google authenticator from the playstore or the appstore, once downloaded you to do the website in question you activate the 2FA option it will ask you what option you prefer, choose the google one, and then you get a QR code that you need to scan with your phone, make sure to have a backup.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: